Portland, Oregon

The show hasn't happened yet, but I'll post a review after the show.

It will be nice to review the Oregon Crusaders debut in World Class, and also the Columbians from Washington state (they have a well-designed website).

Too bad the weather is muggy (very rare for Oregon) and in the high 80's today, with the hottest part of the day being around 5 pm (not like 12-2pm in the midwest). I believe that will affect some of the northwest corps' performances somewhat.

And whomever might read this from the corps, thank you for holding a show in the Portland area. Its the only time I get to see live drum corps all year without extensive travel.

Apologies first: I did not view the Columbians or Thunder. I was in the lot checking out SCV's bassline and drumline with some friends. I did happen to catch SCV Cadet's tail end of their show from the fence.

Venue: Since the Hillsboro Stadium was not available, it was held at a high school this year. A new baseball stadium was built right next to the football (Hillsboro) stadium and there was a game tonight. Anyone who has been to Hillsboro stadium knows that it could not handle two venues at the same time... not enough parking. But that would be the most appropriate place as last year the stadium was pretty full for the show. This year, we were informed that the venue sold out. The stands were packed. There were plenty of people at the fence and some on the track. It might be time to look for a bigger venue, especially if you're going to have to compete with a baseball team. Parking was horrendous: main lot was full, had to be told (instead of signage) to park in a church parking lot about 4 blocks away, which filled up very fast. I'm sure the surrounding neighborhood wasn't glad about all these people trying to find parking spots. A mess. You had to guess where the bathrooms were (no signage). However, there was a survey to take about the venue as you entered the high school stadium. I'm sure that they are going to get a lot of negative feedback on this venue.

I think the last two shows they've had a problem with the announcer's mic cutting in and out. Same this year. Seems like they weren't able to use the stadium's speakers and the speakers used were small and backfield; couldn't hear. Just looked up at the rather large speakers not being used... sigh.

Cascades. Bright green plumes again. I counted only 8 color guard (I wonder if the new World Class Oregon Crusaders has any influence on that), about 40 brass, full percussion. They performed an original composition. Its early here in the northwest, lots to clean. Phasing, dirt. I probably doesn't help that it was the hottest day so far, and muggy (which is unusual for Oregon).

Blue Knights: No beginning, no end. They are pulling it off visually for me anyway. I'm able to grab the concept. There's some talent in the guard that gets a few applause points from the crowd. The guard uni's look good under the stadium lights. First "loud" corps of the night. I'm not sold on Methany's "First Circle" yet. Its only slightly better than Fan Network. Crossmen still have the best rendition in my opinion. It'll get better I know. But it is a crowd pleasing show, but I don't think they're done with it yet.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Les Miserable. Loudest corps of the night. Pretty much a solid show. Unfortunately, the high school stadium isn't really high enough to read forms. I bet they would have had more crowd response if they could see the "crest form". They got a crowd response when playing backfield from the few people sitting there. This is top 6 in my opinion. Thanks for high mark time, looks good, adds to the show. I do prefer the "bicyle step" style of marching, as I feel you can control the upper body better, and is more ergonomic for the lower body (but that's a conversation for another time). Great baritone and melophone soloists. Better tonight than in rehearsal (which I checked out in the afternoon).

Oregon Crusaders: I don't know if they have a full 150 members, but they are big enough. Not quite loud enough and the show is not finished. Its hard to read at this point. When the show is finished, I'll be able to view on Fan Network, and see how the fence props augment the show. They're at the start of the Northwest tour, which lasts about a week and a half, then camp again, then about 12 more competitions. It might be a wake-up call to start rehearsing earlier in the season to put a rather complete show on the field right away. Compete with the big boys, rehearse like the big boys. I understand a more conservative start in World Class; probably makes financial sense. Great soloists throughout; flutter tongue and pitch-bends. Strains of "Summertime" echoing throughout the stadium... and some jerk lights off some fireworks next to the stadium and ruins the moment. Darn it.

Didn't stay around for the encore or scores, which I always do. Didn't want to get caught in that gridlock.

Maybe its time to move it to a more consistent and larger venue... Oregon State? It would be great if more corps would come up from California. Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Blue Devils, ect. That would be a great show and draw even more people.

Anyway, my allergies were giving me fits, sneezing throughout the show, ugh. That's what happens after the rain disappears in Oregon.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment.

