Division 3 Review

Where should i start......lots of places to start but where...hhhm let start at Racine Scouts home show June 13.

Well I've been marchign in Racine Scouts for three years and 2003 showwas one of the best shows we have put on the field in a long time. Well this year was really rough for me. I started the season by attending Cavalier camp in November and December, they same weekend as Racine Scouts camp for both i believe. it was hard missing two camps and everyone just knew i would make cavies and soem were kinda disappointed that i just left them on a good year. Well cavies camps were fun and a learning experience. I auditioned really really well ..but i was a few spots short of making the Horn line. and either way it went my school schedule wouldnt' have allowed me to march a div 1 anyways. So the next Racine Scouts camp in January was a really weird one for me. Well the van came and picked up the Chicago people and i was there...no one would have expected me to be there..well i was. Well at the camp i picked up a G Mello and played..it was heaven. If the cavies camp didn't help my air flow i dont' know what happen because breathing exercises was a piece of cake.

Well during the next few camp i recruited ..about 25-20 kids for the corps and it was not easy keeping up with these kids the day before camp. Calling everyone making sure they know what to bring, if they remember everythign a taught them...memorize music. All this really payed off b/c camps were going smoothly and we had the Opener nailed the same camp it was handed to us. I think the biggest problem we had this year was getting kids and keeping them. We had so many kids in and out the corps durinh the season. Well the GE and Visual scores were screwed up for some shows but it never kept the sections from getting somewhere. Our Horline was out scoring top 5 hornlines of div 3 from the previuos year and at some shows we were right behind Cap Sound, Blue Stars and surprisingly one show behind Pioneer. We just knew the season was going well. But sadly enough we lost 2 snare, a bass, and horns leaving every show..it was bad. But never reflected in our performance. I could remember when we first added the TAG to the show...it was in Woodstock..we had the crowd hyped and our scores went up 5 points for GE. that was the part of the show that had the groove beat and the famous rock out section that had everyone moving.

Well that was my season in Racine Scouts...but another about being in div 3....the crowd isn't so big...maybe 10-15 people. During the big DCI tour we always performed 3rd or 4th in the line-up and every chance i got a ran back to the stadium and watched shows which were all div 2/3. I even missed snacks and dinner a few times...but i didnt care I had to be there to support div 3. noone watch 2/3 no more, dont' know why. I enjoy 2/3 shows alot better than div 1.

Div 3 is something that will always keep you thinking...how big are they....how good are they...with div 1 you know they are big and good for teh most part.

Reviews:

Blue Stars:

19horns(8,3,5,3), 12 battery(4,3,5), 10 pit, 10 guard, 2 dm

They've lost two snares since the season started. This is a good example of exciting div 3. they have proven that div 3 can be more competitive just like all the other divisions. during DCI midwest tour they were less than a point behind Capital Sound and Pioneer, both alot bigger than Blue Stars. I have seen them lots of times this season and I really lie this show. Some parts of the show I had to really look and see if it was Blue Stars. They did Stuff Blue Stars normally dont do...for example a jaam section. The Ballad was nice. They have a killer pit section. the Guard is so much improved since last year. It's amazing. I dont' any one else who deserved Div 3 title more than them.

Marion Glory Cadets:

16 horns(3,4,4,2,3), 13 battery(5,3,5), 5 pit, 5 guard, 1dm

Another Example of a fine Divsions 3 corps. I was kinda worried when I heard about them and Ivan the Terrible, but it turned out really nice. Nice lower brass section. I would like to point out they they only have 3 sopranos. I could swear it was at least 7-8 Sopranos on the field. They have a great overrall corps balance. When i first saw pictures of them i thought the show was a mess. A big battery and a small hornline and only 5 guard but when i finaly did see the show the battery was very balanced with the horn line that had the sound of a 25 man horn line. and guard was top notch. the drill really outlined the musical program. You could actually feel what was going on in the music as if it was a story. I really like the ballad when they sat down their helmets and the drum line danced...it had a very nice visual impact on the show and it made them look twice the size they were. the soloist during the ballad were nice... nice strong mello section. I dont know what the horn line would sound like without the Euphs, they add so much to the sound. They had a good season ..looking forward to them moving up to div 2 with a nice strong corps.

