Pioneer-How have they managed to survive

This is part of the point I was trying to make. To me they are even more successful than a lot of corps at the top of the rankings. They manage to survive, even without the tons of fan support that some of your top 8 corps receive. So they are definitely doing something right. I think it has started with good management, and smart spending, as mentioned here. I really hope that some of the other lower placing corps that struggle can learn something from Pioneer.

The main reason that Pioneer and Mandarins are still in business is "Dedicated Individuals" like Roman Blenski and Ray and Greg Marr. They provide the continuity for the Corps through their leadership, perseverance, and knowledge of what is needed to be spent to keep the group going.

• Like 1

Congrats to Gaelen for marching with a hearing impairment. Our 6th bass drummer in 1986 was Deaf as well and although it didn't really affect his playing, cut offs during rehearsal were fun because he would usually continue playing since he never heard the cut.

I remember you guys in 86. That must have been a constant source of humour for the corps.

John

Edited by sarnia sam

So, I'm at my desk, talking with clients and entering orders for hundreds-of-thousands of dollars worth of stocks, bonds, and stuff. A typical day of click-click, some wins, some losses, the Chairman of the Fed is talking, clients calling, I have messages to return. I take time to get a sandwich and eat at my desk to catch up on business reading and tactical planning.

Then I bring up DCP to catch up, read this thread and this post. And all of a sudden I have tears rolling down my cheeks.

My heart swells and, once again, I hear myself say:

"God, I love this activity."

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Regards,

John

I heard form Gaelen last night, other than his cellphone broke (for deaf people a primary means of communication, texting, etc.), I understand the heat is making his hearing aid fall apart. Not that the hearing aid does much good (when I'am asking him to do something). He said he'd get his mother to organize a replacement some how, but he might have to wait until I can catch up with him in Erie to get another. Little problems become a bit bigger when there's a border involved.

Great thread by the way. I remember when Pioneer was The Thing and they came to Sarnia to compete in some run of the mill Great Lakes show in 73.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

Hey everyone! This is Lansing... Brass caption head for Pioneer.

I'm on a tour bus... So pardon any typos, please. I'm doing this on my iPhone, and wanted to respond about the inclusion of Gaelen into the hornline.

First of all, Gaelen is an extremely hardworking young man and an example of what this activity should be about.

When we first came into contact, I spoke to Gaelen via Facebook messenger while he was on his way to discuss his situation. He explained to me his limitations. I immediately researched his condition and was able to figure out with him that while his hearing was effected... His ability to feel the vibrations was not. When first working with him, he was able to "feel" the partials. Based on this, baritone became a better fit due to the frequencies and the intervals between theml, especially the lower octaves ... Similar to "feeling the bass". In fact, trumpet had been seen as potentially harmful in people Ina similar situation because of pressure on the ear, which we also discussed and are monitoring.

Each staff member has made an effort to work with him to understand and help. Additionally, in our horn arc, I have him placed next to a Music major who sometimes acts as a touchstone for pitch reinforcement. We also use solfeg and ASL as hand signals and the hornline all knows solfeg snd are learning ASL for rehearsal purposes. Gaelen continues to improve. We are happy to have him.

Happy to answer any other questions. It's been a welcome challenge this year to be able to help Gaelen with this experience so he can march DCI.

Best,

Lansing

I remember back in the mid to late 90's(97 if I remember right) Pioneer made the jump from DII to DI(now world class). Along with Pioneer there were many other wonderful corps, like Les Etoiles, Nite Express, Tarheel Sun, Southwind, Academie Musicale, Americanos, East Coast Jazz, and Patriots, who all had large memberships, and great shows and staff, and all placed fairly well in competitions. Unfortunately all those other corps I just mentioned have disappeared over the years.

So what has made Pioneer successful over the last 17 years? They have never placed top 12, their highest placement was 16th in 2000. They are within a few hour drive of many successful finalist corps, including Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars, and Colts. They are the longest corps to make the switch from DII to DI without ever making finals(Crown did it a couple of years before them, but made top 12 the first year they made the switch). It almost would seem the odds against Pioneer being successful, but yet they keep on performing every year.

I know some people have commented they should go back to Open Class, but they must be doing something right, as almost every corps that was in their general placement range in the 90s is gone now.

Any ideas what Pioneer has done to keep their corps alive, when so many others in their competition range weren't able to continue? I am guessing strong management would be a key, but do they have some large corporate sponsors? I notice there is hardly ever a line at their souvie booth, when all of your top 12 corps have long lines at alot of the shows. I know with the smaller corps the last few years, it probably means 1 or 2 less buses on the road which would save some on gas. But when they are always at the lower end of the World Class payscale, and their souvenir sales don't appear to be very good, it sometimes seem surprising that you don't hear the financial disasters that you hear about so many other corps.

