Enid OK Review

Wow, how lucky am I? This was my 3rd show to get to see in 5 days, after DATR and Wichita. I planned the swing from KC to Wichita & Enid because that's where my parents are. Couldn't have gotten any luckier with show lineup. OR the seats. The Enid show was terrific, with a great stadium, with a steep pitch and right on top of the field. The field looked terrific, with nicely clipped, perfectly green grass. And, to top it all off, I was on the top row (row 25), right on the 45. I will definitely make the trip back home to see another show in this venue.

I've now seen every Div I corps at least once (also went to Louisville), except for Mandarins & Pacific Crest. I've seen many twice & have now seen Cavies & Southwind 3 times. I can't imagine NOT seeing an entire show if I can help it, as I really appreciate the efforts of all the corps. So -- Here's a FULL review of Enid. I guess I can't see any corps "Enough," unlike a fellow poster. Guys, wake up -- we have wonderful gifts being brought to us by the kids on the field from every corps. It's like smelling the roses. Life is too short not to do it.

Kiwanis Kavaliers -- 1st viewing of this corps (only one of the night I wasn't seeing for at least the 2nd time.). They are much smaller this year, but I actually like this show better & feel they are performing it better. The music is solid, if somewhat restrained at times. The color guard was on the small side, and had an inconsistent impact (at times very nice, and at other times, not so nice). The corps seems to be marching better this year as well. While their show is not nearly as difficult as that of Capitol Regiment, they do deserve to be beating them, as they are miles ahead of CReg in execution in all captions except color guard. Factor in C-Reg's more demand & complexity & you have a close competition between these 2 for now.

Capitol Regiment -- My 2nd night in a row to view this corps. I was very excited to see them this year after really appreciating everything they've done the past 2 years to rocket up the ranks. I have to say I am disapointed. It's certainly not the kids fault, however. The color guard is definitely a super strong point. They are large & aggressive & sharp for this point in the season. The music arrangements, however are absolutely horrible, or they are just not being performed well. I think the book is too hard for the corps, but it also at times just includes arrangements that are not appealing. To be sure, there are other moments of the show where the music is quite nice. It will be a real stretch, however, for this product to get them into Semifinals. From a drill perspective, this drill is not as memorable and effective as last years. Maybe it's partly due to the switch to black pants (Boring!), but I think it's more that this drill is not as wide open and fitting to the music. There are places that are just too dense & unreadable. This seems to be a year where C-Reg has lost a little momementum, although they are certainly signaling their intent for the future with the difficulty found in this show. I wish them luck in their cleaning efforts & look forward to seeing them in Indy & in Orlando!

Southwind -- My 3rd view of them, and 2nd in 2 nights. Wow! This corps is obviously working very, very hard. The show has come so far from Louisville. Seeing them in June, I thought they hadn't a prayer of making Semis, but you know what? They just might have a shot! The show has really grown on me, and they are starting to sell the music. While the drill is mediocre at best, the kids are working hard to clean it, and it is also starting to work. Some real moments of excitement in this show. The color guard is not nearly as strong as C-Reg's guard, but they have some very effective moments. The beginning, with curved poles, however, is NOT effective at all. They do have some great silks, however, and a terrific moment comes in the ballad with some gorgeous gold flags. This corps usually will go on near the sunset, or with the sun still out & low. It works so well with these gold flags. A great design move. The guard also seems to be getting stronger with their rifle and sabre work, with some nice tight tosses & catches. The horn line is solid, but it's time to really get to work on polishing the sound. At times the sound is too harsh, with individuals sticking out & some intonation issues popping up. That being said, for the 1st time since 2000, I look forward to getting to see Southwind several more times with some real anticipation to see what they can do with the some. It's really in the hands of their kids & teaching staff at this point. We just might see Southwind in the hunt for 17th!

Madison Scouts -- What a difference a month can make. This was my second viewing, having first seen them in Louisville. I was impressed in June with the quality of their comeback. I am more than impressed now. I found their horn line to be weak and lacking in confidence in June, but they are really starting to turn it on now. There are still times where the sound quality is not where they were in the mid 90s, with some individual issues & intonation issues, but they are getting there for sure. This is the first time since 1999 that I felt real -- and not forced -- electricity from this corps on the field. I wasn't so sure this corps had a real shot at 6th last month. Now, I think they will be in the thick of that fight, with Boston, Bluecoats & Crossmen. The color guard improvement is remarkable. Field coverage & demand in the drill are there as well. I'm no percussion expert, and I know that's been their weakness so far, so that section may dictate just how far this corps goes. The corps has done an outstanding job updating the Madison style for the new millenium, making relevant, contempary, EXCITING, and yet all vintage Madison at the same time. That's no easy task. They have also really added to the ballad. With some nice allusions to their past with pretty, dated flags, the ballad ends with a bold white flag with the year 2003 on it & boom they move into the closer, thoroughly modern, thoroughly powerful, and thoroughly Madison. That was a design highlight of the night for me from the Scouts. Welcome back, Madison. You have been very missed.

