South Milwaukee Note from Contest Program

Saw the following in the program notes in the contest program for last night's Spectacle that some might find interesting. Writing about the Spectacle City Mariners, the article stated, "In 1966, the Small Corps won the Junior All American National Championship in Chicago and the full corps went on to win the 1967 VFW National Championship in New Orleans."

Someone call the Cavaliers to send that trophy to South Milwaukee!!

Seriously, the progam had some GREAT pictures of competing units from past shoes, including the Mariners, the California Dons Drill Team, whose basic uniform design was copied by the Mariners(substituting the nautical for the Spanish theme), the Royal Airs from the early '60s and the 1961 Cavaliers. Quite a walk down memory lane for a show with a storied past. Most folks today wouldn't realize what a big show this used to be. A full color guard show, a drill team competition, a concert band competition, a parade, a field competition for bands and a corps show that was so big that they had to hold a prelims competition for the top ten finalists. And this was just a local show in South Milwaukee!!

Jim - many thanks for bringing up South Milwaukee - lots of fond memories there - so am I to assume that there is no longer any drum corps or band competitions or parades there anymore?

:blink:

Rob:

From what I was told this weekend, they will be taking down the stadium at So. Milwaukee. The show on Saturday was a fitting end to such a historic facility.

I will miss the place.

Pat

How sad - thanks for the info, Pat!

Was recently listening to a Dale Johnson CD of 70 North American Championships (Cavvies, SCV, GARFIELD Cadets, De La Salle Oaklands, Madison Scouts, Kilts) - believe it was recorded at that old stadium!

How sad - thanks for the info, Pat! 

Was recently listening to a Dale Johnson CD of 70 North American Championships (Cavvies, SCV, GARFIELD Cadets, De La Salle Oaklands, Madison Scouts, Kilts) - believe it was recorded at that old stadium!

No, '70 North American Championships was at Marquette Stadium. That stadium was torn down years ago.

I have that CD too. SCV, aaaahhhh!

...From what I was told this weekend, they will be taking down the stadium at So. Milwaukee.  The show on Saturday was a fitting end to such a historic facility.

I will miss the place.

Pat

The old stadium is sorta small, with the Middle School right behind the stands. Instead of using the press box, many judges stand on the roof of the school to get a better vantage point. The walls behind the stands keep the sound in the stadium so shows always sound extra powerful!

I chatted with the show sponsor at the post show Senior Palooza and he was elated with this year's show. The stands were full, and he made money! He LOVED having all of the Midwest Seniors, and from the sounds of it, he wants to do it again next year. Next year's show will be in the new high school stadium that is being built this summer. The new stadium should be more easily accessable for both the corps and the fans. It should be good.

J.C.

No, '70 North American Championships was at Marquette Stadium.  That stadium was torn down years ago.

I have that CD too.  SCV, aaaahhhh!

Yeah...but you can't beat "White Rabbit"! :P

Which concert was Garfield playing, if you remember...

The hideous "Paint Your Wagon" medley

or the less hideous Beatle's medley ("Day Tripper" and 'Paperback Writer" I think)

Our concert entrance was a Brazilain tune phonetically sounded like Lie-uh la Die-uh. Spelled something close to "Laia la Daia"...one announcer called it "Lay a Lady".

...she was sure no lady if THAT happened! :P

My folks told me that when that happened you could see all of our plumes bouncing as we stood on the starting line trying not to laugh (opened with a company front across the field to Gounod's "Queen of Sheba").

Mike

Yeah...but you can't beat "White Rabbit"!  :P

Which concert was Garfield playing, if you remember...

The hideous "Paint Your Wagon" medley

or the less hideous Beatle's medley ("Day Tripper" and 'Paperback Writer" I think)

Our concert entrance was a Brazilain tune phonetically sounded like Lie-uh la Die-uh. Spelled something close to "Laia la Daia"...one announcer called it "Lay a Lady".

...she was sure no lady if THAT happened!  :P

My folks told me that when that happened you could see all of our plumes bouncing as we stood on the starting line trying not to laugh (opened with a company front across the field to Gounod's "Queen of Sheba").

Mike

It was Day Tripper.