Orlando 2

So I got to my seat on time this time.

Troopers: Liked the traditional type of show. For their small size, the battery and brass blended well. I could have used more pit sound, but that can come from the type of mallets they're using and how hard they are playing. Too often mallet runs in the pit get drowned out by everyone else. Liked the "taps" ending. Very appropriate for this time.

Kiwanis Kavaliers: West Side Story is a good show for them. Could be some more entertaining elements... then they would be a real crowd pleaser. Maybe they could tell the story in the show a little better. "Cool" is always a favorite.

Southwind: They got the numbers in the brass, but where was the sound? Mediocre show, but the cymbal line is worth taking a look at. I like the new uniforms better than the old "bumble bee" style. A little flashier.

Glassmen: Finally, some one that makes effective use of the colorguard. The start of with black "double" skirts and at a key GE point, reveil the red skirt. Very nice. And very good use of costume changes. Very effective. And good use of the black screens on each side of the pit so that you couldn't see the changes.

Seattle Cascades: Battle of the Three sets of Timpani. One set of four in the pit... one set on a cart right field, back corner, and another set in the left back corner. I did like how they moved them around. But they only solo'd one moving set of timpani once.. They used all three at one point, but you couldn't here them. Different mallets perhaps, or more solos please...

Carolina Crown: I know they used some singing and narration. The singing you couldn't hear. The narration was ok. But did they have the rest of the pit amped? Loved the rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm glad they ended their show with that. People were actually singing or humming in the crowd! But I would have liked a bigger ending. It seemed that everytime I looked, the rifle line was tossing. Great show. A must see.

Bluecoats: Loved that they get you right in the beginning, especially the snare line stick-drop. You really have to watch it close or you miss it. It seemed that there was a lot of running in the drill. That works for me... some nice fast drill. And it wasn't too bad. Some good GE points with the mass colorguard in the triangle.

The Cavaliers: Where's the ending I expect from the Cavies. Especially with this type of show. It seems unfinished. Great music, great drill, what more could you want? MORE ENDING! The amping in the pit was very appropriate. I hope they up the volume for bigger stadium events. It didn't quite reach me like I wanted it to. Especially with the crazy drum break near the end. I need to hear all those crazy sounds. Another note is I noticed the pit player on the left on the cymbal/drumset rack. I understand the need to pulse with the beat, but he played the suspended cymbal with French Grip (thumbs up). I wish he would play normally and lighten up. Its James Bond for goodness' sake. Loosen up a bit.

Cadets: Hmm. Interesting baton twirler. Did get some good moments by the crowd. Except his ending toss that went 20 yards wrong. Oops. The show hasn't really captivated me yet. Nice costume changes though. A little sexuality shown by the girls... letting their hair down, and then ripping open the shirts on the guys. I have always liked their drill. I liked the ending drill with the rotating shining star effect. Tweak a few things and it could be great.

Phantom Regiment: Again I felt that there could have been more of an ending. Maybe I've been spoiled the last two years by their endings. There are quite a few elements from last year that I appreciated, like some mello licks and some drum beats. Bring back the crabbing wedge! They did get into a wedge, but didn't do anything with it. Are they teasing me? 1993 was an awesome year for the crabbing wedge. Their colorguard is always good.

Other thoughts.

Standing O's: I've been thinking about it... that every corps should receive a standing O no matter if you liked the show or not. With the hours of repeating, sweating, and shear physical exertion, they need it. It is what feeds their desire to better the show and perform it again and again. I've been guilty of not standing, but I will give standing O's to EVERY corps in the future. I seem to have forgotten what it was like to rehearse and perform, even though it was only 5 years ago. It's hard work, but its worth it every time. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Some one else mentioned about how the drum line and horn line solo together. For instance the snares with the sops, the tenors with the mellos, and the basses with the baris and contras. They're right in that there is a lot of that going around. I have an idea... why not switch it? Mix it up a bit. That would make some interesting music.

An observation my friend had.... Wouldn't it be cool if a colorguard did a costume change into khakis and a green polo and ran around the field like they were talking into a tape recorder? I think it would be hilarious. Someone needs to come back with a comedy show. Where are the Velvet Knights when you need them?

EMTBill

Troopers:  Liked the traditional type of show.  For their small size, the battery and brass blended well.  I could have used more pit sound, but that can come from the type of mallets they're using and how hard they are playing.  Too often mallet runs in the pit get drowned out by everyone else.  Liked the "taps" ending.  Very appropriate for this time. 

