Large Jumps from Prelims to Finals?

I don't know why, but I was looking back at DCA finals scores from 1986. Here were the top four corps from prelims and finals:

August 31, 1986
DCA Championships - Prelims
Allentown, PA
1. Caballeros 89.650
1. Steel City Ambassadors 89.650
3. Bushwackers 88.700
4. Buccaneers 88.250
DCA Championships - Finals
1. Bushwackers 92.450
2. Steel City Ambassadors 91.950
3. Caballeros 90.900
4. Buccaneers 87.550
That's an amazing shift in finishing scores both from a placement perspective and gain in overall score (Bush bringing it with an almost 4 point gain!!!). This got me thinking about other "post-season" tournaments where you have a wild-card team win the World Series, a 7-seed win the NCAA basketball tournament, etc. None of those are subjectively scored, of course, but are suggested only because they demonstrate the possibility of a lower-seeded competitor getting hot at the right moment and winning it all.
To get to the point - there have been several posts here about how the finishing order is already set. The corps still have to go out and execute, of course, but there's little chance for a dramatic gain and/or surprise finish. Is it desirable to have the possibility of such a thing in drum corps? Is it realistic in any way/shape/form? I'm trying to think of ways for a corps to get "hot" at the right moment (prelims, and finals) and shock the world.
Maybe nothing would change as folks/judges agree, generally, on the placement of the corps with the scores back-filling the placements (I have no idea if this is true but think it's close based on my reading of how more knowledgeable folks talk about judging in the activity). Maybe everything could change. No clue, but would appreciate the thoughts of those who are more/better versed in such things than I.