Cadets of NewYork City:

21 horns(9,3,7,2), 11 battery(5,1,5), 8 pit, 7 guard 1 DM

Now this is a corps I have never seem from the stands and when the horns play....they play. But at times they over blow and it kills the ensemble. The drumline is the best I've seen in Div 3. the Guard is very strong. I think the Guard performed well but tHE middle section of the show was all done by one guard member it seem like. the ballad had some really nice solo work there. The pit was by far the section that kept the corps up. Very talented. Nice job shaping the ballad. I would love to see this corps move through the ranks into div 1 some day.

But nice job on a well written show.

Bandettes:

10 horns(5,2,2,1) 5 battery(2,0,5), 6 pit, 10 guard

WOW!! All girls..would never think a group of girl would go out and lay a show down like that. Talented Sop solo, mello line, and contra. The day i see this corps reach tHE membershiP numbers of 50-60, there is noone who will stop them from kickiNG some butt. Just think if they're beating hornlines with 18-24 horns and they only have 10 horns..what would they do with just 15 horns.GOD. this corps have potential. It has taken them a long time to get to where they are. What's hurting them is the numbers visually and the guard. the guard isnt' at the level as the reast of the corps.this corps has everything there is to win except numbers. they need to get more battery on the field and a few more horns on the bottom. The pit seems fine..matching battery really well. oh, may I point out Bela Fleck music is not a piece of cake...it's a hand full. Good Luck in the Future.

Racine Scouts(from a outside view):

14 horns(9,1,2,2), 6 battery(2,2,2), 7 pit, 7 guard, 1 DM

Man have this corps lost people peopLE since the beginnin of the season. At the beginning there were 26 horns(12,6,6,2), 10 battery(4,2,4),and too many guard to count. Well did a nice job with what they got. nice job with Bond Theme. First half of show seems good but not as good as the second half. The first half have a GOOD opener and series of bond songs, the second half got a ballad with a well done div 1 level bari/mello duet. The lone mello was the best in div 3. the lower brass section layed down the notes like they were playing scales. The closer had a meaty drum solo...Who would ever think 2 bass drums could do just as much as 5. Tenor line had fun....the snare line was exceptional, had a cool trade off lick that was very clean and entertaining. The guard had a series of solo work in the balad into some nice swing flag work. Might i add the rifle solo was div 1 material. Now that that's all done lets get to the most cleanest, balanced part of the show. The end of the closer nice ballad feel into a fast drum break ,again lots of fast drill that is clean. Clean marching and then the pit add with the bond theme to the meaty drum licks and then out of no where the horn line at the box playing and then again....the lower brass got the melody....I've never seen 2 baris and 2 contras do what they have done this season. Drill really cool here lower brass in a diamond and the rest of the horn line and corps add in into a huge diamond and they rock out the bond theme and then it happen....the coolest visual impact in div 3....a diamond cutter into a 007 on the field with the famous bond chord as the last note. Very powerful last statement might I add for 14 horns....This corps got some potential too..was looking forward to them in Semis in Orlando...I guess the judges saw it different... They had a great season looking forward to next year.

There are lots of corps I saw but only saw like parts of the performance and it would only be fair to write a review of the whole show. But i can say Spirit of Newark got some young talent and if all goes well in 3-4 years this could be the div 3 champions. St. Johns had a nice little Harry Potter show too..nice guard.

Well this is my review seen and have seen the show completely through..there's more corps but I'll have to get my pictures and notes to recall the shows.. well until next time....later folks.

Edited by MelloHorn13