New to brass, new to drum corps, new to the forums!

Hey everyone!

This year I heard the DCI show at West Chester university and it blew me away! I bought the championships CD and poured over the music endlessly, and researched my favourite corps. I'm going to take up the trumpet and, hopefully before I'm too old, will be ready to audition for Jersey Surf! I'm not new to marching or playing musical instruments, but I've never played a brass instrument before. P.S. I was born in July 1994.

Any tips or knowledge from the drum corps experts out there?

You didn't mention which instruments you've played, but if you're converting from woodwind to brass it shouldn't be much of a problem. Many people have done it before. Stay in shape or you'll be gasping for air. If you're in a school band multiply it times ten.

Edited by Piper

You didn't mention which instruments you've played, but if you're converting from woodwind to brass it shouldn't be much of a problem. Many people have done it before. Stay in shape or you'll be gasping for air. If you're in a school band multiply it times ten.

Yeah, I'm coming from saxophones. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

DG,

Late response, but from people I've asked (I'm a retired drummer), you can change from woodwind to brass and back without ruining your embouchure. It doesn't hurt to have a teacher at any age. Follow your bliss (Joseph Campbell, Philosopher)

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone!

This year I heard the DCI show at West Chester university and it blew me away! I bought the championships CD and poured over the music endlessly, and researched my favourite corps. I'm going to take up the trumpet and, hopefully before I'm too old, will be ready to audition for Jersey Surf! I'm not new to marching or playing musical instruments, but I've never played a brass instrument before. P.S. I was born in July 1994.

Any tips or knowledge from the drum corps experts out there?

Start practicing on the instrument of your choice as soon and as much as you can. Man, those days when i was in drum corps were best times of my life. Good luck to you.