Just curious about...

JoeW

I heard that Cadets and Crossmen will be marching with the new Yamaha marching euphonium prototypes this year.......can anyone tell me if the Cavaliers (doubt it) or SCV will be using them also this summer?

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing, and came across these pictures at corpsreps.com

CM061304_00092.jpg

The Euphs are on the left, and the Baris on the right. Not too much of a difference, but the Euph is obviously bigger.

CM061304_00103.jpg

In this picture, look at the line splitting the 50 and the Side A 45. 2nd & 3rd guys deep. Is it just me, or is that the Euph with a bigger bell than the 3rd guy with the Bari?

I'm intersted to know if any of you who have heard the Cadets so far can distinguish the Euphs from the Baris, etc.

No word on any of the other corps...yet

the euphs sounds gorgeous. It REALLY depens the sounds of the low brass section.

I agree completely Stephen....you also must have an arranger that understands the voicing of that particular section of the low brass.........the way the euph parts are written impacts tremendously the overall depth of sound!

excellent.....nothing beats a great euph sound......i havent really noticed the euphs being used by the Cavaliers or SCV

SCV used to march only euphs or all euphs and a few baris to cover the high stuff.

thanks....i was just wondering if SCV has the Yamaha euphs now in addition to the new set of baris

I know that the YEA corps both have them. I do not believe that the Cavaliers are using them. SCV... I don't know about. It is an excellent horn, shorter and fatter than the dynasty euph. More akin to the Kanstul. The prototype I played had a tuning slide trigger, which was awkwardly placed. Other than that, wonderful intonation, the notes slot so easily. Even in upper ranges that a euph really won't experience in a drum corps show, it played open, and had wonderful resonance. It is really a great horn, and I wouldn't have expected less from Yamaha.