Is anyone still fielding french horns ???

Kekasse

I think you'll find French Horns in some of the Senior lines. I can't think of any Juniors who are using them. I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with an answer on this. They sure sound sweet when they're dead on.

I think you'll find French Horns in some of the Senior lines. I can't think of any Juniors who are using them. I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with an answer on this. They sure sound sweet when they're dead on.

SCV had something called a french horn last year. Didn't look like one to me and I couldn't really detect a french horn sound either. But maybe that's just me.

:P

Kilties and RA both marching mellos only. RA has 16, Kilties have 7.

Never played mello in drum corps until this year. I like it.

-Terri

SC Vanguard Alumni 2002 had a killer French Horn Section. 10 of them, I believe.

I would love to march French Horns - 2002 was our first year without - just couldn't find enough players! I have a nice set of Silver Kings...

Edited by randomnoise

I think you'll find  French Horns in some of the Senior lines. I can't think of any Juniors who are using them. I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with an answer on this. They sure sound sweet when they're dead on.

The french horns available today are unlike those of the early days of drum corps. The original french horn bugle was an adaption of a small belled (6 inch) baritone bugle resized to fit the smaller mouthpiece. This was done in the 1930's and this horn had a long slender look with a bell that eventually reached 8 inches. So in reality the french horn of the past was a trumpet like instrument. Getzen made one for marching bands called a frumpet. It has a very penetrating sound, rather un-french horn like in nature. But it did fit very well with the more cylindrical baritones on the day and was the most chromatic bugle in the choir.

With the advent of larger low brass horns; current baritone, euphonium, and contrabass, the french horn was modified into a more square shape and was called a "concert" french horn. This horn had a sound that blended better with the modern choir, but didn't have the flexilibility of the mellophone. So it has fallen into disuse at present. The last significant use of the french horn in drum corps was the 1994 Glassmen with their Moody Blues show.

• Like 1

We fielded a French Horn at the Loudest Show on Earth.

After one of our Lead baris bailed on us (publicly, on DCP - but that is another story that I won't go into), I asked our friend Lizz (who has hung with the Renegades before) if she would be willing to learn his spot and march with us that night.

It is to her credit that she jumped right in and learned the spot.

Lizz is a French Horn player, so we sent someone down to the Corps Hall for a horn, which she marched with that night.

Lizz will be moving over to fill a Mellophone spot this coming weekend (another flake, but this one told me in person). But, for one night, we DID march a French Horn.

Thanks, Lizz!!!

Edited by randomnoise

Man Jeff you know everything.

<Bows down and worships>

Thanks, but I'm still learning. The new Drum Corps history book has a ton of information on bugles. Buy one and you to can be a bugle expert! B) Scooter Pirkle wrote some fantastic info about middle brass choirs. He is the expert in this area.

I saw some mellophones with french horn mouthpieces being used this season. I will keep an eye and ear peeled for french horns, except maybe for the Renegades. I should be able to hear them without a problem. :lol:

• 8 months later...