Belated San Antonio Review

I'm late in writing this, but if any cares to read another opinion about Saturday in San Antonio, read on.

It felt strange only seeing 1/2 the top corps in S.A. this year, as this had previously been the first true headliner show of the summer. Yet, the drama of the first 3 way match up of SCV, Cadets & Cavies was a terrific consolation prize. I had great seats on the 43 or so, about 15 rows up in the upper deck. I had a drum corps novice with me, and got to know a knowledgable Texas band director (who used to march Sky Riders at about the same time I marched Black Gold) & his wife (who was at her first show). I'll try to throw in some of their thoughts too.

Troopers -- I was actually expecting this show to have been cleaned up a bit more musically than it has since I saw them in Enid in June. Visually, the feet are starting to come together for Casper. It'd be nice to see more bodies in the hornline & guard, but it's too late in the summer to worry about that. They have to work with what they have. There are some very nice moments in the show, and they will definitely be a hit in Denver. I'll be there rooting for them, but they are probably headed for a last place finish in Div. I based on what I've seen out of everyone else. All sitting next to me appreciated the nostalgia & the effort, but all agreed with placement.

Southwind -- This corps is coming along very nicely since my June viewings, and I was a little suprised they are not scoring closer to Magic. Musically, this is definitely S/W's most appealing show since 2000. The brass ensemble sound is still rough around the edges, and there is plenty of room to grow. The music from the Mummy is refreshing, and some what reminiscent at times of Magic's Wind & the Lion music - thematically - of 2 summers ago. I like it! Visually, the corps has a lot of work to do to tighten up forms and intervals, as well as feet. The corps should be commended for a big step up since last summer. The pit is particularly enjoyable to listen to. Their is enough dirt left in the corps show overall, that I think this corps still controls their own destiny, in terms of having it in them to make semis if they execute the program. They have a long ways to go to achieve that goal though.

Esperanza -- I was really looking forward to seeing this corps tonight & was not disappointed. Visually, they are clearly superior to Southwind and Magic - and I was glad to see them get rewarded on the judges sheets for that. Musically, they are behind both, and the performance judges agreed there too. This corps has great feet. They are marching very well with a difficult drill in early July. They also have a crisp, energetic color guard, and deserved their 6th in color guard. I liked the "E" to end the drill too. A very nice offering for a first year Div. I corps. I don't seeing them with quite the horses to get to Semis, but you never know!

Magic of Orlando -- You know, while this show is still dirty as HECK, tonight was the first time they started to sell me on the program, so definitely an improvement. Problem is, they look & sound like early June from a performance perspective and it's now almost mid July. I noticed the sash was gone today, and it did make them cleaner. I wonder if the red sash is on it's way back? I hope so - it's a great, clean look for them that I loved. This is a very demanding show, written well above the heads of their youngster corps this year, but if the staff nurtures them appropriately and ensures they have a positive summer, it could yield dividends next year. As for this year, no way are they making Finals, and they aren't safely even in Semis. Depend on how much they can clean. The quality of sound put out by the horn line is a drastic departure from last year. The other biggest drop off is with the feet. Magic had some of the best feet on the field the past 2 summers, and it's hard to get used to seeing what's on the field this summer. Not to take away from these kids, though. They are making good strides of improvement.

Seattle Cascades -- The one placement of the night that none of the 4 in my little crowd agreed with. We all thought Seattle had a better show, and performed better than Capital Regiment. I certainly don't agree with the gap in score, or the fact taht Seattle is behind Cap Reg in Visual GE, Music GE, Visual Ensemble or Brass. Looks like Seattle is getting killed in percussion, and I really can't speak well to that caption - especially in a dome, but really never. I really like the first 9 minutes of Seattle's show. The them of elements of the Northwest is carried off nicely, and the music is accessible, demanding & impressive. The corps is march really well for this point of the season, and I though their forms & blocks were much tighter than Capitol Regiment's. The last piece of the show (the Rutter piece) is just a misfit at this point. The show loses some serious momentum. Either they need to work on a much better transition to this piece to change the mood, or they need to ditch it. Up to that point, I seriously thought I was watching a program with finals potential. Overall, still a very enjoyable show.

Capitol Regiment. -- After 3 viewings of this corps, I will say they are definitely improving. The show sold to me better tonight, at least most of it. It is still a lot of little pieces that don't all necessarily fit into a program very well. The jazzy piece towards the end really just doesn't fit into the flow of the show at all. This corps seems caught in the trap that many corps are finally thankfully getting out of, that of lots of snippets of different things that don't necessarily make for a coherent whole. that said, the show did seem much more effective tonight, and was powered by a confident & strong brass line. The color guard numbers seem to have grown, too, which was good to see. I don't see this as a finals caliber show, though, but they look like they have a great chance to be in the mid to lower part of the 13-17 range.

