San Antonio Belated

Hello all, I tried to send this in yesterday but my computer would not let me. I have become a new member of DCP after giving up on Soundmachine, so this will be my first post on this website as well.

My wife and I spent the day on Saturday down the road at New Braunfels watching my home team BK rehearse and enjoyed catching up with old friends. More about the corps later. On to the show:

Esperanza-- I did not know what to expect, since I had never seen these uys, and all i can say is that I was in awe. A very well taught corps with an entertaining program. I couldn't help but think of the 99 show whn Pacific Crest came to Texas and all of us in the stands were shocked by how good they were. I had the same feeling about Esperanza. The performance aspects of this corps is what needs polishing now, especially visual wise. A great hornline and a lot of potential. Watch out for these guys in the near future!!

Southwind-- Other than their uniform change i was dissapointed in them. For a few years I had felt they were on the way to being a special corps and a finals contender, but this show was a huge step back for them. The show is honestly pooly written and too hard for the corps. Lots of phasing, and lots of problems in the technique of the corps visually. Playing wise, they have a decent hornline, drumline and gaurd, but, they are not playng with as deep and pretty a sound as i have seen from them in the past.

Troopers-- This was by far the hardest drill and music I haveseen them do in a long time, but they do not have the hornline to pull it off. The drumline is strong, but they simply do not have the players yet in the brass. I think they are on the right track overall.

Capital Regiment-- Wow, did these guys improve over the span of a year!!! They have a hornline and drumline that can flat out play!!! i think what wil keep them from making a serious run at finals is their feet and body technique. It is still rather inconsistant. But this corps is coming and watch out for them this summer and in the next few years!! Well done!!

Seattle-- I have to say that I agree with Micheal's review of SA. This corps is better than the 2002 corps that made finals, but there is something missing. They have an outstanding hornline and drumline, but the show is not connecting with the audience. My wife says that it feels like a hard show that is written for the sake of being hard. i have to say that I enjoyed them, they could be a surprise corps come Denver.

Magic-- Hmmmm. I like the show concept for a great high school band, but not fo a top 12 drum corps. The show is very, very dirty, althought it is obvious that the hornline, drumline and guard are all good. They are good within their own sections, but it is not coming together as a corps! What I mean is that ensemble wise, their are pushes and pulls throughout their show and it never settles in. A friend of mine said the other day that a great corps can still sound and look bad if they have a show that is not well written. I think this is true for them. The players are there, and i know they ahve had problems, but the show is not going to get it done for them!!

Blue Knights-- FOLKS, MY HOME TEAM IS BACK IN A BIG WAY!!! I love this show. It is welll written and oh boy do they have some seriously good players on the field. They are solid in all areas and still have room to grow from a claeaning standpoint. The brass is making lush sounds and after watching them rehearse I know the staff is working hard on control, dark sounds and an overall bleded sound. i expect their impacts will be larger come August, but they are working fundamentals so well!!! i made them comment that i kow that in both my years 97 and 98 we never sounded or looked like they do at this time in the summer. That is both a tribute to how good al the corps have become and the great work that is happening in Denver. If you know or remember anything about their shows the last few years, they have included tidbits of those shows. It is just very well done and i would put money on them being back on Saturday night!!!

Bluecoats-- Man, I don't know what some of the people were smoking when they said this show is not memorable for them. They have the best Bluecoats show I have seen to date. It is good to see them go back t more of a jazzy type show!! But the differnce between them and the Bluecoats corps that weere heavy jazz during the 90's is that these guys are moving so well!! Thes drill, visuals and dancing is awesome. I think they will make a run towards the top6!!!!

Cavaliers-- oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness!!! Did I say oh my goodness!! I didn't know what to expect from them, because after so many years of original music, how do you just say I think we should do James Bond!!! But they pull it off in a huge way. The music is of course pretty reptitve, but you don't even think about that because the design of the show is near flawless. This might be their best playing corps ever and the trumpet section is the best I have ever seen in DCI, no kidding!!! The guard is also the best Cavies guard I have ever seen. Those of you not wanting to see these guys win another world title are goignt to be dissapointed I think as I caanot see this corps and show not being in at least the top2!!!

SCV-- LADIES AND GENTLEMAN OF THE EARTH, SCV HAS THE MOST SPECTACULAR MAN EATER HORNLINE EVER!!!