DCI Finals week

So this was a way more entertaining season and I do think the slight changes in sheets has effected that so whoo hoo! I was only able to catch semifnals and finals so I'm doing a double take on some corps. Anyways, here we go!

Cascades-I really liked this corps show last year and hoped they built on that and got more membership seeing as last year was their biggest corps since going inactive. But I was shocked at the number drop (negatively) but also shocked by their performance (positively)! That 32 man horn section put out some nice sounds and I feel their horns were their strongest section especially throughout the show. Liked the "I thought I killed you and then get killed" moment at the end. A comedic touch but felt it didn't really fit the overall theme. Great finish! NOW GET BACK ON TRACK!!! :rolleyes:

Spartans-One of three times I hear Stravinsky's "Firebird" that night :blink: . It was an ok show and honestly I had Cascades over them in every caption save for guard. I understood the theme and it made sense but I didn't feel this a really stronger run than that of Cascades. But congrats on making world class semis!

Mandarins-I saw this show several times out west since I live there and found their show somewhat entertaining but found the changes they made to enhance the show a lot! Kudos to them! Really dug the chanting drum break and thought Chiefy portrayed his character well! The isolated stabs during the eclipse flag feature were very demanding and achieved very well! Had one of my impulse ageouts jump on board with them after our half season was over so congrats Matt on a great show!

Side note-that student of mine had several choices of corps to go fill in a spot at and ageout with. He did not care about the competitive edge of the corps and more so the entertainment value and that's why he chose to go with Mandarins. Hope is not lost on entertainment being more valued than winning! Heck that's why I went to a corps with no rings during my career!

SCVC-The arrangements of this show were superbly done! I mean La Vide with the Bacchanalia? I wouldn't even fathom that! Such an awesome show! I had them beating BDB just from a design standpoint! From top to bottom this show had me hooked and didn't lose my focus at all! I hope the A corps does this show just because of how much I'd like to see it live again! A well deserved standing O at the end and a neat change with the dictator becoming the DM at the end.

BDB-I found this show more entertaining than last seasons show but not as clean and pristine as the other two top OC corps. I could listen to the show and hum back melodies from it but it just seemed a bit more bland. I don't know what's with the Blue Devils organization lately but there's been more bland than entertaining shows from them recently (not all shows) but they seem to be an organization more hell bent on winning than entertaining 3 out of 5 times. Strong finish.

Surf-FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!!! I'm more of a traditionalist at my young age (23) when it comes to shows but this was just so entertaining and my first real sense of loud for the day! I was hoping to see this show live since I saw it on the San Antonio webcast and glad I got my wish! I would not mind Surf keeping this identity at all or if they went the route of choosing corps that I never got to experience live (Star, Skyryders, Argon Rebels, etc) and do a tribute show to each of those corps so that I may see what their traditions were!!! Just a thought though. Great show!

Oregon-I was calling them the OC champs before the season ended and boy did they deserve it! Though we had another color show on our hands and the 2nd time I heard "Firebird" :blink:, I thoroughly enjoyed the show! They set up the dream portion well with the trumpet soloist playing sleep into the mic. Though I'm not a fan of mic'd solos, this was tastefully used since they were going for his sonority and not his volume at this point. Opener was intense and in your face! Loved the guard vocal soloist! That's utilizing talent! All the tasteful ways of using the music to convey the color as well as the guard uni changes. Though it was brief, really loved the "Firebird" finale ending. Finals night run was out of this world and the kids were loving every minute of that encore performance and the crowd showed their love too.

Troopers-Had a bad design with great performers. I really loved last years show and was dubbed my favorite right next to bones in 2011. This years show could've been taken in so many ways and some I felt would've worked but sadly what they had didn't. Too many awkward transitions and movement endings. I did like the troopers insignia set towards the end. Now make your 2013 show "Cowboys and Aliens!" :tongue:

Colts-I never felt the emotion of "All by Myself" online but live was a way different story! They brought the house down with that closer and that soloist was awesome (and in need of a cheeseburger, really skinny!). But besides that, the rest of the show didn't click. Liked the use of "Augusts Rhapsody" though. Also, kudos for taking in so many Teal kids! :thumbup:

