Conflicts with Spring Training

Open class would be a great option if there's one around he can travel to. My corps doesn't move in until after high school has ended for the year, so he could probably find a way to make his schedule work. I still got to spend a lot of time watching World Class corps when I marched Open Class this summer, too.

Based on what you've said, I would not recommend the Spring off. Last semester my son dropped a class (just one class) that is now causing all sorts of chaos with his schedule- I can't imagine what taking a semester (or trimester off) would do and it sounds like, from what you've said, it could really create some problems. With college class offerings being very tight nowadays due to money, it may be difficult for him to take some of those classes later. I think to say that you can go to college at any old time might not be so true these days.

But if you decide to do let him take off, I *strongly* urge you to find out EXACTLY how his financial aid would be affected if he takes a trimester off- especially federal financial aid because that trimester could actually be what constitutes a "full time" schedule. I went to a school that had something similar and I had to be really careful with my schedule, lest I lose my aid.

As someone else mentioned, if he has scholarships, they may not be willing to offer it again if he takes off- not saying that they automatically won't but you'd need to work with this and really find out for sure- maybe even get the extension in writing, especially if you signed a contract with him when he accepted.

Don't rely on the school to give you the correct financial aid information- check on this yourself with the government or lending institution you are working with. (also know this from experience, down to the love letter I got from my son's own financial aid office just today!)

This is coming from a current music education major parent who has dealt with this, and it really sounds like ongoing school is important for many reasons. You want to do the overall best thing, I'm sure, and that is really hard.

This is an experience that I think everyone who desires it should get and the good news is that there are ways! Open Class would be an excellent option. Many of them don't start until later or are very accommodating. Best of luck!!

• Like 2