SCV Audition Preparation

WolverineBari

Hey--

I've been lurking here for most of the '03 season (what a season!), and I just saw my first live show ever (!) in West Chester. I'm a huge SCV fan, so, needless to say, I was majorly stoked when Vanguard got 2nd.

I have a friend (also a trombonist) who is marching baritone in Crossmen this year, and hearing how much she loves it is really making me think about my own audition preparation. I can't afford to march this coming summer (nor are my baritone skills up to par), so I plan to audition for SCV in November of '04. My question is this: What can I do over the next year and four months to make my chances of making their hornline as good as possible? I'm entering NYU in 19 days b**bs as a music composition major, so I have access to private lessons on any instrument I choose. I'm a trombonist, but I'm considering taking baritone lessons once my finger speed is acceptable.

I already know to:

1) run 1-2 miles a day

2) do LOTS of pushups, especially if I plan on marching euphonium. What a beast.

3) prepare the bejeezus out of my audition piece.

4) keep a positive attitude.

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--Jer

Are you playing a bass-bone? You could probably stand to get used to putting out the volume of air needed to play a large bore horn, with a large shank mouthpiece. Really work on your tone(like getting the "edge out out your sound--make it dark) and attacks and playing through the end of all phrases. Concentrate on where where you are sneaking a breath(avoid the obvious places like bar lines and interupting the sound in the middle of a phrase).

Also try to watch a lot of videos of SCV--or whatever corps you want to march with and study their marching technique. This can help you get a jump on the competition. There are many marching styles out there and you should try replicate posture, arm angles(in recent years, SCV has prefered a very open arm position), and the straightening of the leg just as the heel touches the ground.

Be a professional. Aside from attention to your quality of playing and posture, check your rehearsal discipline(SCV calls it work ethic)--be a listener. There's always information to be gleened from experienced players, instructors, and sometimes even a conductor may know what he's talking about :P . Also try to catch other drum corps in your area--see how they rehearse. You may also find that you wouldn't mind marching in a local corps, even if it is to gain experience.

These are all obvious pointers, but, a lot of the time these little things are what keeps a person from being the best he/she can be. It's called attention to detail.

Best of luck!

I wonder if this topic will be moved to the brass forum?

Edited by ravedodger

Hey, thanks--

Yeah, I play on a large bore tenor, which is the next biggest (best?) thing to a bass. It's got an F-Rotor, and it's a Conn 88H-O. A really wonderful horn, and it uses a bass-shank mouthpiece. I'll definitely work on all of that ^OO^ . Oh, and I like standing when I play anyway.

Thanks again!

--Jer

Edited by WolverineBari

hmmmmm Dave, should I move it? :beer:

It really belongs in the brass section and I think you will get better feedback there. So without further adue....

so moved...

Kimelabari

hey Jer,

although I marched SCV (percussion) I did march with BD brass as a bari. and the pointers Dave gave are great.

SCV is truly about how you hold yourself and how you play your horn.

I wish you the best of luck. If you are out at the hall I might see you there.

Kimela

Hey--

Thanks so much for all the tips. I'm already psyched to start working! Just one more question: I was looking at SCV's website, and it says that the Vanguard brass line has monthly camps (which I expected), and Sunday rehearsals starting in December. I know that I can barely afford to fly to Cali once a month, and that I certainly can't afford to fly once a week. Will coming from so far away hurt my chances of making the line (especially if I can't make these Sunday rehearsals?)? Thanks for all your help!

--Jer

From the kids I have talked to, I don't believe so. When their season gets done you should shoot the corps director an email and ask what the current policy is.

I will be down at the hall next week, I will see what info I can get for you Jer.

Kimela

practice, practice, practice :)

Another thing that is important is "coachability". One thing that every corps looks for is (if you get re-called to the second camp) how much you improve between the 1st camp and the 2nd camp. If there is something that you have been told to fix and you fix it by the next camp then you're a very good candidate to get the spot.

Always be open to what the instructors tell you.

Edited by ccdrummer923