Yamaha Silent Brass

Brian

i got a silent brass because i was travelling and needed to practice while in hotels. i was able to practice at 10 at night and no one complained (i puposefully practiced softly). however i found that it made my tone and pitch less centered, so that it didnt translate well to playing without the mute. it didnt work to practice long tones or lip slurs, plus i really dislike the stuffy feel it gives. but for practicing technique and articulation its great. and on stuffiness- its better than other mutes ive tried. but personally i wouldnt use it unless i really had to.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a yamaha silent brass practice mute for Euphonium. It cost about $100.00 for the mute only. I didn't need the extras, since I already had the rig for my trombone mute. Which cost me about $250.00 for the complete rig for trombone.

The mute fits better in a Deg 2 Valve than the Kanstul 3 valve. But it works wonderfully. If you don't mind an already bell heavy horn being 6x's more bell heavy. It's not totally silent. My hotel roommate on DCA's tour threw a PMS fit and requested I stop playing. He was trying to sleep at the time and it was 2am-ish.

I've played a JoRal practice mute for trombone, and the yamaha silent brass is light years better. You can actually move the slide without the extra back pressure. Having the electronic rig to make it sound almost like an unmuted trombone is also a plus. Although the analog-ness of the sound is evident and it's not something you can use to record from.

There is a little bit of backpressure / stuffy-ness from the mute, but not nearly as much as other practice mutes. But enough to force you to play louder than you would normally. Intonation doesn't seem too bad either. Most other mutes put you about a full quarter tone sharp. The silent brass one puts you about a 1/3rd of this sharp. Almost enough to not even adjust if you don't have perfect pitch.

Shadow_7