Orlando Review-Saturday night

After recovering from some of the shows the previous night I was ready to embark on another journey of some drum corps. I decided not to skip Crown's show and give it a chance. The night remained rainless and muggy, but it was another great night for drum corps. I'm so glad it didn't rain! THANK GOD! Also, I really enjoyed running into some old drum corps friends and meeting some new ones in the stands. Oh and a sidenote on the interviewing technique of that young lady who interviewed Dan Acheson last night, you shouldn't tell the crowd that there were more people in attendance then the night before, even if it's true. Just my thoughts....so Here we go...

HEAT WAVE-We were treated with an exhibition for those of us who got their early enough with Orlando's Heat Wave. Since I last saw them at a "Night of Magic" they have really been cleaning their show. I enjoyed watching them improve, It was me who yelled for my 27 buddies, "Go Val and Dave", if you heard me! :)

Troopers! They are coming to an area close to you soon! If you get a chance to see them go! I enjoyed watching them all march into the stadium together as a corps and not "walk" into the stadium like some do these days, but hey whatever floats your boat. I am glad to see them coming back. I loved the mixing of the old style with the new and it was done nicely. There are some spots still dirty but over all a very moving entertainng show. I got GOOSE BUMPS. :) I'm so happy for them. I also enjoyed their color guard. I felt they should've gotten a higher score and possibly beaten some of the others, but I know what I like. ^OO^ Score 69.45 10th place...don't agree.

Kiwanis Kavaliers-West Side Story- I don't know I have issues with this show, I guess cause it was done over 20 years ago, when I marched. I called this the slower version, for me it was just "there". Yeah, they had their moments and all but there are more musicals out there for you to choose from. Score 73.0 place 9th...

Southwind-The sands show...Hmm...There were alot of intonation problems I noticed coming from the mellophones and this show has highs and low points. It was sort of schizophrenic like-some parts are more dirty in marching and some parts are moving. Color guard is okay.

-Scored 73.45 8th place

Glassmen-This is their typical show, clean stuff and cliche' Blue Devils like color guard. However I remembered at the beginning of the show this guard member has her big moment where she throws it up and she dropped it, also I noticed alot of dropped flags out there as well. They had their "Appalachin Spring" moment, and sheesh How many times does this song need to be played? There are some more things out there to be played. They can march though. It was more entertaining to me then shows in the past. But these are just my opinions...Score 80.075-6th place.

Seattle Cascades-This was my first time seeing them live. I wished they would've played something more interesting cause they have a good hornline with pulsating drums. This show design, "Natures Confessions" or whatever the title is, what does Nature have to confess? :lol: Anyway, I found myself watching where those tympani players would land next in the drill more then anything. I did notice another big color guard moment and she dropped it...the crowd reacts to these things I don't know if they hear it but the crowd sighs when they drop it like that. I see on my notes I have, the horn line can play but what was it? :lol:

Carolina Crown-Okay y'all, I know I said I was going to get a hot dog, but since I gave Boston a fair chance, I gave Crown one as well and I was glad that I did give it a chance so I can say these things. They have such a beautiful sound that sometimes fades away, they were marching incredible last night. I just wish, oh how I wish they would can this ridiculous beatnik poetry reading. Hey, I write poetry but I don't want it to be interpreted to me during a beautiful drum corps show that doesn't warrant it. I begin to cry some because I was so upset with how this (to me) destroyed a perfectly good show. So hey, I was sitting in section 230 by the press box, and guess what guys, you can't hear all of it anyway and it's disturbing to see that guy prancing around out there like he was and being pretentious. Okay, there I said it. Also, the singing, you can't hear it either, they still have problems with their vocal mics; get a sound guy if you're going to do this kind of crap. Next time I'm leaving during that part of the show. OH and a sidenote to Crown people, did you notice that it took a few moments for the crowd to get back into the show after that poetry reading? It just ruins it for me. that Bohemia Rhaposdy, The Queen arrangement was so beautiful and some of the best things I heard all night, why do you want to mess up such a beautiful sounding horn line that can march? Their color guard executed as well. I like the arrangements minus the poetry reading and the singing. I could see some people getting into it more without it as well. Okay, so this one is longer then most, but you knew it would be coming from me! :) Can the poetry and singing...PRETTY PLEASE? Score-85.20 5th place

Bluecoats-They just got right down to some business tonight folks. They came to play and I loved everything about this show. DANG! MMM.MMM.MMM. The drill was so clean and enjoyable to watch and they can play their tails off they also have a great color guard. I really enjoyed them. I don't know what else to say except "BLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"....I know what I like :lol: Score 86.35 4th place smoking!

The Cavaliers-Oh my God, in the words of Homer Simpson...OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH :lol: This was a very rewarding experience for me! :) I don't know what I can say about this show to give it justice, I was just so moved. However, I wonder about the ending because if they stopped at the one point where everyone thinks it's over, people would be pissing in their pants. (Not that they weren't anyway) :) I loved the arrangements of this show and I knew after seeing this drill executed they would break 90 tonight and I was correct. My favorite shows of the two nights were SCV and these guys. The biggest standing o of the night after every section of the show they got standing o's, incredible! How do they keep doing it? Pushing the execution envelope! Wow. Thank you Cavaliers! 90.225 1st place Goosebumps of the night award!

The Cadets 89.30-I didn't see how anyone was going to top that Cavies show and I was right. Although I love the Jethro Tull music and was able to sing along in my head with the corps. Oh and the baton guy experienced some drops tonight, I didn't mind him so much during the show, I can over look him. However during retreat, what was that? I don't think it's right for him to be grandstanding and tossing his rifle around in the middle of the circle during retreat. Anyway, That drum line tonight was HOT. I wasn't too impressed with the drill as much as Cavies, but that's just me. Over all I enjoyed the show. Score 89.30 2nd place.

Phantom Regiment-I loved this color guard they were incredible! The show didn't strike me as a typical "Phantom" show and it looked like they were having execution issues with some of their drill moves. I didn't have any goosebumps from them like I usually do. My husband has heard some Piazolla recordings-very unusual and done on an accordion. Adapting it do corps just made it more bleeps and bloops music to him. However, I don't know, maybe I'll have to see them again to appreciate it. I'm a Phantom fan but not of this particular show. I don't know why. 2nd place 87.125

Over all the Saturday night show for me was the better of the whole groups that performed. I wasn't nearly as bored tonight. I was disappointed in the Crown singing and poetry but other then that a great night for drum corps. Thank you Cavaliers!

Edited by Lancerlady

Your personality comes through in your reviews and I love it! :) Thanks!

btw - I agree, Cavies #1 goosebumps award, Vanguard #2 goosebumps award for this season

Edited by PeeWee

:lol: Thank you for your kind words. You're making me blush.

Steph,

I, for one, am just glad that Saturday night made up for your disappointment Friday.

*Listening to the Cavies right now*

Thanks for such a good review. I am glad you stayed for Crown. I heard the show over the phone and at times especialy after the poetry the cheering was so loud I could not hear. There was laughing at one part of the poetry too (something he said). I am sorry you dislike it so much but I am glad you liked the rest. Thanks for your open and honest oppinion of the show.

Great job,

B~