SDCA questions

In reviewing the tentative DCA schedule, it's apparent that we have to have a circuit that resembles the RCA or NY-Penn circuits of the past. PA, Ohio, Western NY, and Canada. SDCA is doing just that and I will support it. They are expanding into many regions. My questions are:

1. Are all SDCA shows indoor? Is there any reason it couldn't have traditional outdoor shows in the summer, down the road?

2. Not a question but there are 2 or 3 corps in Pittsburgh, 2 in Dunkirk, 1 in Erie, 2 in Rochester, That's a show. There are many more that SDCA is in contact with. My point is that there many corps that could do this if they so choose, Not to mention the Canadian Alumni corps that would make an awesome show. Drill wouldn't have to be jazz running, just some movement for staging and visual interest, parade or concert formation if they like. Judging could be more music oriented or not judged at all. Have a crowd favorite chosen by applause. i've seen this in Buffalo.

3. I just think that with the economics of traveling, a regional circuit makes more sense for us. Seems like that is what east coast DCA corps are doing. Corps that travel great distances do that because they have to. They have no alternative if they want to compete. My point is that don't think too small. I wish SDCA the best and fully support them, for all of our benefit.

Edited by Santana

In reviewing the tentative DCA schedule, it's apparent that we have to have a circuit that resembles the RCA or NY-Penn circuits of the past. PA, Ohio, Western NY, and Canada. SDCA is doing just that and I will support it. They are expanding into many regions. My questions are:

1. Are all SDCA shows indoor? Is there any reason it couldn't have traditional outdoor shows in the summer, down the road?

2. Not a question but there are 2 or 3 corps in Pittsburgh, 2 in Dunkirk, 1 in Erie, 2 in Rochester, That's a show. There are many more that SDCA is in contact with. My point is that there many corps that could do this if they so choose, Not to mention the Canadian Alumni corps that would make an awesome show. Drill wouldn't have to be jazz running, just some movement for staging and visual interest, parade or concert formation if they like. Judging could be more music oriented or not judged at all. Have a crowd favorite chosen by applause. i've seen this in Buffalo.

3. I just think that with the economics of traveling, a regional circuit makes more sense for us. Seems like that is what east coast DCA corps are doing. Corps that travel great distances do that because they have to. They have no alternative if they want to compete. My point is that don't think too small. I wish SDCA the best and fully support them, for all of our benefit.

There's no rule against an outdoor or field show.Staging an indoor show may not be as effective outdoors,since indoor elements are more up close to the audience.The show we're hoping happens by one of our HS would be outside,but also have a gym availible if weather threatens.I would like the option of at least a 2 judge panel.One could do T&P and visual and a music judge.Critical feedback is always helpful.I'm looking forward to the regional format.Plus we go from the indoor guard show exhibition season to a spring/summer season.

QUESTION 1 ANSWER: Thanks for asking. when we first started this circuit it was designed for the Midwest smaller corps that did not have a venue. Being a smaller corps an indoor environment was better for the sound. Via the internet we are growing because this program seems to fit a lot of corps. We are now looking to add outdoor shows IF we can have corps large enough to fill the stadium with sound. DCI open class coordinator has been in contact with us as we have volunteered to provide a show or two to idle open class corps in the SDCA regions. These would be outdoor shows. Additionally SDCA is attempting to add a Midwest outdoor division we are calling SDCA FIELD DRUM CORPS- PLUS. (Currently we call ourselves SDCA ARENA DRUM CORPS-PLUS.) this Midwest circuit will invite DCI, DCA and SDCA corps to the shows. Hopefully each corps will cooperate and host their own show and then this Midwest circuit will be successful. Just as SDCA has expanded on request to other regions we will do likewise with SDCA FIELD DRUM CORPS - PLUS. We still feel that being part of SDCA will better prepare a corps for DCI or DCA if that is their direction.

QUESTION 2 ANSWER: Tom Corso, SDCAcorso@yahoo.com, is SDCA's Regional Director in the Eastern Midwest. Any corps that have an interest can contact him. I agree that you can have a show with the corps you listed. I accept you volunteering to put that show together, if that is what you are doing. Contact me first, President Chris Ferrara at SDCAferrara@yahoo.com and we can together put this show in motion for the 2012 season. Since SDCA's inception all of our shows are judged by the audience as they text in their favorite corps for that evening.

QUESTION 3 ANSWER: SDCA is established in what we call the "Eastern Midwest" with a center in Erie PA. It sounds like your corps is near that region. Please contact our regional director Tom Corso and get your corps invited to the shows near you. If I miss read your location, contact me direct and we will talk about how we can get your corps performance opportunities near you.

Thanks for your interest in SDCA

Edited by Arena Corps Guy

There's no rule against an outdoor or field show.Staging an indoor show may not be as effective outdoors,since indoor elements are more up close to the audience.The show we're hoping happens by one of our HS would be outside,but also have a gym availible if weather threatens.I would like the option of at least a 2 judge panel.One could do T&P and visual and a music judge.Critical feedback is always helpful.I'm looking forward to the regional format.Plus we go from the indoor guard show exhibition season to a spring/summer season.

Jeff, SDCA's only judging is by the audience, however, we do have "Evaluators" that talk onto the old fashion tape recorders and comment on your performance. These Evaluators should be the Brass, Percussion and Visual instructors for the corps that is hosting the show. The Host corps, if their show is in they home town community, will not be judged by the audience.

ok, I was just wishing there was a venue in this part of the country , I'm no organizer, if you can do it, great.

Edited by Santana