longer school year

Is it possible for some kids to take their finals early so they can report to camp? I know that some schools will allow it and others won't. Some demand a certain GPA to do that. I've known a few kids who took their finals early, passed, missed their HS graduation ceremony, got their diploma on the fly and got their season in, went on to college and had to deal with the same situation all over again. Welcome to today's Drum Corps baby.

SarcasmDetector.jpg

I can promise you that it wasn't "in just"

edit: special shout out to kickhalts... for understanding the internet.

lol

We are probably under the avg. age of this forum... I remember when my parents first signed on to facebook. Talk about people not understanding the internet.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I saw that recently. I guess the issue is prominent and from what it seems typical. I think though, In these cases, it is 18 year old "adults" who seem to be able to choose to skip a trimester and have that experience.

If High schools go to a year round format, they don't have that option. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it catches on in other parts of the country for the year round school and see the effects. I know I'm being pessimistic, but I think if it happens, It will cause for some diminishing membership.

Yes, I saw that recently. I guess the issue is prominent and from what it seems typical. I think though, In these cases, it is 18 year old "adults" who seem to be able to choose to skip a trimester and have that experience.

If High schools go to a year round format, they don't have that option. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it catches on in other parts of the country for the year round school and see the effects. I know I'm being pessimistic, but I think if it happens, It will cause for some diminishing membership.

Mandatory year round schools, imo, are a bad idea for two reasons: a) From the educational aspect much can be learned away from school at places like summer youth camps which cannot be taught in a school setting as well as summer can also be a time for youth to learn how to become independent; and b) The economic impact on summer activities such as lakes and theme parks would be devastating to the economy.