SHOW REVIEW AND SCORES!!

Still waiting for the return of the International Forum........

09/06/02

London England

DCUK

OPEN CLASS

1...Southern Aurora.................60.9

2...Senators.............................60.3

3...Cadence.............................55.1

4...Encore................................52.4

5...6th Hove Scouts.................46.7

6...Black Knights......................45.9

7...Staffordshire Knights..........38.4

A CLASS

1...Squires...............................48.9

JUNIOR CLASS

1...6th Hove Scouts.................49.0

CADET CLASS

1...37th Kingswood..................43.0

2...Black Knights.......................32.0

3...Cadence Guildford...............27.0

The following review was taken from the DCUK discussion groups webpage.

Posted by John Lythe on June 11, 2002 at 11:12:35:

Well, here's my very brief thoughts on an excellent first show of the season.

Sorry I only got to see open class, but i heard good reports form all the other classes as well... anyway... a tiny snippet of my thoughts on the corps.

staffs knights - good show idea, sorry, pink just doesn't do it for me though. brass and percssion seem to struggle on open class range. guard scores in single figures definately accounted for the low score. i think they will improve on this.

BK - great start, will be interesting to see how they match magic and forgemen in 2 weeks. brass sound more mature than they are and you can see they have had a good visual program over the winter to improve marching

6th hove - very very strong start to the show. another good product. they will be pushing for a finals spot deffo. some exciting horn work will benefit from a bit more control.

encore - promising show. will they catch cadence and kidsgrove??? maybe. looked rough in places. big tear in the ballad (is the ballad too looooooong?) solid in all sections, although the drum line look out of their depth compared to the top 3 or 4. mark pirie should clean them up so i expect them to push to top 4 later on.

cadence - nice show. like the 'wave work' visually at the start. bigger drum line than recent years, but not as quality as the top 2 today. horns seem a bit smaller, but had some very good moments. I think they will grow a lot this season, but will be pushed hard, especially early on, by encore and kidsgrove.

SA - first win in the first half of the season. They look solid again. Strong in all sections with the guard finally putting in to the level of the musicians. Nice horn sound and drums still look good. An exciting, entertaining show and I think they will fancy it this year.

Sens - I've never seen a corps so 'polished' this early. Very strong in all sections, with the horns and drums the strongest I've seen for a few years from east leigh. Good horn sound from the off, very excited show. It's between Brighton and Eastleigh I think.

To be honest I was surprised SA took today (although they were good!) I honestly think it's because the judges didn't like the way Sens have done something a bit different with their drill... lots of 2 pace intervals (that means 1 pace pass throughs which they do very well, scary!) i guess the judges just didn't like it. It's a shame that something NEW and ORIGINAL seems to get punished because otherwise their show was hot.

It'll be interesting to see if Senators change their visual book to please the judges, because I honestly think that will decide the final outcome, if they open it up to get the marks, i think they will move up a lot. I'm just a bit gutted that something a bit different still isn't credited.

Maybe they are getting ready for INDOOR drum corps in a couple of years?!??!

What do you think?