PC-I'm a big time homer here especially since this is where my roots are and they are the home team. I knew they would be the best corps from this organization ever but man did they surpass my expectations!!! I hope this design team sticks because it works well! Meehan's arrangements of this show were gorgeous and Stevens drill was great! Not usually a guard guy but they were catching my eye a few times. This corps also gave me another case of "arrangement is better than original" with Coldplay's "Yellow." Such a gorgeous and lush arrangement. Flugel soloist was great and that "True Colors" push to the end was goose bump city for me! Great season PC and congrats on your highest finish so far! I vii I vi V

:worthy:

Academy-A bit out there for me but I like their enthusiasm. This was the only show that had me tilting my head sideways at points going "what?" but I got what they were doing mostly. The sacrifice section was my favorite part of the show but for 80 horns they weren't as powerful as I'd hoped the great Doctor would have made them. But they threw down at the end.

Glassmen-Performed like a Saturday night corps! Omg this was a way better corps than the 2011 edition! Loud, intense, and emotional! They made their last run an unforgettable one! The horns were painfully loud, drums were aggressive and guard caught my eye a few times! This made me think "it that's 14th....oh god I'm going to have to invest in some souvie booth pants to change into." Was loving this weekend so far!

Blue Stars-WHY COULDN'T THEY TIE?!?!!?! I couldn't decide between Bones and these guys! I mean both shows were awesome in their own way! This show had the intense drill and music that I love in drum corps! That first hit was loud and stopped me from texting a friend what section I was in. They grabbed me and held on at that point. I really wanted to see this show live again but the judges felt they made a firm decision. Better luck next season Blue Stars. Can't wait to see it!

Bones-Again, why no tie?!?! Congrats on breaking your Saturday night dry spell! It was good to see you at retreat again and with your south east friends Spirit! This show to me was a complete contrast to Stars. A bit more laid back and more old school. Still traditional but more toe tapping like. Friday night they performed like it was their last day to live (they thought it was) and holy god what a semis run that was!!! Ending had a few tears in my eye and those screamers made me soil myself a few times (pant change number two). The cross hit was just as awesomes as last years. Keep it up!

Spirit-Wanted to place a bet but realized it was just a drum corps show. This show took me back to 2007 when I was in a vegas show with PC. Both completely contrasting save for "Luck Be A Lady." Their treatment of "Harvest" was fun and probably my favorite part of their show. Hornline could play and they enjoyed doing so. Their ballad arrangement of "Poker Face" was so light and playful. Liked that a lot. The Eminem closer was a bit eh but I understood that they were going for a take all or leave all kind of feel. The tank track drill the front is starting to become a signature move for them and I think it's cool. Great show!

Angry Birds-Ok so this show had my head kinked sideways for a while but I started to enjoy more and more as the season progressed. Boy does Sully like his kids moving a lot. Btw 3rd time of "Firebird" :blink: . This hornline lacked impact at some points and brought it at others but I feel some of the staging might have impacted that a bit. Their ending was exciting and love the mello licks in there. Thought it really cool that the bird set ended up wearing the helmet in the end. Btw, their electronics apparently malfunctioned finals night as told to me from one of their staff members but I could hardly tell. With a show that used as much as theirs did, you'd think you'd catch it right? Good season Blue Knights!

Scouts-I watched this show and thought how mature the scouts looked this season in comparison to 2010 and 2011. Not to knock those corps but this one seemed ready to kill a bit more than those two. Loved the use of all their past shows and mixing them together. Favorite part of the show for me was the part where the synth played "Pictures" on the piano patch as the drum line played a break on top of it. Felt really smooth jazz esque. The rotating front was fun for me to see live but I don't give it up for something like that unless it hits dead on when it's suppose to. Unfortunately I never saw that point because people blocked me right then and there. But great show scouts! Keep on climbing!

Nsync-Ok so I have to admit I really disliked this show a lot and not just visually but musically. I didn't feel it and I really don't think that a drill writer change should take such a hit like it did for them. I mean, did they really have to change their musical approach? I really felt this should've been 9th. Though that ending was cool, I really hate dubstep and all that style of music. Doesn't get me going like it does most kids today.