Kiwanis Kavaliers:  West Side Story is a good show for them.  Could be some more entertaining elements... then they would be a real crowd pleaser.  Maybe they could tell the story in the show a little better.  "Cool" is always a favorite.

Southwind:  They got the numbers in the brass, but where was the sound?  Mediocre show, but the cymbal line is worth taking a look at.  I like the new uniforms better than the old "bumble bee" style.  A little flashier.

Glassmen:  Finally, some one that makes effective use of the colorguard.  The start of with black "double" skirts and at a key GE point, reveil the red skirt.  Very nice.  And very good use of costume changes.  Very effective.  And good use of the black screens on each side of the pit so that you couldn't see the changes. 

Seattle Cascades: Battle of the Three sets of Timpani.  One set of four in the pit... one set on a cart right field, back corner, and another set in the left back corner.  I did like how they moved them around. But they only solo'd one moving set of timpani once.. They used all three at one point, but you couldn't here them.  Different mallets perhaps, or more solos please...

Carolina Crown: I know they used some singing and narration.  The singing you couldn't hear.  The narration was ok.  But did they have the rest of the pit amped?  Loved the rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody.  I'm glad they ended their show with that.  People were actually singing or humming in the crowd!  But I would have liked a bigger ending.  It seemed that everytime I looked, the rifle line was tossing.  Great show. A must see.

Bluecoats:  Loved that they get you right in the beginning, especially the snare line stick-drop.  You really have to watch it close or you miss it.  It seemed that there was a lot of running in the drill.  That works for me... some nice fast drill.  And it wasn't too bad.  Some good GE points with the mass colorguard in the triangle. 

The Cavaliers:  Where's the ending I expect from the Cavies.  Especially with this type of show.  It seems unfinished.  Great music, great drill, what more could you want?  MORE ENDING! The amping in the pit was very appropriate.  I hope they up the volume for bigger stadium events.  It didn't quite reach me like I wanted it to. Especially with the crazy drum break near the end.  I need to hear all those crazy sounds.  Another note is I noticed the pit player on the left on the cymbal/drumset rack.  I understand the need to pulse with the beat, but  he played the suspended cymbal with French Grip (thumbs up).  I wish he would play normally and lighten up.  Its James Bond for goodness' sake.  Loosen up a bit.

Cadets:  Hmm.  Interesting baton twirler.  Did get some good moments by the crowd.  Except his ending toss that went 20 yards wrong.  Oops.  The show hasn't really captivated me yet.  Nice costume changes though.  A little sexuality shown by the girls... letting their hair down, and then ripping open the shirts on the guys.  I have always liked their drill.  I liked the ending drill with the rotating shining star effect.  Tweak a few things and it could be great.

Phantom Regiment:  Again I felt that there could have been more of an ending.  Maybe I've been spoiled the last two years by their endings.  There are quite a few elements from last year that I appreciated, like some mello licks and some drum beats.  Bring back the crabbing wedge!  They did get into a wedge, but didn't do anything with it.  Are they teasing me?  1993 was an awesome year for the crabbing wedge.  Their colorguard is always good. 

Other thoughts.

Standing O's:  I've been thinking about it... that every corps should receive a standing O no matter if you liked the show or not.  With the hours of repeating, sweating, and shear physical exertion, they need it.  It is what feeds their desire to better the show and perform it again and again.  I've been guilty of not standing, but I will give standing O's to EVERY corps in the future.  I seem to have forgotten what it was like to rehearse and perform, even though it was only 5 years ago.  It's hard work, but its worth it every time.  I would do it again in a heart beat.

Some one else mentioned about how the drum line and horn line solo together. For instance the snares with the sops, the tenors with the mellos, and the basses with the baris and contras.  They're right in that there is a lot of that going around.  I have an idea... why not switch it?  Mix it up a bit.  That would make some interesting music. 

An observation my friend had.... Wouldn't it be cool if a colorguard did a costume change into khakis and a green polo and ran around the field like they were talking into a tape recorder?  I think it would be hilarious.  Someone needs to come back with a comedy show.  Where are the Velvet Knights when you need them?

EMTBill

Troopers:  Liked the traditional type of show.  For their small size, the battery and brass blended well.  I could have used more pit sound, but that can come from the type of mallets they're using and how hard they are playing.  Too often mallet runs in the pit get drowned out by everyone else.  Liked the "taps" ending.  Very appropriate for this time. 

