Hayward Review 7.0

Hayward Review 7.0

Disclaimer: First, I didn't see every corps. Second, I give both the pro and con of every corps reviewed and hold nothing back. I reserve the right to say absolutely anything about any corps whatsoever (including my own), and comment on any aspect of show design. Most importantly, I intend no disrespect to anyone. But, if you want a 100% shiny happy review, this ain't it. Run away.

ESPERANZA: PRO: First time I ever saw this corps, and I was impressed. Cool maroon uniform colors, and a very solid musical and visual show. CON: The show is a little "too safe." Adding some punch to the impact points will go a long way with your crowd and GE numbers.

MANDARINS. Pro: Use of a Taiko section in the pit is Genius, -- with a capital "G." Easily one of the most creative and entertaining shows of the entire night, and their drum line's ability to use different exotic sound combinations was amazing. Rumiko's favorite corps of the night. Con: Full corps singing is a cool idea, but only if done well. Suggestion: Get a choir teacher to a rehearsal or two

Mandarins Design Issue 6(f): From the stands, the Blood Red banners with the black writing in the a white circle that line the back sideline look EXACTLY like the banners once used by a German political party. Really. No sarcasm or disrespect intended -- check them out at the next show.

Suggestion: Change the color ASAP.

PACIFIC CREST. PRO: Drill is good, show has much more GE and impact than last year (a good thing). Horn line is very strong. Cool full drum line ethnic percussion section, and the drummers interact well with the crowd as they play the African drums. Guard is clean. CON: Drum breaks have lots of "beats", but sometimes don't quite go with the music. Ethnic drumming section needs an ending. Also, I don't get the whole random colorguard girl laying down on the field as if she is dead every 2 minutes. In fact, I don't think anyone in the crowd does. Someone please explain this, so we can appreciate the show.

FRANK DORRITIE: One of the best drum corps announcers I have ever heard. And way better than those two radio guys who used to make fun of every corps.

RIVER CITY REGIMENT. PRO: RCR took the field with their head held high, and they left the field the same way. Bravo. The new uniforms are the best look RCR has ever had. Sunshine is a great arrangement of a great tune, fronted by talented soprano soloists. CON: A few ensemble problems are written into the show by the staging of the drill.

BLUE DEVILS. PRO. Power, Power and more Power. The show is relentless, including a drum line that runs a track meet for most of the show. Horn line is extremely clean, and goes to 11. Pit amplification works well, and allows you to hear all the instruments. CON: Sometimes pit was amplified too loud (once the vibes were louder than the hornline) ... lack of melody in the brass charts hurts GE ... the ending of the show does not quite work yet. And the guard wears aprons (?).

VANGUARD. PRO: Vanguard's show this year is brilliant. B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T. Brilliant. Horns, drums, guard, drill. All of it. My favorite Vanguard show in 13 years. They have a very good chance of winning DCI. CON: The guard uniforms could be a better color maybe? But what do I know.

VANGUARD AND BLUE DEVILS MASS BRASS: Awe inspiring.

RENEGADES. PRO: Cleanest Renegades ever and the corps now owns an equipment trailer and black ATV with shark's teeth. CON: Can't hear the marching tubes yet ... colorguard's uniforms are not done yet. Renegade of the Renegades Dan Day has yet to register an official complaint this season, and it's already June.

Nice job Mr. Lee. Funny how last year I gave a pro/con review and got reamed by someone for being too negative, but that's water under the burning bridge. I agree with almost all your points. I wish you would've seen the Academy so we could hear your thoughts on the surprise of the summer.

I didn't go to Hayward, so did the program directors move the Academy to perform at the end of Div.2? Just curious.