A few questions

Hey everyone I've decided to go and learn a brass instrument and audition for a corps in the near future, and I have a few questions to know to try and get a better idea.

1) What type of baritone does the Cadets use? I wish to rent/borrow a model they use to learn the feel on the model.

2) Can I march in DCI when I am 21? I read on the DCI website that I can march when I am 21 and want to know if I am not confused, because I know under certain circumstances you can march when 22.

Also I am 18 years old and a clarinet player, so I have heard that a baritone/euphonium would be easiest to learn because of the air required.

Hey everyone I've decided to go and learn a brass instrument and audition for a corps in the near future, and I have a few questions to know to try and get a better idea.

1) What type of baritone does the Cadets use? I wish to rent/borrow a model they use to learn the feel on the model.

2) Can I march in DCI when I am 21? I read on the DCI website that I can march when I am 21 and want to know if I am not confused, because I know under certain circumstances you can march when 22.

Also I am 18 years old and a clarinet player, so I have heard that a baritone/euphonium would be easiest to learn because of the air required.

My son switched from clarinet to mellophone/horn.

• Like 1

Cadets use Yamaha brass, so whatever is the current Yamaha marching baritone is what they use. However, learn on a concert euphonium rather than a marching or concert baritone. You will develop more lung capacity with a concert euphonium (takes a lot more than a clarinet), and you will need it to project your sound without sounding awful.

Start with a beginner's book (like the elementary one) then consult Rubank books for range building exercises and technique exercises. It will be hard to get the chops before this audition season, so don't be afraid to audition for a lower ranking corps. One year in any corps will do wonders for your abilities.

21 is fine to march.

• Like 1

DCI age rule....

If your birthday is January 1 to May 31, you will march your age out at age 21

If your birthday is June 1 to championships, you can march until you are 22....bonus year

If your birthday is from championships to December 31, you would have marched your age out at 21 and turn 22 after championships.

Cadets use Yamaha brass, so whatever is the current Yamaha marching baritone is what they use. However, learn on a concert euphonium rather than a marching or concert baritone. You will develop more lung capacity with a concert euphonium (takes a lot more than a clarinet), and you will need it to project your sound without sounding awful.

Start with a beginner's book (like the elementary one) then consult Rubank books for range building exercises and technique exercises. It will be hard to get the chops before this audition season, so don't be afraid to audition for a lower ranking corps. One year in any corps will do wonders for your abilities.

21 is fine to march.

Thank you for the answers!

1) Long Tones (keep low in the range for a while). Play at an easy mf level. Listen for pitch variance. As you improve, work for 13 count tones: start at a piano level, gradual and even cresendo up to a forte level by counts 6/7, gradual and even decrescendo back to piano -- release on count 13.

2) Begin some introductory lip slurs. Use the following sequence for each slur: Open fingering, 2nd, 1st, 1+2, 2+3, 1+3, 123, then back up through sequence. Make sure you use a full, supported air stream...don't force the mouthpiece to the lips!!!

3) As soon as possible, learn your chromatic scale!! As you become more proficient, you can take some of the exercises found in the Clarke Technical Studies...make sure you start very, very slowly at first. Stumbling through them too quickly only serves to confuse the mind and fingers.

There are more suggestions I could make...but I won't pile all of them on you now. Oh...always strive to "sing" through your horn. Tone quality comes first -- great technique with lousy tone quality = lousy product.

ENJOY WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!! Welcome to the brass world. :smile:

• Like 1

1) Long Tones (keep low in the range for a while). Play at an easy mf level. Listen for pitch variance. As you improve, work for 13 count tones: start at a piano level, gradual and even cresendo up to a forte level by counts 6/7, gradual and even decrescendo back to piano -- release on count 13.

2) Begin some introductory lip slurs. Use the following sequence for each slur: Open fingering, 2nd, 1st, 1+2, 2+3, 1+3, 123, then back up through sequence. Make sure you use a full, supported air stream...don't force the mouthpiece to the lips!!!

3) As soon as possible, learn your chromatic scale!! As you become more proficient, you can take some of the exercises found in the Clarke Technical Studies...make sure you start very, very slowly at first. Stumbling through them too quickly only serves to confuse the mind and fingers.

There are more suggestions I could make...but I won't pile all of them on you now. Oh...always strive to "sing" through your horn. Tone quality comes first -- great technique with lousy tone quality = lousy product.

ENJOY WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!! Welcome to the brass world. :smile:

Thank you for the tips!