Yamaha Keys

Chi-Chkins

never had problems with the axles....but with the pedals...we made sure to raise them all the way up before we'd move them anywhere so they wouldn't catch on anything

We have a winner. Always put your vibe pedals up when moving. It ticks the vibe players off, but it's better for the board.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

This is true. I did usually check that the pedals were up, Chi-chi, and yet they still would get bent and nothing in the trailer hit them or was on the floor. And I know they were bungeed in thght enough so that they would not move (theoretically). It is still a mystery to me how it happens. And the frames? I believe that Yamaha was trying to get away with cheeper welds on the all-teraine frames that claim to be indestructable but which are really not. These frames are not the typical round pipe ones they are square pipe with 8 inch (I think) wheels that inflate and have no wing nuts or small parts to loose. The welds are actually only brazed on the top and bottom of the pipe not around the whole thing. And a braze is much weaker than an actual weld. I believe that part of the problem was that the bungees that were used to secure the instruments in the trailer put too much pressure on the brazing especially with the bouncing of the trailer. We no longer put bungees around the long cross braces that go from end to end. So, if anyone gets these new frames get them re-welded where the crossbraces are before they break because duct tape only works for so long and becareful how you bungee them!

Shara Barlow, Bandettes Percussion Staff

Edited by shara

The engineers who design these things know there is no such thing as imdestructable. What they do is design the joints to take a certain range of forces...if a load is on the joint that is greater than the design limit, guess what? I do know that the wingnuts on the new yamaha vibes do work themselves loose. The threads will also shear completely off if you tighten them too much (yes, it can be done by hand), rendering the wingnut completely useless.

Even if the pedal is coming down on the ride, it shouldn't bend anything unless the keyboard is bouncing around within the truck. I've seen how rough these truck rides can be, and it would not surprise me to see the keyboard bouncing all over the place unless it was well strapped in.

this is more expensive...but...

Bungees are not designed for something as heavy as keyboards. They're designed for very lightweight loads, no more than 40 lbs. A better thing to try would probably be industrial ratchet straps. They're made essentially from the same stuff seatbelts are made from, and they hold very well. It'll keep things from bouncing around uncontrollably in the truck.