Bluecoats Dress Rehearsal Review

posted on behalf of Ted Striker

OK

I saw th Bluecoats with the new uniforms on Saturday, June 12th at Ridgewood High School in West Lafayette High School (about 10 minutes from Coshocton, OH). They rehearsed for about 3 hours with the new uniforms on (color guard obviously did not wear their 2004 outfits).

I took a hand full of pictures, but David Glasgow asked the audience to not post the pictures anywhere on a computer or on the web until the Bluecoats performed at their home opener on June 17th with Stark Brass and the Trapani Big Band, which is a reasonable request.

If the Bluecoats did not have the pictures posted by tomorrow, I will do my best to have them scanned in and posted tomorrow,,,,the pictures are slightly at a distance. However, since I can not log onto the Bluecoats site, they are probably updating as we speak.

I can say the following of what I saw:

1. The uniform is basically the same, i.e., blue jacket (slightly darker) and strictly white pants.

2. The pants uniforms are a little more streamlined, jackets that is at the bottom.

3. Sleeves look different...gauntlets are darker.

4. Baldric is a tapered white one.

5. Helmet and plume remain the same!!

Of the performance I can say this:

1. This is by and far the best guard I have seen this corps field and one of the best guards I have seen early on--they may finish top 3-4 in guard.

2. The entire musical package is much more demanding than anything they have ever had---and I am an alumnist. The drum book is much more technical than I have seen. There is a wonderful mellophone line at the end of the opener (a la Star 91) and the drill is very demanding there--they have had several ankle/foot injuries to vets because of the higher demand of movement.

3. The opening has a riff from (of all things) "In the Mood" and then goes into "Ride."

4. The ballad (which is broken up) is "Someday I'll Fly Away," which will have to be one of the most gorgeous selections played this year (beautiful chord selections and writing).

5. I have only heard bits and pieces of "Huntin' Wabbits" but I can tell you that it is most challenging musically and visually...when this section cleans, it will be amazing to top. Doug Thrower and the visual staff really have it together on this one.

6. Unlike the recent past, this hornline plays RFL!!!!!!! It was like marching 1990 all over again. Of all things, most people will notice that the dynamics of this corps has changed dramatically. I will wait for others to post, but I am certain that most of the same comments will be made.

In sum...

1. Great guard

2. Clean musically

3. Demanding drill

4. LOUD HORN LINE (when they need to be).

Ted Striker