More comments on Theatre event

First off Kudos to DCI and it's production team for a great telecast. Finally the sound was loud and crisp. The HD picture was great and the camera angles were fine given how unfamiliar the team was with the shows. In Boston the theatre was around half full. I was also greatly relieved at the lack of singing, counting, humming, chanting and talking in all of these shows.

Spirt: They were the most pleasant suprise of the the night. Last years program for me was not very exciting or interesting (especially compared to their wonderful Noir show). Music was familiar and really pulled the audience in. It was also performaed with a lot of joy.Looks like Spirit is looking to move up in the rankings.

Cavaliers: Kind of a train wreck. Some really bad brass breaks. Visual execution was not good. That said I agree with others that this is a better product than last year. The theme is easy to follow, the robes and the props work and the music although dark works pretty well. I especially liked the last peice from the Star Trek soundtrack. Visual design is not up to par with classic Cavailer designs. They definately have their work cut out for them to better their last year's placement.

Boston: They were definately under-scored. The next night their score went up 5 points and they passed Spirit and Cavaliers. I guess you can partially attribute this to judges seeing the show for the first time. The show is different but the 'Rise' theme is not really evident yet. Music, especially the ballad was enjoyable. Not as accessible as the last couple of years. Not quite sold on this show yet but hopefully it will translate better in person when I see them this Saturday. I hope that the red jackets re-appear later in the season.

Bluecoats: Interesting and accessible concept of americana that got lost as the show progressed.I had diffuclty in the 2nd half translating the music into the theme. The parade motif may be overused a bit. Another show will hopefully translate a bit better live.

Phantom: I have read next to nothing about this show but was quite impressed. Do not understand how Blue beat them. The show theme was carried quite well from start to finish. Once again their guard was very captivating with their long black dresses. The costume change into warrior's was a little over the top but was fun. I was not looking forward to another 'Nimrod' ballad but they sold it well. I loved the tree props and props go out to the trumpet who held one in one hand and their instrument in another. I enjoyed this show more than Crown's and BD's.

Cadets: I was pretty blown away by Cadets. They were a step up from all other corps shown tonight. What a brass book and sound and what a visual design. So much demanded from everyone on the field. The props work well. The Barber music is stunning . 'Medea' needs some changes but I can see this show challenging BD and Crown for the top stop.

Great night of Drum Corps!