Who was the first?

Russellrks

First to spin flags was St Anthony's Band from Revere, MA in 1972

Visual designer was George Zingali. he then took the idea to a local drum corps he taught.

Other notable alum from the St Anthony's program include Marc Sylvester & Wanda Conway. The band program also ran a Winter Guard that later became Quasar.

In 72 - 2-7 had a line called the "trick flags"-there were 6 of them. The flags were lime green to make sure they were not missed. One included Margaret (Peggy) Twiggs, who went on to teach some of the finest guards in the land. Let me see if I can attach the picture of the original 6 in drum corps marching into a show......I'll try it on the next thread...

Thank you George and Margaret....

Edited by LancerFi

See below, I received one answer from an original trick and made a phone call to another who is a family member of the director of 2-7, guess it was Margaret "Peggy" Twiggs. However seeing as they GZ & PT were best friends for about 20 years, we'll let it pass. He did invent double silks! And many other things as you probably know.

"It was Peggy and the trick flags... end of 1971... beginning of 1972 - and we had it in the show in 1972. It wasn't Zingali..."

I do however believe he must have added a lot of work for the line!!

I'll have to call Mae and ask her about St. Anthonys and whether they were also spinning.....

First to spin flags was St Anthony's Band from Revere, MA in 1972

Visual designer was George Zingali. he then took the idea to a local drum corps he taught.

Other notable alum from the St Anthony's program include Marc Sylvester & Wanda Conway. The band program also ran a Winter Guard that later became Quasar.

:beer: ...Umm, it had to be earlier than that. We did a 3 count flag spin during "If I were a rich man" in '70. And if we did it then, then other flaglines must have been spinning too. There are lots of Guards "spinning" albeit only 3 or 4 count spins on the '71 World Open tape I have.

So are you talking about a "continuous" spin as round and round and round for umpteen counts? Then I would have to agree that it was 2-7 first on field.

When you ask, "Who was the first?" I think you should be more specific....like who was the first in drum corps.

I mean, if you want to give credit for THE first, then I think credit should go to the Italian Flag Hurlers.....see info below....also, one could say this group "could have been" the first drum & bugle corps.

I have written to them asking for a time line.

Italian Flag Hurlers

Sbandieratori Ducato Caetani.....presented by the Lazio region of Italy

Sbandieratori Ducato Caetani will give a spectacular display of the traditional Italian art of flag-hurling at this year's Lygon Street Festa.

The roll of the drums and the blare of the trumpets take onlookers back in time to the atmosphere of the middle ages. The performers vault their flags into the air, expertly catching them and move in and out of choreographed military formations such as the phalanx, circle and wedge. The colorful, joyful display recalls ancient battles and keeps alive a unique centures-old folkloric tradition.

I just got this info from Sbandieratori Ducato Caetani,

move the flags according to music of drums and trumpets, probably is an invention of the last

50 - 60 years

but if you want to go in the history of moving flag

we have some document dated 1637

is a CODICE = a ancient book

named "L'ARTE DI MANEGGIAR L'INSEGNA = the art of flag handle

in this book with images are described movements, tecnique, ect.

it was considered as a special sport useful to prepare to the use of the sword

So there you have it.....the ITALIANS were the FIRST to SPIN a flag. You know what else is interesting, Zingali and most of Revere were/are Italians.....no wonder they pushed the envelop for color guard.....it was in their blood!