What should I do?

So, considering I'm on DCP Forums, I figured I'd get tips from you guys, since you've been around in this business longer than I have. Here's what I'm facing: I want to march drum corps in 2013, in some way, shape, form, or fashion.

I'm currently 20. Will be 21 this July. I live in Southeast Alabama. Travel is obviously an issue with me auditioning for any organization. I'm basically "limited" to Teal Sound, Spirit of Atlanta, and a few All-Age and Open corps nearby. This is going to sound contradicting, but considering I don't live relatively close to any corps, I want to make whatever I go for worth my while.

As for my instrument...I have 5 years of experience on tenors and 2 on bass. A foot injury that I've dealt with all my life has kept me limited at times, so I'm looking at maybe some type of rack spot in a front ensemble...but I'm willing to play whatever, I just want to be a part of someone's organization.

So...what's your advice, what do I need to do, and who/what should I go for?

Thanks.

So, considering I'm on DCP Forums, I figured I'd get tips from you guys, since you've been around in this business longer than I have. Here's what I'm facing: I want to march drum corps in 2013, in some way, shape, form, or fashion.

I'm currently 20. Will be 21 this July. I live in Southeast Alabama. Travel is obviously an issue with me auditioning for any organization. I'm basically "limited" to Teal Sound, Spirit of Atlanta, and a few All-Age and Open corps nearby. This is going to sound contradicting, but considering I don't live relatively close to any corps, I want to make whatever I go for worth my while.

As for my instrument...I have 5 years of experience on tenors and 2 on bass. A foot injury that I've dealt with all my life has kept me limited at times, so I'm looking at maybe some type of rack spot in a front ensemble...but I'm willing to play whatever, I just want to be a part of someone's organization.

So...what's your advice, what do I need to do, and who/what should I go for?

Thanks.

Lots of open corps still have openings. Contact them directly, and explain your situation. IMHO, any corp experience is worthwhile. If you are looking for a ring, then contact those that you believe have a chance to win... I am NOT going to recommend any here as that is an invitation to stress.

I don't think your foot will be a problem.

Teal and Spirit would both be Excelent Corps to be with. Both DCI WC!

But, also in your area:

Rocketeers - Mini Corps in Huntsville,AL. Not a Field Corps but WILL be going to DCA Championships in Annapolis,MD for the Mini Corps Contest.

CV Atlanta - They are a DCA Open Class Corps, a Top 10 Corps for years.(aka -CorpsVets)

Alliance - also Atlanta area DCA Corps that has been in DCA top 10. Taking a year off.

Any and All of those Corps would glad to hear from you.

It is a matter of "Only: Time and Money" you can do.

Contact all of them. I am sure they will reply and give you some idea about themselves and what is possible.

I don't think your foot will be a problem.

Teal and Spirit would both be Excelent Corps to be with. Both DCI WC!

But, also in your area:

Rocketeers - Mini Corps in Huntsville,AL. Not a Field Corps but WILL be going to DCA Championships in Annapolis,MD for the Mini Corps Contest.

CV Atlanta - They are a DCA Open Class Corps, a Top 10 Corps for years.(aka -CorpsVets)

Alliance - also Atlanta area DCA Corps that has been in DCA top 10. Taking a year off.

Any and All of those Corps would glad to hear from you.

It is a matter of "Only: Time and Money" you can do.

Contact all of them. I am sure they will reply and give you some idea about themselves and what is possible.

I'm certainly looking into all of those! Is Alliance really just taking a year off, or are they done?

In 1979, there was a group of four of us from Troy who drove to Atlanta most every weekend from January - May, then moved in for the summer. Car pooling was feasible for us and it was the best summer of our lives. The 4 hour drive each way made for some awesome adventures on it's own and was part of the experience. Back then, that was our only feasible choice unless you wanted to fly somewhere. Now, I would highly recommend the mini corps experience "just to get your feet wet." Then, that will get you ready for bigger steps with Teal or Spirit.

Good luck, my fine young Wiregrass corps friend! Keep the faith!

In 1979, there was a group of four of us from Troy who drove to Atlanta most every weekend from January - May, then moved in for the summer. Car pooling was feasible for us and it was the best summer of our lives. The 4 hour drive each way made for some awesome adventures on it's own and was part of the experience. Back then, that was our only feasible choice unless you wanted to fly somewhere. Now, I would highly recommend the mini corps experience "just to get your feet wet." Then, that will get you ready for bigger steps with Teal or Spirit.

Good luck, my fine young Wiregrass corps friend! Keep the faith!

Thanks buddy!