Roland Electronic Marching Percussion

40 members have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

There is a lot more to electronic music than just sampling or effects.... A LOT more. The use of electronics in indoor percussion and drum corps hasn't even really scratched the surface.

I have written for winter programs (visual, staging), have an education in composition from a reasonably decent school, and spend my life developing and deploying technologies. As a result, I have a somewhat reasonable idea what is and what is not easy.

Also, those that think something is difficult and don't bother try... are left to either sit in the stands and watch ... or buy the products of those who somehow get #### done because they are too stupid to not realize how hard it was.

Everything should be easy, even if it is hard... it is simply a mentality.

If there are no cables... what is the point of a board????? This is like using an ethernet wi-fi adapter.

Sound boards seem sort of archaic for many scenarios. Software is the the way forward.... sort of enhanced manual controls.

<sarcasm>Oh I'm sorry. I thought boards were still used in all facets of the professional entertainment industry</sarcasm>

Confirmed! Yeah, you really ARE on crack. You can't make any of this work without every kid having their own personal individualized monitor mix. Last I checked, that can only be done (RIGHT) with a strong engineer running a good board.

Again, i think the real way forward here is a simple wireless receive that communicates (also wirelessly) with a tablet running software to control the mix.

Yeah....your talking serious $$$$$$$$$ dude! And serious TIME in getting it just right......and you say this is more "economical"? BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last I checked, that can only be done (RIGHT) with a strong engineer running a good board.

Or software.

Yeah....your talking serious $ dude! And serious TIME in getting it just right......and you say this is more "economical"?

This stuff is really not as hard as you think.

Check this out...Rebirth

That was built by a couple of guys in a couple of months in tiny software company in Sweden.

Apparently also smoking crack is Mackie, who is starting to make

... and
... and MOTU ... and just about everyone else out there, including Roland, who has released their first iPad product with R-mix and has loads more of this stuff on the way later this year.

Anyway, this world is changing fast... and is not requiring loads of cash in R&D. This is more like 2 guys in a garage type opportunity.

Edited by danielray

Apparently also smoking crack is Mackie, who is starting to make

As a huge fan of Mackie products I've been waiting for this one for a long time. And at $1200, that's a steal (it will likely be $100-200 cheaper in real life). I'm getting one for sure.

It's also not as easy as you think. Even more...it's MORE expensive than you want to admit. There is NOTHING about it that is "more economical than acoustic drums". That is a FACT whether you want to believe it or not.

There is once you factor in more than battery and drum set. Tympani alone will be a budget buster. So much for your fact statement.

• Like 1

There is once you factor in more than battery and drum set. Tympani alone will be a budget buster. So much for your fact statement.

You think tympani and other front ensemble instruments are going to be phased out with an introduction of electronic battery percussion? I don't. No...my fact still remains. Nice try though.

We are ONLY talking about replacing battery percussion, Kamarag. That's IT! Front ensemble equipment will NEVER go away. We are only talking about replacing acoustic battery with electronic battery....making for a much more expensive budget than acoustic battery. That IS a fact!

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

You think tympani and other front ensemble instruments are going to be phased out with an introduction of electronic battery percussion? I don't. No...my fact still remains. Nice try though.

We are ONLY talking about replacing battery percussion, Kamarag. That's IT! Front ensemble equipment will NEVER go away. We are only talking about replacing acoustic battery with electronic battery....making for a much more expensive budget than acoustic battery. That IS a fact!

Tympani is already being phased out, especially in indoor. We've also started to see electronic mallet percussion start entering the arena as well, and if I was buying gear for a start-up unit, I'd take a long, hard look at stuff like the Mallet Kat. So again, what you claim are facts actually aren't.

• Like 1

Tympani is already being phased out, especially in indoor. We've also started to see electronic mallet percussion start entering the arena as well, and if I was buying gear for a start-up unit, I'd take a long, hard look at stuff like the Mallet Kat. So again, what you claim are facts actually aren't.

Kamarag, yes they are facts. Every high school owns a tympani regardless of whether they use one in their marching percussion activities or not. Ever heard of a concert band? Remember, we are not talking about drum corps here...check the context of the discussion. Same with mallet instruments. Every high school owns mallet instruments regardles of marching use.

So no, we are NOT talking about replacing any of that. We are talking ONLY about replacing acoustic battery (much more economical and practical) with electronic battery (much less economical and practical...ASIDE from isolated novelty use). YES! THAT IS A FACT!

Finally....OH GREAT!!! Let's take away the need for kids to hone their keyboard skills (a must for any college music major...as is tympani) because the new marching percussion can now generate those sounds (as toy and video game like as they sound). REAL EDUCATIONAL!!!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

Kamarag, yes they are facts. Every high school owns a tympani regardless of whether they use one in their marching percussion activities or not. Ever heard of a concert band? Remember, we are not talking about drum corps here...check the context of the discussion. Same with mallet instruments. Every high school owns mallet instruments regardles of marching use.

Oh, sorry, nice try. You are, in fact, dead wrong. I know of several high schools that do not own tympani. I also know of several that own electronic mallet percussion in one form or another. The times, they are-a-changin'. I also know of several high schools that, despite owning tympani for concert band, use electronic instruments for marching band and indoor percussion (mine being one of them).

So no, we are NOT talking about replacing any of that. We are talking ONLY about replacing acoustic battery (much more economical and practical) with electronic battery (much less economical and practical...ASIDE from isolated novelty use). YES! THAT IS A FACT!

We're talking about electronic percussion, and have been for a while. This thread hasn't been restricted to the Roland snare drum replacement in many pages.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry, nice try. You are, in fact, dead wrong. I know of several high schools that do not own tympani. I also know of several that own electronic mallet percussion in one form or another. The times, they are-a-changin'.

I'm trying to think of a way to say what I am about to say without it appearing as a personal jab or rude. I am, however, an imperfect human (just like the rest of us) and can only promise to do my best. So, if I fail in the "tact" category, please forgive me now.

Any high school program that would choose to purchase electronic percussion equipment INSTEAD OF tympani and mallet percussion has major issues in educational priority and is not providing their percussion students a quality education IN the field of percussion. I would love to see how well a high school wind ensemble does at a festival with tympani and mallet parts performed on electronic percussion equipment instead of the real thing. Not sure how it is in your area, but around my neck of the woods, such a performance would be laughed off the stage with a "gee that was cute...I hope you enjoy your "III" or "IV". Now go get yourself a new band director".

I also know of several high schools that, despite owning tympani for concert band, use electronic instruments for marching band and indoor percussion (mine being one of them).

Look, I've said it at LEAST 50 times already. I'm not against electronic percussion. In fact, I LIKE electronic percussion when it's in it's proper place. My contention is against the idea of it completely replacing good acoustic percussion equipment. It's meant to be a novelty and NOTHING else.

We're talking about electronic percussion, and have been for a while. This thread hasn't been restricted to the Roland snare drum replacement in many pages.

Read the title of this thread. It says "Roland Electronic Marching Percussion". This thread is intended to be specifically about that. And yes, it HAS been pretty limited to it throughout most of the thread. I ought to know. I count for probably more than 50% of the posts ON the thread. LOL!

So yes...lets stick to the topic. We are discussing "Electronic MARCHING percussion"....and if you really want to discuss it with ME (I don't mind)....you really should stick to what my contention is. I like the idea of electronic marching percussion...but frown on the idea of using it exclusively. Lets either discuss THAT and that only...or be done.

Edited by stevedb1975