Boston-This show was really cool and I like that they did so well! Looks like these guys are TOC again! I thought this show should've been a bit darker since the Titans were put away by the gods but this still worked well. Ballad was awesome! The movement following really struck me as a strong one for the guard. Watched them most of the time during it. Ending was just pure power and I would've had them on top of the boy band both nights but glad they ended up there.

Bloo-homer for these guys as well. Volunteered with them from Allentown until quarters and boy did they have a huge improvement in that span of time! This show makes so much more emotional sense live and really hit me hard. I had a former student I taught his senior year (07) and taught with for 3 years that I twisted into marching Bloo in 2010 for my ageout. He aged out this summer and I could not be more proud of him! It was a bitter sweet moment to watch the final runthrough knowing it was his last but man was it great. Happy 40th Bluecoats! Glad this brass staff still had you kicking ### this season! Congrats on 2nd in drums finals night as well! P.S had you over SCV

SCV-Now even though I had this placing 6th, I still really liked this show. Shaw's arrangement of Jupiter was incredible and such a treat to hear! The way he played with the chords and how well the melody fit was amazing. George and friends did awesome with the horns but that was expected since I was under him a couple of seasons :tongue: . But it was great to have an audible SCV hornline that wasn't getting 11th. Great drums but again they peaked too soon and got beat by more than just the champ. Better luck next year.

Cadets-I'm guilty of writing these guys off as soon as I hear they were doing a Christmas show. But man was I wrong! AND I HATE XMAS MUSIC! But this show was so cool! The opening was great, Jazzy Bells as I call it grooved well, the ballad was gorgeous and artistically written and played. That closer was out of this world and it was XMAS MUSIC!!!! I can't get over the fact that it was that kind of selection and that it was that cool! But it's not the first time that Cadets have had a strange show idea and executed it well. Look at the first Zone show. Nicely done!

Phantom-I felt this was a recycled formula of last seasons show but just way cleaner. I thought this would have peaked seeing as how visually clean it was early on but they kept their momentum up and surprised me. Drill was top notch and technique visually was consistent throughout the ensemble. And I feel strange complimenting Phantom on their visual package since I always saw them being more musical but that's in a good way. Great show and glad to see no one died at the ending but may that beheaded euph player RIP :rolleyes:

Crown-They wanted it this year and they wanted it bad! But it just wasn't their time. I love their sound and they were definitely the loudest corps this season no doubt. Jim Ott was in the bag no doubt and way to troll the Blue Devils finals night Crocker :w00t: . They shocked me in taking vis performance especially with the couple of individual tics on finals night congrats on winning that with the vis staff that taught me at Bloo! This show had crazy drill as well but to me the ending felt a bit anti climactic as compared to the rest of the show. Felt like it needed that 09-10 oomph because I felt it lost momentum during the drum hits before the last note. But that's just me. Also, thought their guard was better than BD's. Great show and congrats on your second medal!

BD-I will confidently say that I liked this show a lot and felt it deserved the win. Was it out there a bit? Sure! But it wasn't over my head and I didn't have to read up on the show to get it. I understood the slowly putting on the uniforms and what it represented and I thought the hoops were cool. I could've done without any of the vocals though especially during the Apollo 13 segments. Horns sounded gorgeous there and Reaver rocked the Flugel horn! Loved hearing the 96 quotes followed by Rite of Spring (2nd time). Also, something happened finals night that I hadn't seen happen for this corps in a while...after the sing sing sing section, they got a mid show standing O! Though this show didn't stick with everyone, I think they might be kind of getting it or the crowd is just showing them what they liked about the show. Either way great year devs and congrats on going undefeated!

Great season this year from top to bottom! A couple of vocal gripes with BD and another one to do with several corps as well.

I know it's not the first time but too many corps are playing the same pieces of music. There definitely needs to be some variety. Firebird got played by Spartans, OC, and Knights. Kingfishers Catch Fire got played by Cascades, BDB, and OC. And Rite of Spring was in both Academy and BD's shows. I know some groups don't announce their shows or the material for a while but there needs to be more variety and if someone does announce certain material, I hope that the designers don't take it as a challenge to out do each other. Just my thoughts.

Well that's it for now! Time to get some sleep after a week of band camp.....oye vey

• Like 2