I'm suddenly feeling old

This post should be automatically used as a reply to every negative "Oh My God, it's not drum corps any more" or "These kids don't get it" thread that appears.

You've successfully (of course) put your finger on the pulse of what's truly great and unique in our activity, i.e. the relationships.

Thanks (as usual). Sorry for your loss.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!

When I think of my experiences with DCI, I don't think of the contests and the performances, although I've enjoyed them all. I think of the people I've been blessed to meet and if I'm blessed with another 30 years on this planet, I'll be writing and blogging from each of those DCI World Championships, regional shows, and hopefully still doing some of my other projects with DCI. Several years ago I was at a DCI Board of Directors meeting and Dan Acheson asked the directors to share why the did drum corps. Colts director Greg Orwoll stated, "I do drum corps because I don't know how not to do drum corps." I felt that cut to the chase of why most of us are involved in the activity, whether as marchers, instructors, supporters or fans in the stands. We couldn't have the activity without each of those.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & memories. I apologizing for cutting your original post for brevity's sake, as I do indeed enjoy reading your stories of experiences in our activity. I think this paragraph in particular nearly perfectly sums up why drum corps is special, and why it is a unique activity: not necessarily because of high degree of achievement, not because of instrumentation, not because of show design. Those things are cool, but the real beauty of the activity is the annual journey partaken by drum corps' many constituents: be it staffers, marching members, judges, volunteers, and fans. I remember the joys of achievement, and the bitterness of defeat competitively, but I remember more the other stuff: fun on the bus, free days, goofy stuff that happened at rehearsals, etc. The journey is usually more interesting than the destination, and drum corps is a brilliant example of that cliche.

• Like 1