Another Kalamazoo review

My first large show in a couple years, due to childrens birth. And it was a very good one.

Couple things stuck out and I'll mention em first. HATE the micing. Didn't realize these were for vocals. Thought it was to mic the pit,not to SING or TALK with! Do not like the chatter during the show. Secondly, I noticed numerous corps with the same feature....they have a section where the bass drums play at the same time as the Contra's, tenors same time as the middle voice horns, and the snares at te same time as the sops. Now,this has been used successfully numerous times in the past,but I've NEVER seen it used so extensively in the same season! It was as if at times, you'd see the drill setting it up andhere we go again. Crazy. One other thing I'd mention is the lack of creativitiy, outside the "new talking,singing" garbage,which I do not care for at all. There needs to be a infusion of creativity.

This isn't going to be a 'specific corps' review. It will be a montage of them and what I remember.

Some of the early corps really didn't distinguish themselves as memorable. Colts are the Colts. Glassmen I do like their music. They have a very nice hornline,from a snare drummers perspective,that is. I do like their guard work in the opener. Those long dresses with the red liner are used effectively. Thought they got away from it too soon,could have used it more in the show,not just the opener. Pulling the dress up to reveal the red and up over the head was a very neat effect. Then they took em off and went to a drab blue colored outfit. STICK WITH THE RED.

Spirit,absolutlely LOVE their cymbals! These guys are SCV caliber. If you haven't noticed them,pay attention because they REALLY show it up! It was alot of fun watching them. I miss the Spirit of old. They've got their uni's,but they DON'T have their power or drumline.

Crossmen...god,do these guys have to end their show nearly the same way year after year?? Double strokes in the pit section. When you hear the end of their show,it's ...yup.that's Crossmen. Their uni's are taking a bit to get used to.

Scouts, to me they seemed a hair off tonight. Didn't seem to have the energy I'm used to seeing from them. Musically,yea.....there's power and action....but it lacked in visual presentation and power. Sections where they're plodding on the field and wailing in the music...just didn't work together. If you're playing 180+bpm and walking ...I dunno,just doesn't fit for me. The action should match the velocity of music...or at least attempt to. The early part of the show to me is slow paced. The crowd loved Malaga as did I. It's definately a little different from past Malagas. The shiny rectangle in the middle of their uni's are out of place. They don't fit visually. Their drums are much improved. The snares did a memorable accelerando that worked very nicely. Cleaner than previous years,nice work.

Phantom rocked. Love their show. Love the beginning but it seems like it shouldn't be the opener...more like the middle of the show. But I love the Contra's sidestepping walk. Fits what they're playing nicely. The music fits Phantom. A very solid show overall,solid in all areas. No more weak guardwork for them. As many have mentioned,the castenettes work very well. Love their show! Second fav show of the night....

Boston...the box idea was neat,liked it. Did NOT like the talking,can it!!! Nothing else stood out from them,to me.

Crown....more talking,singing whatever.....don't care for it. The music stands on its own,SHUDDUP!! Very solid hornline. Seemed very balanced.

Which brings us to the DEVILS. Absolutely love their show this year! the 'Train' theme works very well. Hornlines unbelievable. Soloists were a tad off for them. But they still hit the stratosphere!! They've got the total bill....not a surprise if they take it all this year. The tuned discs the drumline plays is a very nice touch. This is by far my fav show. They smoke! The standstill was phenomenal. Their hornline has range other corps can only dream about. Cream of the crop applies here....good job! The ending is nice as the 'train' stops offline.....with the drum 'cha cha ..cha......cha...........cha' ending....neat.

Having never been to this venue,I found it very nice. Really,it's a perfect setting for Drum Corps. A very very entertaining,enjoyable night...and NO rain!...wow....

Edited by Sportster

Having never been to this venue,I found it very nice. Really,it's a perfect setting for Drum Corps. A very very entertaining,enjoyable night...and NO rain!...wow....

