Practice Question

JoeW

ok so i have been practicing about an hour a day for my upcoming auditions and doing fairly well.......i am planning on doing two hours a day now that it is crunch time but was wondering if i can split the two hours up or should i practice for two hours straight?.....should i play two hours straight (with some obvious breaks) to get more in shape or split the 2 hours and play twice a day?

hope i didnt confuse anyone....and not to sound rude but, please give me the facts not your opinions... ^OO^

Thanks for any help you may have!

Well...

Most people suggest breaking it up!

My rule is rest as much as you play. Now as a Euph, you have life a little easier than us with the small pieces but rest is still a must.

The rule of thumb among Brass teachers is break it up ...

1. Warmup

2. Rest

3. Tech studies (slurs, scales, tounging, etc..)

4. Rest

5. Rest some more.

6. Work your Music and Etudes.

Now you can break it up throughout the day (which is what I do) but there is no "facts" saying yeah or ney... I just find my chops get better throughout the day and are fresher at the end of the day. Which is when you need them in corps! Also you will play in segments throughout the summer.

Cool down at the end of each period. And if your chops give then STOP. Thats Lactic Acid telling you to stop before you hurt your self.

BTW, In the world of Brass.... All is an opinion.

Edited by bssop97

kk.....i appreciate.......i always do mine about the same and will prolly try to split it up....thats better for times sake anyways

Split it up.

What I do to help is mentally rehearse, meaning listen to the recording, and think about the piece when you are not putting the horn on your chops. It helps. But, definately split up the hours.

BTW, In the world of Brass.... All is an opinion.

very true, i've had so many different ideas layed out in front of me, many of which were conflicting. Routines are like diets, for the most part, they all work. Some will work better for you but the important thing is to stick to it. i know this has almost nothing to do with the topic so my apologies, btw, euphonibone what etudes are u playing at ur audition?

Most prefer to split up practice into several different sessions. Your attention span will be greater in smaller sessions, and you can focus more on one thing during each smaller session.

I know a lot of pros use their first session to "warm-up" (there is no such thing as a warm-up...as Bud Herseth likes to say "a warm-up is a practice session gradually approached), and run through technical excersises and other maintenance.

The second session may be orchestral excerpts or if there's an upcoming concert, the concert music.

The third session may be solo work and etudes.

And the fourth session may be sight-reading or something fun.