South Milwaukee Note from Contest Program

The old stadium is sorta small, with the Middle School right behind the stands.  Instead of using the press box, many judges stand on the roof of the school to get a better vantage point.  The walls behind the stands keep the sound in the stadium so shows always sound extra powerful!

I chatted with the show sponsor at the post show Senior Palooza and he was elated with this year's show.  The stands were full, and he made money!  He LOVED having all of the Midwest Seniors, and from the sounds of it, he wants to do it again next year.  Next year's show will be in the new high school stadium that is being built this summer.  The new stadium should be more easily accessable for both the corps and the fans.  It should be good.

J.C.

More old S Mil memories from the 60's: I recall that the "concert side" used to be on the side away from the school. The GE judges were on platforms right on top of the sidelines. In '68, I managed to score a spot on the sideline right under 1 of the platforms. Des Plaines Vanguard's mello soloist was very cool---after he finished his solo in "Mercy Mercy", right in front of the platform, he spun his horn down, looked right up at the judge, gave him a big smile, and pointed at him, like "how's that?". Pretty radical for the 60's. I also remember the Kilties placing low that night due to some sort of flag code penalty, which they contested. After the show's over, everyone's walking away from the stadium, and we can hear the Kilties on the field, still in uniform, performing part of their show for the judges to prove the penalty was bogus. What a year...