1979 Blue Stars is DCI.org Download of the Week

1979 Blue Stars is DCI.org Download of the Week

PS: Being that the first Download of the Week was January 10, 2011, this is the first DOW of the feature's second full year.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Good choice.

The Blue Stars could always be counted on for an enjoyable show. I’m not sure I would have predicted 79 would have been the last time Blue Stars would place in DCI until the next millennium since they always had a solid show and populist appeal. I remember feeling bad for Blue Stars in 1980. They bested Guardsmen a number of times and even Garfield, but placed 13th behind these corps. There’s also another thread that has a North Star member saying she was surprised North Star bested Blue Stars in prelims. By her account they did a lackluster show that day.

I’m glad Blue Stars persevered, though they are a very different corps.

• Like 1

Lots of memories here. 1979 was my first year with the Blue Stars, and I had the experience of the dreaded 13th place finish in 1980.:sad: I still think that "Strike Up the Band" was one of the most technical pieces ever put on the field (at least up to that point).

One of my fondest drum corps memories was waiting to go into the stadium to watch finals in 1980 when North Star marched by us to go onto the field. The whole Blue Star corps burst into applause for North Star as they passed us. I think about that almost every day as an example of how to put aside rivalries and cheer on your competitors and appreciate their success.

Edited by piperguy