Bugles Across America

I encourage all to post the following, or some personalized version of it, on your Facebook page. Please include the link to Bugles Across America if you do. Thank you.

Five years ago, Tom Day, the founder of Bugles Across America, played "Taps" at my father's funeral. The entire family was honored, as well I'm sure was my father, a veteran of World War II and the Korean conflict. This afternoon, Tom played "Taps" for one of my dad's brothers, a US Marine Corps vet who earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart when he received a near-deadly head wound as he went ashore during the first wave in Saipan.

After the service, I caught up with Tom and chatted about the evolution of Bugles Across America. BAA was founded in 2000 after congress passed a law that all qualified veterans were eligible to have "Taps" performed at their funeral, along with a small honor guard to fold the American flag and present it to the family. Budget cuts on the federal level over the years have made this increasingly difficult for the government to pull off, and so more and more responsibilities have been absorbed by about 7,500 volunteers of Bugles Across America. They pay their own way to all funerals and provide this service free of charge. The receive no support from the government.

I found out today that BAA is supplying about 3,500 assists to veterans' funerals each month. This has gone up with the effects of sequestration, as now BAA is responsible for all Coast Guard vets funerals. Any vet from any branch of the service is honored equally. When someone puts in a request, it goes out to all the volunteers in the area and there will always be someone available.

BAA has sent out horns at no charge to about 350 volunteers who didn't have one, but wanted to provide their services to the honored vets and their families. These horns have come from donations, both in working and non-working condition. BAA has reconditioned several horns that have been placed in the hands of those who wish to provide their service at funerals.

I've talked to a number of Bugles Across America volunteers and they've all commented on how meaningful it is to provide this service. However, BAA is always looking for more volunteers to sign up, as the requests for funeral performances of "Taps" only increases every month. BAA also needs donations to provide for the repair of horns and to mail them out. No one in the organization, including founder Tom Day, makes a penny off BAA. Tom and others have sacrificed much time to keep BAA afloat, growing, and able to provide a service that is so meaningful to so many.

I encourage all who can to contact Bugles Across America about volunteering to be put on the list of available performers. You can read more about BAA from clicking on the link I supplied. Those who don't play trumpet, bugle or flugelhorn are encourage to send in a donation to help keep this wonderful organization financially afloat with the expenses they incur in the process of performing their mission.

By the way, they have quite a number of volunteers now who didn't play a high brass instrument, but learned to do so in order to help in the mission. Many of them have received horns from BAA so they could start practicing and many of those have already played funerals for vets.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 4

I encourage all to post the following, or some personalized version of it, on your Facebook page. Please include the link to Bugles Across America if you do. Thank you.

Five years ago, Tom Day, the founder of Bugles Across America, played "Taps" at my father's funeral. The entire family was honored, as well I'm sure was my father, a veteran of World War II and the Korean conflict. This afternoon, Tom played "Taps" for one of my dad's brothers, a US Marine Corps vet who earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart when he received a near-deadly head wound as he went ashore during the first wave in Saipan.

After the service, I caught up with Tom and chatted about the evolution of Bugles Across America. BAA was founded in 2000 after congress passed a law that all qualified veterans were eligible to have "Taps" performed at their funeral, along with a small honor guard to fold the American flag and present it to the family. Budget cuts on the federal level over the years have made this increasingly difficult for the government to pull off, and so more and more responsibilities have been absorbed by about 7,500 volunteers of Bugles Across America. They pay their own way to all funerals and provide this service free of charge. The receive no support from the government.

I found out today that BAA is supplying about 3,500 assists to veterans' funerals each month. This has gone up with the effects of sequestration, as now BAA is responsible for all Coast Guard vets funerals. Any vet from any branch of the service is honored equally. When someone puts in a request, it goes out to all the volunteers in the area and there will always be someone available.

BAA has sent out horns at no charge to about 350 volunteers who didn't have one, but wanted to provide their services to the honored vets and their families. These horns have come from donations, both in working and non-working condition. BAA has reconditioned several horns that have been placed in the hands of those who wish to provide their service at funerals.

I've talked to a number of Bugles Across America volunteers and they've all commented on how meaningful it is to provide this service. However, BAA is always looking for more volunteers to sign up, as the requests for funeral performances of "Taps" only increases every month. BAA also needs donations to provide for the repair of horns and to mail them out. No one in the organization, including founder Tom Day, makes a penny off BAA. Tom and others have sacrificed much time to keep BAA afloat, growing, and able to provide a service that is so meaningful to so many.

I encourage all who can to contact Bugles Across America about volunteering to be put on the list of available performers. You can read more about BAA from clicking on the link I supplied. Those who don't play trumpet, bugle or flugelhorn are encourage to send in a donation to help keep this wonderful organization financially afloat with the expenses they incur in the process of performing their mission.

By the way, they have quite a number of volunteers now who didn't play a high brass instrument, but learned to do so in order to help in the mission. Many of them have received horns from BAA so they could start practicing and many of those have already played funerals for vets.

Thank you for your consideration.

Michael,

With special salutes on this your Dad's fifth anniversary. If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, he was evidently stellar if we're to see the fruits he left behind. Blessings on your memories.

NDP

Edited by normy diploome

Michael,

With special salutes on this your Dad's fifth anniversary. If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, he was evidently stellar if we're to see the fruits he left behind. Blessings on your memories.

NDP

Edit: (Apparently my post from my cell phone at WGI Dayton didn't take.)

Thank you, Normy. That means a lot to me. Time hasn't eased to pain, but it has made the memories even more cherished.

Edited by Michael Boo

Probably quite a few Mike, I'm a member for starters.