Blue Knights -- I like this show, I really do! The Blue Knights really took a turn towards a more accessible show this year, although, I actually really liked last year's show too. BK has a strong, powerful horn line that is used well. The white guard outfits (I love the dot reference on them, too) are a great contrast to the corps proper. It will be very interesting to see how BK stacks up to Crossmen, Glassmen & Spirit soon. I think it will be a dog fight to the end for that those last 3 spots, between those 4 corps. My biggest complaint with BK is their corps uniform. It's just too much black. Of course I'm biased, but the only corps who I think has the uniform style to make an all black or almost all-black uniform look GOOD is Regiment. BK's make their drill and visual picture much less enticing, in my opinion.

Bluecoats -- BLOOOOOO! Wow is this show cooking or what? Musically, it's a treat. The horn line is solid, with a nice deep dark sound. At times I wish they were a little louder, but I'm sure that will come. Their ballad is one of the highlights of the year, period. I like the new flags for the ballas too. If the guard keeps cleaning, this group has the chance to be Canton's best guard yet, in my opinion. Visually, 'coats still have a lot of dirt to clean in the drill. Looks like percussion may be the other achilles that keeps this corps from challenging top 6. We'll see. Regardless of where they finish in Denver, this is a fun show that I will really enjoy watching & listening to. The favorite of the night for the Band Director's wife, and 2nd favorite of my novice friend thanks to the energetic, high profile color guard.

SCV -- Wow. This is the drum corps I fell in love with in the late 80s and early 90s, reborn. I wasn't sure where they'd place in the top 3 tonight, but I do believe they have the most depth of program among the top 3 here tonight. Cadets are obviously cleaner, and Cavies are good. I think SCV can pass both, however, if they clean. Color Guard seems to be the weakest section at this point, and their dirt is impacting the CG, Visual Ensemble and GE Visual scores. They came on strong last year at the end in CG, though, and I understand from a fried on staff the color guard show has jsut gone through major changes that they are still getting their arms around. I sure saw a ton of drops tonight, though. Musically, the show is to die for, and Vanguard again has a great drill. The heart, soul and mystique that seemed to be missing from the recent Vanguard is definitely back. Look out for this crew come Finals week!

Cadets -- Hmmm. This may be my least favorite Cadet show since WSS in 1994. To me, it's just kind of "there." There are not a lot of layers, or peaks in valleys in this show. It's all at the same level, and I think that will come back to haunt Cadets if it doesn't change. Musically the show is fun, but not overly fulfilling, if that makes any sense. I guess I'm from the school that wants to emotionally connect with the corps performing for me, and I just don't get that connection with this year's Cadets. I truly think this corps is headed for 4th or 5th this summer. I've been wrong before when it comes to Cadets, though, so take that for what it's worth. They are excellent from a performance perspective, in all captions. The show is like eating a bunch of sweets for dinner, though. It doesn't leave you very satisfied. To me, not enough layers, depth or variety of styles or emotions in this show. We'll see as the season goes forward if that changes. It's like this is a popcorn show, that really doesn't challenge the brain at all. Just my personal preference, and it doesn't work that well for me. I miss the old Cadets that used to move your heart & make you think.

Cavaliers -- Wow, they have really beefed up the visual difficulty of this show. The velocity & demand are intense and impressive. This is likely the most athletic Cavalier show ever. Musically, I love the fact they have opened back up with a big sound again for the first time since 2000. The music is enjoyable. In a way like Cadets though (see above), but not to the same degree. Overall the show is a bit too cheesy for me. I'm not sure if it has the depth or complexity to win. on the other hand, no one will physically outperform them this summer once they clean. So, as usual, my opinion on them is shifting somewhat during the summer as they improve their program. I still don't think they have the "real" ending in though. I much prefer SCV's product this year to Cavaliers. But this show certainly wows the visual senses. It's truly like a summer action flick. Can it hold up at the end with the high drama SCV will bring to Denver? Not sure about that one.

Well, please accept the above for what they are - just my thoughts and feelings on a great night of drum corps. Thanks, SCV, for reminding me of why I fell in love with drum corps in the first place this summer.

Harvey

Nice reviews!! Of course we care! Good job! I personally enjoy reading all the opinions. I agree with some (SCV & Bluecoats) but I respectfully disagree with one (Cavaliers). Cheezy was VK's version of 007 but that's why I liked VK. They we suppose to be cheezy! But hey, like I said, we all have our opinions.

Glad you enjoyed the show!!