Blue Devils -- My second viewing of them and I was even more impressed this time. They have really turned it up another notch since Denver. The excitement and performance energy this corps brings to the field is tremendous. Their guard truly sells this show and adds so much to it -- much more so, in my opinion, than does the Cavaliers guard this summer. BD's guard thoroughly beat Cavies on the field, from all views -- design, demand and execution. It was nice to see the judges agree, with BD easily winning CG and also winning GE Visual. I dare someone to truly study BD's drill and make any other conclusion than that this is their most difficult drill ever and that it is more difficult to perform than Cavaliers. __AND LET ME STRESS THAT I AM NOT A DIE HARD BD FAN AT ALL__ This show has so much room to grow, as they are still rough around the edges in both marching & musically. I think they have more room to grow than do Cavaliers, unless Cavies make wholesale changes to more than just a few sections of their show. On the other hand, Cavaliers are much cleaner, so it was really a toss up last night -- to which the judges seemed to have agreed.

Cavaliers -- My third viewing of Cavies & 2nd in 2 nights. They really turned on the afterburners tonight, with a much more energized & intense show tonight than last night in Wichita. In watching crowd reaction, I think a lot of people understood why Cavaliers won tonight, but most seemed to prefer BD. My mom came with me to the show, and while not a novice, she's no DC insider either. She walked away saying, I can appreciate what the Cavaliers did, but if I got to see one show again, I would want it to be Blue Devils, not them. As for myself, this show is definitely growing on me. I find myself getting into parts of the show, and particularly the middle section. I still don't think they have their real ending on the field yet, but the newer sections right before the end are great. Musically, I like this show more than last year. Visually, less so. My take on this show is that it's not very meaty. Musically, the demand does not come close to PR or BD. Visually, while very innovative, much of what they are doing is no more difficult than the rest of the top 5, and probably not as difficult as BD's drill. The color guard is impressive as always., but not alwasy effective in this show. Their work is not crisp, and they don't move nearly as well as BD.

Well, that's it from what was a great night. Cavies gave a great encore -- after what was the longest wait for retreat that I can remember in a long time. It was nice to hear not one, but 2 patriotic marches thrown in. Both Cavies & BD came in with an intensity that said neither wanted to lose tonight, and it really added to the energy level tonight. It's going to be a great summer watching these 2 battle it out. They are so close, I don't see Cavies going undefeated this year. IF BD can clean their show sufficiently, I think they will take it all in Orlando.

Don't forget about Regiment either, though. They are lurking in the wings as an awakening giant right now. Probably headed for a PHantastic 3rd, But not out of the running for more, either...

Can't wait for Indy in a week & a half. Everyone that's going to San Antonio, have a blast and --- WRITE REVIEWS!!!

Harvey Phelps

Wow & thanks, Vic. I don't know that I deserve your complements, but I appreciate them! I did march, teach and more in corps, but more than anything I just love this activity & follow it voraciously!

Three things you can count on in life; death, taxes, and Texas PRfan explaining how easy the Cavaliers show is ;-) Fortunately, the judges don't agree...so far for 4 years. I can't wait to see BD in Orlando. Obviously they have a great show, because I know how good the Cavaliers show is. By the way - you are right. There is still a new ending coming. I'm not sure when, but an additional 30 seconds is planned.

Edited by rgortowski

Rich, I can understand you disagreeing with me this year, but you are completely incorrect if in your inference that I have felt their shows for the past 4 years are easy. I thought the 2000 show was a fiat accompli & one of my favorite shows of all time. The 2001 show & 2002 shows were visually insane. Don't try to simplify me into a Cavalier basher, because I am not. They deserved their 3 titles in a row.

Harvey Phelps

thanks for the review

Rich, I can understand you disagreeing with me this year, but you are completely incorrect if in your inference that I have felt their shows for the past 4 years are easy.  ...  Don't try to simplify me into a Cavalier basher, because I am not.  They deserved their 3 titles in a row.

Harvey Phelps

Harvey,

I'm not saying you are a Cavalier basher. Just pointing out that your posts can be counted on to say how easy the Cavs show is. I have to disagree. I live close to the Cavs practice grounds and have watched them put together their shows for the last 10 years. This year I have seen (12) four hour ensemble rehearsals (plus four performances) and I know every second of the show. In my opinion, it is more difficult than last year's show. Certainly more difficult than 2000 and 2001. I talk with one horn player who is in his fouth year and tells me that the individual responsibility this year surpasses last year, especially considering the complexity and velocity of the drill. I can honestly say this is the most most demanding and complex drill I have ever seen the Cavs do. Like the BD arguement - these guys just make it look easy. I can also say that the drill and music is so demanding that their biggest challenge is to maintain the energy and performance level throughout the show. That is one of their top priorities. In the two rehearsals before DeKalb, they were really pushing the performance levels. If they can do this to the extent that they accomplished last year, I think they will win in Orlando. If not...

I'm not trying to change your mind, only pointing out what I feel is another view based on really knowing the show. I also know I have not seen any other show I feel is better (unfortunately, I have not yet seen BD or SCV yet - I'll have to wait until Orlando!)

Rich