Once you're sitting down the venue is really nice, but trying to get to your seats is a real pain. Having only two entrances to get into the stadium (not to mention they're at the very top) is not very ideal. And also the train behind the stadium is kind of annoying, but it was only for like 5 seconds each time, so that was bearable. All in all, a GREAT show. Just a few things I want to get off my chest:

Carolina Crown - Very enjoyable music, crowd seemed to love it, but lose the singing/talking.

Crossmen - not digging the new uni's.

Madison - thank you for blowing my face off at the end.

Boston - NO!!!!! don't ruin a good show by the crappy narration. That's a fine idea for something else, say BOA, just keep it out of drum corps.

BD - Sitting in the 6th row, all I can say is **** they're loud! The new uni's are actually pretty spiffy, had a nice little pinstripe suit integrated into it, i like it.

So yeah, anyways..my view on the amps is that it can be very effective and useful in some ways like amplifying certain pit sounds, but I don't think the human voice should be amped what-so-ever. That's my 2.5 cents, I'm out.

Sportster,

I had the exact same thought about the drum/horn features. We've seen it all before. How about if the Contras play with the snares, tenors play with the sops, and the basses play with the mellos? Hmmm, would that even work? Interesting....

Also, I wanted to comment on Regiment's drill. Everyone has been all excited because Regiment has a top notch visual program this year! Uhhhhh, yeah they run all over the place but it makes no sense! At least not on my 1st read. Last year's was much more fitting and appropriate to what they were playing. Speed should not equal effect. Period.

And the Blue Devils...... Loved their show this year more so than I have since 2000. But, they are loud - almost obnoxiously loud. I think when they are told to play softer they either turn around or turn off all the 2nd 3rd parts. But let me compliment them on their ensemble playing. Unbelievable! What exactly are they not doing to be maxing out that caption right now? I wish I understood judging.

My last point.... I have now seen everyone from last year's Top 12 except for SCV, but I've listened to them numerous times on the APD. The top 4 this year will be (in no particular order) SCV, BD, Cavaliers, and Cadets. As much as I love Phantom Regiment, it took a special show to break into the top 4 last year and this year they just don't have "it". No one else does either. Just listening to the corps you can tell the Big 4 are on another level. Oh well, I'll still enjoy the shows I like no matter where they place.

A couple of other items..... Maybe this should go in the Amp Discussion Forum...

BAC has added another line of narration to their show. I was hoping they would cut back but I was wrong. I couldn't hear Crown's quartet or their beat-nik poet well enough to understand what they were saying. I was outside the 30 and all it was was noise. Seems like something they need to fix, but the judges probably aren't telling them about it because they are on the 50. And last but not least..... All the heat that BAC and Crown are getting..... A large majority of that heat needs to go on the staff of the Colt Cadets. They sang throughout a large portion of their show. They used vocals as much as the other two corps combined! Are we going easy on them because they aren't touring nationally so maybe fewer people know what's going on? Or are we taking it easy on them because of the age range of their membership? I don't get it.

A couple of other items..... Maybe this should go in the Amp Discussion Forum...

BAC has added another line of narration to their show.  I was hoping they would cut back but I was wrong.  I couldn't hear Crown's quartet or their beat-nik poet well enough to understand what they were saying.  I was outside the 30 and all it was was noise.  Seems like something they need to fix, but the judges probably aren't telling them about it because they are on the 50.  And last but not least..... All the heat that BAC and Crown are getting..... A large majority of that heat needs to go on the staff of the Colt Cadets.  They sang throughout a large portion of their show.  They used vocals as much as the other two corps combined!  Are we going easy on them because they aren't touring nationally so maybe fewer people know what's going on?  Or are we taking it easy on them because of the age range of their membership?  I don't get it.

Anyone have any info on the .5 penalty for BAC?

"A large majority of that heat needs to go on the staff of the Colt Cadets. They sang throughout a large portion of their show."

I'm thinking people are letting them slide because they are little kids-- I think the Cadets show would be a lot better if they got rid of the singers, I found them very distracting (and not very good.)