Blue Knights 2012

Better be a very inventive and new version. It is like someone doing West Side Story again.

• Like 1

I sometimes think there an unstated list of tunes you just don't do for various reasons. One reason is that a tune has been done so much, by so many, so well. In the case of "Firebird" , it is on the list I would make of tune I would avoid.

Drum corps and many bands have done this music extremely well. A lot of it works on the field, I feel much of it does not.

I am eager to see and hear what they bring to it. Like last year's show, the aesthetic they are going for may be somewhat a bit of nostalgia.

In the Division I / World Class drum corps circuit, the last time movements from this piece were done was by BD and Phantom back in '07. Before then, the Cavaliers did it in '97 and in '88 before that - Cavies being the only corps (that's still around) to play the entire suite, rather than one movement from it, in their show. Knowing BK's seasoned design team (Ralph Hardimon, Marc Sylvester, and Jay Bocook... to name a few), I think that what you will hear on the field this summer will be unlike what you've heard in the past.

Edited by kentw
  • Like 1

Well, I have something to say about all this. :) I know the horn line is going to be a strength. People always tend to overlook the connection between brass and visual staffs. What Brad's staff and my staff do is work in concert. These kids are going to move well, and, as a result of the approach, play well... simultaneously. The beautiful thing about all this is everyone on this staff has been at the top of the game. Talk all you want about Sully's approach to visual design being a detriment to the brass program, but there is very little proof in the punch for that viewpoint. We expect people to want to be the best players on the move. We have to staff to deliver the info to get that done. The best part is we have a 'coalition of the willing' auditioning for the corps. I'm looking at the most coachable and willing group of auditioning kids in my three years here, every month. I have to tell you all that I'm excited about this summer.

Later

Jason Bentley

• Like 5