Warrenton anyone?

Well, geez. I'ts been 3 days since the show. Since then, I've nearly had my eardrums explode on my flight back home due to a nasty sinus infection I developed, so my memory is somewheat hazy. I'm only going to provide deneral impressions of a few of the corps.

First off, this place was really out in the middle of nowhere, which was about 50 miles from D.C. The stadium was built into the side of a hill, and all the souvenir trucks had to drive up a pretty steep incline just to get their trucks and trailers to the field behind the stadium. The backfield stand MIGHT have had 200 seats, and trees surrounded the entire field. The lighting was pretty dull, almost to the point of being dark. It was most evident when the Crossmen where on the field. Kudos goes to Outback Steakhouse, who provided meals to every kid in every corps. (Not steaks, but burgers.) The high school band that sponsored this show really did a good job. They provided door prizes, had a raffle for cash, and the kids themselves roamed the stands the entire night hawking concessions.

Court of Honor really impressed me and entertained me. My vantage point was 8 rows up on the 46 yard line, so I was able to really see the faces of the kids. This is a very young corps (or is it that I'm really getting older?). Anyway, they appeared really young, and performed well. I recall one really humorous moment in the show that I won't reveal so that I won't spoil it for others who haven't yet seen them.

I had seen Magic 2 weeks previous, so I was really surprised that there hadn't been done much to clean their show visually. It's still an entertaining show, though. They need to put the silver sash back on their uniform.

Going into the show, I was surprised to learn from one of the Crossmen member's mother that the Crossmen had been, up to that point, being outscored by both Blue Knights and Spirit. She informed me that, they had made some significant changes over the week leading up to Orlando. Whatever changes they made were evident in Warrenton. I thought they were terrific. The brass nearly blew me away.

Cadets - Of all the corps that I've seen this summer (Cavaliers, Cadets, Bluecoats, Crossmen, Blue Knights, Spirit, Seattle Cascades, Capital Regiment, Southwind, Magic, Troopers, Kiwanis Kavaliers and Court of Honor), this was the only corps where the amps actually made an impact on me. I know that other corps use them, but they were pretty much non-existent and didn't have an impact on my listening pleasure. The amps for The Cadets were, to me, overbearing. They're also unnecessary. As for the baton twirler, I reserved judgement until I saw it for myself in the show. In my opinion, a baton twirler doesn't belong in a drum corps show. If he's that good a twirler, show off his talents with a rifle or a sabre - NOT a baton. It was too marching band-ish for me, and also somewhat distracting. That being said, the corps put on a good performance. There were some performance issues within the brass line. For instance, a contra player really nailed one impact, however, it was a split second before the rest of the hornline. Plus, it was right in front of George's face, as he stalked the sideline during their entire performance.