Blue Knights

JoeW

first you have to take a look at this picture from Blue Knights January camp

click here

the snares are angled just like SCV's are? is this something new for them......is their tech an SCV alum?........just curious

ps.....im not a percussionist so i dont know the whole drum terminology

I don't know that they have an SCV alum. But i'm sure I remember hearing they were angling thier snares this year. It makes more sense with Traditional grip. It really should increase thier score overall in percussion i bet.

Quick, who said this and where? "They're beautiful black Pearls!"

The fact that they are Pearls may have something to do with a Vanguard connection as well. But honestly, I don't know how long BK has been with Pearl.

If there is a SCV connection to this, it wouldn't be the first time with Blue Knights, as of course the one and only Ralph Hardimon went from SCV to BK some years ago and put his trademark writing style on the drum line at that time.

Edited by dmfootworks

I think the corps started using Pearl in 2001 if I remember correctly. Pictures of 2000 show them using Premier.

As for the SCV Connection Theory about the tilting snares, I have no idea. The snare tilt has been consistent with picture from the past few camps. If someone knows more, please feel free to share. as I am not marching this summer I really can't answer.

I hope this helps!

The Caption head is Pat Aman. He was the Troopers Caption head prior to the Knights. I know he worked under Hardimon for one or two years with BK. As for his marching experience???? I think Troopers but I'm not positive. Their move to Pearl was two mabye three years ago.....They used them for the "toon" Show. The SCV style snares ??? Mabye the staff just thinks it is a good idea. :blink:

Edited by greentenorman

Anyone think that the tilted position while in standstill mode could be less fatiguing and better for the body? They're just learning to play the arrangements, after all, and having a different snare drum position isn't too much unlike playing without marching. Just an idea.

dont think so, that'd just be a pain in the ### to keep changing back and forth. the only difference it makes is the traditionally gripped left hand being able to play at a more natural angle. besides, they're on stands... i sure hope they're not fatigued.