C Trumpets and G Bugles

JoeW

well i have a quick question.......beside the bore difference, isnt the c trumpet ( commonly used in orchestras) in the same key as a g bugle......because isnt the middle partial G on both? thanks for any help

No. I don't remember all the details, but there's quite a bit that goes into the key of an instrument. The key is the fundamental pitch of the horn, which for C trumpet is, of course, C. And a C trumpet is considerably different from a G sop (or even a Bb sop, at that).

On a C trumpet, the fundamental pitch is a C, and the second partial is a G. On a G bugle, the fundamental is G, second partial is D.

At least, that's how it should be. I am a trombone player, after all, but we have the same issue between alto (pitched in Eb) and tenor trombones (Bb).

Edited by tankbone2002

What do you mean by "middle partial"? The basis of all brass instruments is the harmonic (or overtone) series, where the lowest open note (or fundamental) determines the key of that particular instrument and this is followed by a series of open partials above fundamental. The 3rd partial of the trumpet, soprano, mellophone or any other upper brass instrument is a written "G". But many of these are transposing instruments, so when a G soprano plays a written "G" it will actually sound as a concert "D". I hope this clears some things up for you.

Dustin

On a C trumpet, the fundamental pitch is a C, and the second partial is a G.

You're pretty close, Tankbone. The fundamental pitch of the C trumpet is actually the pedal tone. The next C up is the second partial followed by the G on the third partial.

In simplest terms, without talking about partials, a C trumpet is pitched higher (a [perfect fourth higher) than a G bugle.