2014 "The Line" BD Audition

pingasjones

Hi DCP, I'm new member to these forums and I'm looking forward to auditioning on tuba for BD's "The Line" in 2014. I've been playing for a bit over 2 1/2 years and I've made region band my senior year. I also marched the Cadets 2 in 2012 so I kind of have an idea what drum corps is about. I've watched so many BD videos and done so much research on The Line on DCP and other places and I was curious what I should be expecting come 2014 auditions. I've been exercising, doing the breathing gym, and any marching I can do in order to prepare for the audition. I'm a tall and strong guy so I'm not to worried about holding the tuba. In terms of playing, I won't be able to get to a tuba for a week or 2 but I've been buzzing on the mouthpiece to keep the chops. So how competitive is a BD tuba audition? What are they looking for in a tuba player visually and musically? Will they ask to hear anything else that isn't in the audition packet. Lastly if I do make The Line, what kind of music should I be expecting to play. I've read here on DCP that the tubas play a good amount of splits to add texture to the ensemble sound, any other clarity on their music would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer that people who have marched tuba/contra at BD answer these questions but any validated answers are always welcome. Thank you in advance DCP community, this really means a lot to me.

Silas James

Any chance someone could give me the names of anyone I can contact on DCP for advice? Thanks in advance.

Best bet would contact BD on their website for audition information.

There is only but so much they would tell anyone though. I've read brass audition info on there website and it says the general things such as tone, articulation, flexibility. Someone who has marched there or who has marched there before has been through the process and would have more detailed info to give.

Edited by pingasjones

• 1 month later...

Honestly auditions now are different than even 10+ years ago when I was first auditioning. I have no idea what they are looking for, I know it is more visual (dancing, movement, flexibility) than it was before. Run...and I mean seriously get out there and do 3 miles a day at least. Lift weights and work your arms as much as possible til total muscular breakdown, and then do it again the next day. Do as many pushups a day as possible, and seriously build up your upper body. As for your playing, well, I don't know anyone who I marched with who had less than 8 years on their horn, but if you're good you're good. I didn't play contra, but I think pretty much all these rules apply. Musically, know your scales, harmonies, and make sure you have a good ear for tuning. Finally, don't be nervous. I know that's impossible, but work you butt off and give it your best, and try not to let your nerves get to you, because it shows. Walk in with your head up and shake everyones hand, introduce yourself, look them in the eyes, be a man. Hope that helps, and good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I auditioned for the 2013 season and went to a 2-day camp. This was just my experience and they may do something similar or different at a camp this year.

Probably 95% of the vis audition was visual proficiency derived from ballet technique and then some jazz running. We didn't touch any horns/drums for the visual part (just a half hour at the end of the second day for music). There was a lot of spinning and technique terms and I don't remember doing any basic legitimate marching. At the end of the camp they told us that if we wanted to try again next year taking a dance class would be the best way to prepare for their vis audition. They mainly looked for: can you move your body in these ways consistently, do you have control of your body, and can you move in this way if we need you to etc. They just watched you the whole camp to judge whether or not you were good enough visually and/or showed consistent improvement. There were some dance sequences (for lack of better terminology) that I couldn't get my feet to do, and I wasn't too bad at it but a lot of people looked really awkward trying to do some of the stuff they asked for.

For the Music part of the audition was the warm-ups on the audition page they give you in the packet and then a prepared solo. So an appropriate etude or concerto would work. This part of the audition was very quick and was basically 10 minutes in front of John Meehan and maybe one or two other horn staff.

I believe they said both music and visual auditions were weighted equally and you basically have to pass both. I passed my music audition but struggled with the visual part.

Good luck to you this next year!

Edited by Hirsbrunner
  • Like 1