General Review Views

"Cavies - 93.6 my 2nd viewing. To truely enjoy this show, you must see it from

a high perspective. On my first viewing, where I was seated rather low, I was

saying this just isn't a typical Mike Gaines drill....WRONG. The drill is once again,

the trend setter in all of DCI. No one in the past few years has equalled the Cavies

in terms of coming up with great "pictures" and unbelievables ways to get there.

2004 is no different. The velocity and range of movement is incredible. It's almost

as if Mike Gaines opperates under the assumption of "If I can think it, they can march it".

Even with FOUR marchers taking falls at different times, thanks to quick recoveries,

the corps just kept it coming. I do believe the field was somewhat wet and with this

drill, falls are going to happen in those conditions.

Although it's hard to get past the visual aspects of the drill and equally visual color

guard, you also realize THESE GUYS CAN PLAY! Although I was a fan of the original

works of R. Saucedo the past couple of years, it is really great to hear what has

been done with the music of Bond."

oldbandguy

"Cavies - Their show was fairly good. The hornline sounds really nice this year, with moment of loudness and softness. I enjoyed a lot of different things about their show except for the thing that they has excelled in in the past: their drill. I just wasn't awe'd about it. It didn't have any distinct moments about it, like the ones that existed in frameworks or spin cycle. It just kind of seemed like they flew around the field for the whole show. I liked their guard though. They do some pretty neat stuff with the flags. The one thing that concerns me though is that they still have a guard member hanging out in the end zone. I was just wondering what is going on with that. They have like 2 weeks left in the season and they can't fit him in somewhere other then the very end of the show? "

dimstint

"Cavaliers are so incredibly good that it is mind boggling. I love their drill. Their music has NOT a dull moment, and the show just captivates you. It is one big GE Festival. Should win DCI hands down IMO. I honestly thought they might have beaten SCV by 2.5 tonight. Only weak spot for Cavies is some dirt in the marching in the opener, and a lot of dirt in the closer. Also, the drill is just fantastic at the end, but the music doesn't have that drive to the end that is needed to really get the crowd on their feet. Soloists were very good tonight. They had a few horn players fall, but recover quickly. "

Jonathan Willis

This is not a critisizm of any of the three posters but I find it very interesting that three people at the same show can have entirely different experiences. A great example of "you can't please everyone".

Again not knocking any of the posters. just an interesting observation. At least for me it is.

Edited by dc oldtimer

Actually I think my review of the Cavies (if you qoute the entire thing) and

that of J. Willis is VERY similar.  We both raved about the drill, the great music,

great guard work, concerns with the ending of the show, and both predict

Cavies will win it all.

The only reason why I quoted both is that one seemed a bit more enthusiastic than the other. But again, I am not criticizing... just an observation. This just serves as a reminder to everyone not to take any criticism of a corps to heart. Different strokes for different folks. Being a Cavalier FMM/fan I didn't take dimstint's remarks as a knock. It obviously was not his "cup of tea" as many posters say when a show just doesn't knock them over. Which is fine of course. He said it in a nice way and was respectful of others that may have different views.

(BTW, I am pretty sure the lone guard member is an alternate. Rather than sit in the stands in street clothes, he is at least on the field in uniform. But, I may be wrong. He also may be injured.)

Edited by dc oldtimer