1976 Madison Scouts

Just got an mp3 of it from a friend. OMG it was putrid!!!

Maynard's Shaft, Pick Up the Pieces, a 3:30 minute version of Macs Park, Mahogany. Oh the humanity!

That Scouts jettisoned that show, re-learned quite a bit of 75's and added a new opener AND ended up 2nd is a testament to their determination.

The effects of that crazy season fell onto my 1st year 1977. Almost the whole staff gone, and a ton of experienced horn players burned out and didnt return. The good news was they came back in 78 and THAT was a great year.

It is a must listen!

Dan,

I was at the Milwaukee show early in '76 and heard the Scouts. I remember Shaft, and Pick up the Pieces and the soprano player that made the "bird" sounds. That show was unique (I'm being nice). And I still wanted to be in the Scouts after seeing that.

Hey I thought we had a real good horn line in '77. Not a lot of screamers but solid. I recently took a look at the '77 recap. Horns and drums were right up there with BD. It was MM and GE that did us in.

Bob

Things could be worse. We used to have the GE percussion and brass tapes from the prelims performance of the 1976 Kilties. Dr. Baggs was really pretty nice, but he was imploring the corps to play out more. Right after the final push in "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" he exclaimed, "Now the Kilties are being the Kilties." Then there's the GE percussion tape with Cosmo Barbaro. Complete silence during Knightbridge March, the opener, then, "What can I say? The tune sucks!"

Just got an mp3 of it from a friend.  OMG it was putrid!!! 

Maynard's Shaft, Pick Up the Pieces, a 3:30 minute version of Macs Park, Mahogany.  Oh the humanity!

That Scouts jettisoned that show, re-learned quite a bit of 75's and added a new opener AND ended up 2nd is a testament to their determination.

The effects of that crazy season fell onto my 1st year 1977.  Almost the whole staff gone, and a ton of experienced horn players burned out and didnt return.  The good news was they came back in 78 and THAT was a great year.

It is a must listen!

:whistle:

Dan'l:

You must bring a copy of this to Scranton..I never got to see or hear the 1st show, and according to 76-77 alum "Iggy" Bob Simons(French horn -76, sop -77)

the Drum Beauty show in Stillwater was the 1st show out for the "2nd show".

I was certainly blown away with that version, and I agree, coming back to finish 2nd was amazing. The Iwo Jima flag plant at the end of Stars & Stripes was enough to get 5 points in GE alone!

The 77 show was a crank!..Just as loud as 76, just smaller. I rest my case with 78, you guys just never got a break, especially with that unreal drum line and guard.

Pat

Dan,

I was at the Milwaukee show early in '76 and heard the Scouts.  I remember Shaft, and Pick up the Pieces and the soprano player that made the "bird" sounds.  That show was unique (I'm being nice).  And I still wanted to be in the Scouts after seeing that.

Hey I thought we had a real good horn line in '77.  Not a lot of screamers but solid. I recently took a look at the '77 recap.  Horns and drums were right up there with BD. It was MM and GE that did us in.

Bob

Bob,

77 wasnt bad, but It could have been fantastic!

. I remember Shaft, and Pick up the Pieces and the soprano player that made the "bird" sounds. That show was unique (I'm being nice). And I still wanted to be in the Scouts after seeing that.

I just listen to it and ummm...awwww..it was a good thing they scrapped it.

man O man. A Lot of burn out after that year.. I loved 77's show so I marched 1978. Many people who didnt march 77 came back and boy did we have some fun.