Mandarins are another corps that kind of falls in the group like Pioneer. Another great corps, extremely successful in the DII/III days, never quite made top 12 in World Class, also in the state as 3 other amazing corps with BD, SCV and Pacific Crest.

Does anyone have any insight they could share as to how these 2 corps are successful(at least financially) even though they have never quite reached the status of top 12(or G8). Maybe something that could be shared so that other corps can also be successful?

I really think these corps bring so much to the activity. Between these 2 corps, in the last 20+ years, there has only been one show that I haven't liked by them(music and design flaws, not the performers). Heck, I remember one year when Mandarins only had about 20 horns in the mid 90s, and they played a Doc Severinson song, and it just amazed me how nice they sounded, even with such a small corps. It has been great to see them grow over the years.

I really hope these corps are able to continue with their success. I think these are the corps that have the hardest time. Competing with larger corps in the area, having to fight for souvie $$, and not getting the fans in early to see them in competition, and yet they keep going. To me, in a way, these almost seem like they are even more successful than the to 12, given the lack of fan support they receive.

I can't wait to Pioneer, and Mandarins, as well as everyone else on the field this summer. Hopefully some other corps in the lower divisions are able to learn something by looking at the success even some of the smaller corps have had.

Sorry have to say it but crowns first year open was 94 and they made semis.... 95 was thier first year infinals with stormworks.

Your post was fantastic..... so many corps have gone and its finally some gives them credit for thier heart and sticking around..... loved thier 96 show but les etoiles and iron will were the come from behind kids etoiles were beat by demension all year and to see them first was awesome

I remember back in the mid to late 90's(97 if I remember right) Pioneer made the jump from DII to DI(now world class). Along with Pioneer there were many other wonderful corps, like Les Etoiles, Nite Express, Tarheel Sun, Southwind, Academie Musicale, Americanos, East Coast Jazz, and Patriots, who all had large memberships, and great shows and staff, and all placed fairly well in competitions. Unfortunately all those other corps I just mentioned have disappeared over the years.

So what has made Pioneer successful over the last 17 years? They have never placed top 12, their highest placement was 16th in 2000. They are within a few hour drive of many successful finalist corps, including Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars, and Colts. They are the longest corps to make the switch from DII to DI without ever making finals(Crown did it a couple of years before them, but made top 12 the first year they made the switch). It almost would seem the odds against Pioneer being successful, but yet they keep on performing every year.

I know some people have commented they should go back to Open Class, but they must be doing something right, as almost every corps that was in their general placement range in the 90s is gone now.

Any ideas what Pioneer has done to keep their corps alive, when so many others in their competition range weren't able to continue? I am guessing strong management would be a key, but do they have some large corporate sponsors? I notice there is hardly ever a line at their souvie booth, when all of your top 12 corps have long lines at alot of the shows. I know with the smaller corps the last few years, it probably means 1 or 2 less buses on the road which would save some on gas. But when they are always at the lower end of the World Class payscale, and their souvenir sales don't appear to be very good, it sometimes seem surprising that you don't hear the financial disasters that you hear about so many other corps.

Mandarins are another corps that kind of falls in the group like Pioneer. Another great corps, extremely successful in the DII/III days, never quite made top 12 in World Class, also in the state as 3 other amazing corps with BD, SCV and Pacific Crest.

Does anyone have any insight they could share as to how these 2 corps are successful(at least financially) even though they have never quite reached the status of top 12(or G8). Maybe something that could be shared so that other corps can also be successful?

I really think these corps bring so much to the activity. Between these 2 corps, in the last 20+ years, there has only been one show that I haven't liked by them(music and design flaws, not the performers). Heck, I remember one year when Mandarins only had about 20 horns in the mid 90s, and they played a Doc Severinson song, and it just amazed me how nice they sounded, even with such a small corps. It has been great to see them grow over the years.

I really hope these corps are able to continue with their success. I think these are the corps that have the hardest time. Competing with larger corps in the area, having to fight for souvie $$, and not getting the fans in early to see them in competition, and yet they keep going. To me, in a way, these almost seem like they are even more successful than the to 12, given the lack of fan support they receive.

I can't wait to Pioneer, and Mandarins, as well as everyone else on the field this summer. Hopefully some other corps in the lower divisions are able to learn something by looking at the success even some of the smaller corps have had.

Sorry have to say it but crowns first year open was 94 and they made semis.... 95 was thier first year infinals with stormworks.

Your post was fantastic..... so many corps have gone and its finally time someone gives them credit for thier heart and sticking around..... loved thier 96 show but les etoiles and iron will were the come from behind kids etoiles were beat by demension all year and to see them first was awesome.. kinda amazing they are still around