• Like 1

Apologies first: I did not view the Columbians or Thunder. I was in the lot checking out SCV's bassline and drumline with some friends. I did happen to catch SCV Cadet's tail end of their show from the fence.

Venue: Since the Hillsboro Stadium was not available, it was held at a high school this year. A new baseball stadium was built right next to the football (Hillsboro) stadium and there was a game tonight. Anyone who has been to Hillsboro stadium knows that it could not handle two venues at the same time... not enough parking. But that would be the most appropriate place as last year the stadium was pretty full for the show. This year, we were informed that the venue sold out. The stands were packed. There were plenty of people at the fence and some on the track. It might be time to look for a bigger venue, especially if you're going to have to compete with a baseball team. Parking was horrendous: main lot was full, had to be told (instead of signage) to park in a church parking lot about 4 blocks away, which filled up very fast. I'm sure the surrounding neighborhood wasn't glad about all these people trying to find parking spots. A mess. You had to guess where the bathrooms were (no signage). However, there was a survey to take about the venue as you entered the high school stadium. I'm sure that they are going to get a lot of negative feedback on this venue.

I think the last two shows they've had a problem with the announcer's mic cutting in and out. Same this year. Seems like they weren't able to use the stadium's speakers and the speakers used were small and backfield; couldn't hear. Just looked up at the rather large speakers not being used... sigh.

Cascades. Bright green plumes again. I counted only 8 color guard (I wonder if the new World Class Oregon Crusaders has any influence on that), about 40 brass, full percussion. They performed an original composition. Its early here in the northwest, lots to clean. Phasing, dirt. I probably doesn't help that it was the hottest day so far, and muggy (which is unusual for Oregon).

Blue Knights: No beginning, no end. They are pulling it off visually for me anyway. I'm able to grab the concept. There's some talent in the guard that gets a few applause points from the crowd. The guard uni's look good under the stadium lights. First "loud" corps of the night. I'm not sold on Methany's "First Circle" yet. Its only slightly better than Fan Network. Crossmen still have the best rendition in my opinion. It'll get better I know. But it is a crowd pleasing show, but I don't think they're done with it yet.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Les Miserable. Loudest corps of the night. Pretty much a solid show. Unfortunately, the high school stadium isn't really high enough to read forms. I bet they would have had more crowd response if they could see the "crest form". They got a crowd response when playing backfield from the few people sitting there. This is top 6 in my opinion. Thanks for high mark time, looks good, adds to the show. I do prefer the "bicyle step" style of marching, as I feel you can control the upper body better, and is more ergonomic for the lower body (but that's a conversation for another time). Great baritone and melophone soloists. Better tonight than in rehearsal (which I checked out in the afternoon).

Oregon Crusaders: I don't know if they have a full 150 members, but they are big enough. Not quite loud enough and the show is not finished. Its hard to read at this point. When the show is finished, I'll be able to view on Fan Network, and see how the fence props augment the show. They're at the start of the Northwest tour, which lasts about a week and a half, then camp again, then about 12 more competitions. It might be a wake-up call to start rehearsing earlier in the season to put a rather complete show on the field right away. Compete with the big boys, rehearse like the big boys. I understand a more conservative start in World Class; probably makes financial sense. Great soloists throughout; flutter tongue and pitch-bends. Strains of "Summertime" echoing throughout the stadium... and some jerk lights off some fireworks next to the stadium and ruins the moment. Darn it.

Didn't stay around for the encore or scores, which I always do. Didn't want to get caught in that gridlock.

Maybe its time to move it to a more consistent and larger venue... Oregon State? It would be great if more corps would come up from California. Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Blue Devils, ect. That would be a great show and draw even more people.

Anyway, my allergies were giving me fits, sneezing throughout the show, ugh. That's what happens after the rain disappears in Oregon.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment.

Thanks for the review !!!!!

Thanks for the review !!!!!

No problem. Its rare to see anyone else review the show on DCP, even though there were thousands of people there last night.

Everyone's probably too tired from the heat, which it sounds like the whole country is experiencing a heat wave.

I counted 124 members.

As far as rehearsing earlier, there's literally nothing they can do. Finals at University of Oregon end June 14, and they move-in that evening. It's the Northwest's great handicap.

Edited by PurpleKnights
  • Like 2