Kiwanis Kavaliers:  West Side Story is a good show for them.  Could be some more entertaining elements... then they would be a real crowd pleaser.  Maybe they could tell the story in the show a little better.  "Cool" is always a favorite.

Southwind:  They got the numbers in the brass, but where was the sound?  Mediocre show, but the cymbal line is worth taking a look at.  I like the new uniforms better than the old "bumble bee" style.  A little flashier.

Glassmen:  Finally, some one that makes effective use of the colorguard.  The start of with black "double" skirts and at a key GE point, reveil the red skirt.  Very nice.  And very good use of costume changes.  Very effective.  And good use of the black screens on each side of the pit so that you couldn't see the changes. 

Seattle Cascades: Battle of the Three sets of Timpani.  One set of four in the pit... one set on a cart right field, back corner, and another set in the left back corner.  I did like how they moved them around. But they only solo'd one moving set of timpani once.. They used all three at one point, but you couldn't here them.  Different mallets perhaps, or more solos please...

Carolina Crown: I know they used some singing and narration.  The singing you couldn't hear.  The narration was ok.  But did they have the rest of the pit amped?  Loved the rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody.  I'm glad they ended their show with that.  People were actually singing or humming in the crowd!  But I would have liked a bigger ending.  It seemed that everytime I looked, the rifle line was tossing.  Great show. A must see.

Bluecoats:  Loved that they get you right in the beginning, especially the snare line stick-drop.  You really have to watch it close or you miss it.  It seemed that there was a lot of running in the drill.  That works for me... some nice fast drill.  And it wasn't too bad.  Some good GE points with the mass colorguard in the triangle. 

The Cavaliers:  Where's the ending I expect from the Cavies.  Especially with this type of show.  It seems unfinished.  Great music, great drill, what more could you want?  MORE ENDING! The amping in the pit was very appropriate.  I hope they up the volume for bigger stadium events.  It didn't quite reach me like I wanted it to. Especially with the crazy drum break near the end.  I need to hear all those crazy sounds.  Another note is I noticed the pit player on the left on the cymbal/drumset rack.  I understand the need to pulse with the beat, but  he played the suspended cymbal with French Grip (thumbs up).  I wish he would play normally and lighten up.  Its James Bond for goodness' sake.  Loosen up a bit.

Cadets:  Hmm.  Interesting baton twirler.  Did get some good moments by the crowd.  Except his ending toss that went 20 yards wrong.  Oops.  The show hasn't really captivated me yet.  Nice costume changes though.  A little sexuality shown by the girls... letting their hair down, and then ripping open the shirts on the guys.  I have always liked their drill.  I liked the ending drill with the rotating shining star effect.  Tweak a few things and it could be great.

Phantom Regiment:  Again I felt that there could have been more of an ending.  Maybe I've been spoiled the last two years by their endings.  There are quite a few elements from last year that I appreciated, like some mello licks and some drum beats.  Bring back the crabbing wedge!  They did get into a wedge, but didn't do anything with it.  Are they teasing me?  1993 was an awesome year for the crabbing wedge.  Their colorguard is always good. 

Other thoughts.

Standing O's:  I've been thinking about it... that every corps should receive a standing O no matter if you liked the show or not.  With the hours of repeating, sweating, and shear physical exertion, they need it.  It is what feeds their desire to better the show and perform it again and again.  I've been guilty of not standing, but I will give standing O's to EVERY corps in the future.  I seem to have forgotten what it was like to rehearse and perform, even though it was only 5 years ago.  It's hard work, but its worth it every time.  I would do it again in a heart beat.

Some one else mentioned about how the drum line and horn line solo together. For instance the snares with the sops, the tenors with the mellos, and the basses with the baris and contras.  They're right in that there is a lot of that going around.  I have an idea... why not switch it?  Mix it up a bit.  That would make some interesting music. 

An observation my friend had.... Wouldn't it be cool if a colorguard did a costume change into khakis and a green polo and ran around the field like they were talking into a tape recorder?  I think it would be hilarious.  Someone needs to come back with a comedy show.  Where are the Velvet Knights when you need them?

EMTBill

Ever think that the Pit player for The Cavaliers is playing like he was told by the techs? I know he is, he is my son. I will ask him about it next time I talk to him. He is a rookie, so he is learning all the time and would appreciate any suggestions, I am sure. The Cavies have not put their ending in yet. Wait, it is coming. I like your comments on all the corps. I pretty much agree with you.

Art lady