Baritones and Euphoniums

BCC99Man

what?? a euph is bigger bored than the baritone (usually) euph's bore size slowly increases as the tubing goes along and baritones stay the same until the bell....hope that helps

Ah, the age-old question. First things first: a "baritone" as you usually hear it called in America (usually a horn with three front-action valves and a recording bell) is, in reality, a euphonium. The only place where real, live baritones are common is in British brass bands. The big difference between the two: baritones have cylindrical bores, while euphoniums have conical bores. Both marching baritones and euphoniums are euphoniums in reality; the different terms are used to distinguish between the two designs.

i too was taught in school that a euphonium is smaller than a baritone, the "euphonium" in question actually is an alto horn, similar to the old king trombonium but smaller. i came to my senses in high school when i had a real music teacher who knew what he was talking about.. :)

No, the baritone is really a small bored piston-valved (usually 3, but can be 4) instrument resembling that of a baritone you would see in your average middle school band room. With a recording bell (bell is bent to have the flare facing front rather than up). A euphonium is aactually related to the tuba family and is also called the tenor tuba. This instrument is usually 4 valves (sometimes 3 in student versions) with the valve section either being all 4 valves on top, or having the 4th valve on the side of the instrument to operate with the index finger of the left hand. if you want to see what a baritone and a euphonium look like, check out the Yamaha website and see for yourself. Usually a euphonium will be played in your more professional bands, and have an occasional appearance in orchestras. The baritone can be used as a euphonium, but the depth of sound is not there. One other note, the baritone is always going to be a small bored instrument, while the euphonium will usually be a large bore horn with either a european, or large shank mouthpiece that fits into the reciever. A large shank mouthpiece will not fit into a European shank. Many european manufacturers are made with a european shank, either standard or as an adapter. This would mean that the instrument will probably fit a large shank mouthpiece and have an adapter for a european mouthpiece. So the baritone will have a more trombone like sound (more brilliant) while the euphonium will have a more tuba like sound (more rich).

I hope this clears up this discussion.

Why are there bartiones and euphoniums in a marching design? To offer the brass instructor more options for depth and richness of sound and quality. There are baritone lines in DCI that use only baritones (Cavaliers, Cadets, Crossmen, any Yamaha line) and those that use nothing but euphoniums (Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara (not too long ago)), and those that use a mixture of the two depending on what part will be using the instrument (Blue Devils, Spirit-usually the lower parts will be played on Euphonium for the depth of sound that is possible on a euph.)

Make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-bareuph.cfm

the best article i've found on the subject yet....it's the one i send to all my friends who have no idea what i mean when i tell them that no, i don't play the baritone, i play the euphonium

awesome......so i guess i am finally right about something!....woo hoo.....euphs are cooler.....baritones are for pansies....j/k

Edited by newterak

It might be that the difference between the sizes of the two ends of the slides are small enough that you can do that, but both marching baritones and euphs are, by definition, euphoniums. A simple investigation of the tubing will reveal that.