New Attitude

33 members have voted

1. 1. New Attitude

• yes
    • no

I have watched over the last few years DCI and the elite few that run it,, change what use to be drum and bugle corps, into,, well Bands! Now don't get me wrong. I have no problem with bands, but there was a great pride in drum and bugle corps when many of us were in, that there was a distinct separation. Now bugles are trumpets and so on and so on,, its like someone threw away our heritage, our pride of the past. We have been told "this is what we're going to do to your activity and theres nothing you can do about it" Are we "good with this"? I'm not! Do I sound a little bitter? #### ya!!!! What we accomplished with "inferior equipment" was outstanding and the only reason that I can see to completly change equipment is that someone high up is making out well with the equipment giants. Part of the reason we see corps. fold year after year is that the folks who are suppose to be furthering the drum and bugle corps. experience, have made it impossible for most corps. to afford. If you believe that I'm out of line and you marched when drum and bugle WAS drum and bugle, then I must be the antique that my kids think I am. I have never gone WITH the grain, but this change has been so drastic, I can not believe that I would be the only one who has felt it and was upset about it. Does Drum & Trumpet Corps. sound right to you???????

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!! 50+ Views and no other opinions?? did I hit on a taboo subject? LOL.

Surely there are other's out there that feel good or bad about what I've tried to say here. I am not putting down the drum and bugle corps. of today. My God the musicianship is unbelievable and the athletisisum, I salute all who march now and those of us who did it in the past. I'm asking your opinion on if you believe DCI has made drum corps. less fun, less exciting,,,just less with all of its bandlike "inovations"

Comon,,, Go against the grain! be a shepard not the sheep that follow. Ya know you want to.

I won't vote in the poll because I don't quite understand what you are really asking...

Is it "does DCI take itself too seriously?"

or is it

"has DCI made drum corps less fun, less exciting?"

Besides, I don't really care what other people think about it, and big green letters make my eyes hurt. :P

How sad!!! The question explains itself and as for the green letters. Oh well!!

No, the question asked in the title of the post doesn't explain itself...not when it really doesn't have much to do with the text you wrote afterwards. In the 1970's, I would say that there were plenty of drum corps in DCI who took themselves and the activity very seriously (sometimes a bit too much for some people's tastes). Same for the 80's, 90's and today. There have ALWAYS been corps who have taken themselves and the activity seriously. So what.

Drum corps can not be all things to all people. Some people will either love it, live it with, tolerate it, be disenchanted with it, or hate it. People's tastes in what entertains them are different...not better or worse, just different. Same as it ever was....same as it ever was....same as it ever was.

Hey thats more like it! I applaud you're opinion believe me, however I was not refering to Drum and Bugle Corps. I was speaking of DCI as an organization. You are right, through the years there have been corps. that have taken themselves seriously and thats not a bad thing. What I was getting at was the power that DCI has over all corps. now, that more or less forces them adhere to their decisions or else. Do you like the drum and trumpet corps or are you really old school?

So your saying that lower divisions shouldn't be considerd in the decision making? Are they not drum and bugle corps too?Talk about big goverment! This is what my question was all about in the first place. There were many more corps at one time then just what you call Division 1. I was with what you now call a division one corps. most of my life but unlike DCI organization I never looked down on where I came from.

Gottcha :D , sorry I misunderstood! BTW I like the Picture oh Khan[/size] Edited by BariBrian