DCI Atlanta Top 10 Review

I got there in time to catch Spirit on down, so here is a short review of highlights:

Spirit - This corps has really grown over the past 3 years and with an improved organizational structure and a design staff with lots of previous experience (Scouts, etc) this group is on the way back. I would expect them to make another step forward next year. Solid brass, good guard, nice drum writing, but a still fairly young sounding drumline.

Madison - I actually thought these guys would make a jump tonight, The clarity in the music book is really getting there and the show is starting to come alive. Meshing malaga and Pictures is crazy, but R. Smith has done a nice job putting this together. Guard is scoring low, but only because they have more of a character role versus and traditional guard role. I think they are finding their niche as well and could move up a spot come finals week.

Boston - Overall, it was a nice show, but it felt a little flat for me. I love the musical selections and the corps plays well, but overall it just wasn't as memorable as Scouts IMO. Drumline is solid and they are consistent enough to hold onto the 7th spot if they keep cleaning and polishing the last two weeks.

Cavaliers - An interesting one. You can hear the talent throughout the corps, but there are way too much ensemble issues and individual mistakes this year for them to be a top 5 corps. The design is unique and has potential, but I think the cohesion has just not happened and its a matter of playing catch up and putting band aids on parts that dont gel. The ending was cute, but felt a little forced too me. More like they were trying to convince themselves that they were still good. Seemed uncomfortable.

Cadets - I liked the Christmas show and I thought the back half worked much better than the front, Im still not a fan of the hornline sound, but there is no question they know how to play in time and together. Great vertical alignment keeps them in the mix every year! Some good soloists and I think missed notes are in their head. Don't worry guys, do your best and play well, its fine. :-) Thought the acapella section was gorgeous and smart writing keeping the brass soft until the last minute or two to save chops. Drumline was good, but not the best line that night, IMO. Still some dirt, but classic Sacktig drill is great. Any other year this could be fighting for a top spot.

Bluecoats - This corps is really a mystery to me. They have few weaknesses: play great, drum great, great guard, drill is good, move well. Yet the show design always seems to be missing something that can put them over the top. I just don't what it is, but they seem to have all the tools in place. Musically, they are always a top 3-4 group. LOVE the brass sound, one of the 3 best of the night for me. Overall a really nice show and hope they can move up come finals.

SCV - First time in a while that the show felt like SCV to me. Shaw and Rennick always jive well musically and you can tell that its a young hornline who is maxing out this season. Some of the hardest drill out there and when this corps gets all the pieces in place, WATCH OUT.. Overall, I think they are strong enough in percussion and design to maybe move up to 3rd if numbers shake out in their favor.

Phantom - Love that they are back to what they do best: telling a story. Guard is beautiful and talented and one of the best of the night for me. The hornline is starting to get that Phantom sound again, although there is still some brightness that they haven't been able to shake since 09 (Jupiter maybe?...) Drums are weaker for them and preventing the ensemble numbers from rising. Visually, its a musical show and their drill guy writes well to fit the music of this group. Happy for them and hope they can hold onto top 3 this season.

Crown - What can you say? Amazing hornline and a show, year in year out, written to feature the strength of the brass. Some awesome moments and it's no surprise that fans love that classic big drum corps brass sound. Visually, its a bit of a stretch for them and I noticed a number of horn players struggling to get through the visual the last 2 or 3 minutes. Musically, they don't suffer much, but the youth of the drumline could ultimately keep them out of 1st. I still think the overall package doesn't gel as well as BD, but from a pure hornline standpoint, they may likely walk away again with Ott Trophy this season.

BD - My impression is that this group just has the feel of a professional ensemble among a bunch of really great drum corps. That is certainly not a slap, but more of a design and approach that this group seems to have year in and year out. It was truly the only corps of the night that displayed the highest level of performance quality from first note to last note. Due to lack of "typical fast drill", many fans don't get why they win in visual. I try to dig in and understand what makes them work and I think if you take the time, it starts to make sense and you can begin to appreciate what they are trying to do. They really sell every nuance of the nonsensical ideas of "dadaism" and this design team knows how to max out a theme (and the judging sheets). All elements are great and the only group with NO weaknesses in drums, guard, horns , GE, visual etc. A complete drum corps top to bottom.

What they are achieving is very unique for drum corps and judges have a real decision when it comes to rewarding something new and innovative (BD) or rewarding an outstanding traditional drum corps (i.e. Crown). I'd be happy seeing them split the trophy, (just like I would have back in 1993 with two other groups)

Also, awesome seeing groups like Crossmen, who are fighting to make top 12, but would have been a top 6-8 corps 5 years ago. I think the activity has never been stronger and its us fans who have to change and adapt for this activity to survive.

All in all a great night, record crowd at the Dome and some amazing and talented young people! :thumbup:

( Oh, and the BOOS need to stop, cmon folks...)

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 5

Nice review, thanks very much! I don't think people get how long it actually takes to do these and not make yourself sound retarted (which I failed at on my review! lol)