No Finals Review From Me...

Okay, even though I was at the show, there was too much that I had to go through to even attempt a review.

1) My first finals experience ever. I was so in the whole mood and was just awestruck by the massiveness of it all. Totally different than the first show that I saw ten days before that.

2) Things got to be a little long and I'll completely admit that my mind wasn't very clear after seeing Phantom...(I'll explain later :P )

3) I had only seen two of the corps that performed that night, the Cavies and Phantom Regiment.

Okay, I do have some little things to say and this was probably the most appropriate thread for it.

(A lot of this is just recollection and is out of order, deal with it!)

Wow, I was so amazed in the first half. My eyes were all over the place on the drill. It's hard to train my eye seeing shows. I've been in marching band for a year now (currently working on year two) and even then, you don't see shows. I've come to the conclusion that you need to see a corps or band numerous times to get the whole feel. Now, that didn't mean that finals were enjoyable to me. That's probably why I was so in love with Phantom that night. They are my classy, professional corps and the one corps that I knew their music and was actually singing along. I knew when their little visuals occured and that helped me appreciate them that much more.

Magic had a very pleasant show! I believe they were the corps that had the horns move back and forth from each endzone/sideline, creating a sweeping effect that was really cool. They played it fairly loud and it was recieved extremly well. The Cavies were the only other corps that did something like that but it was more of a rippled/wave effect under a very controlled and wonderful sound (not that Magic wasn't controlled, they were just completely different).

The Cadets show didn't do it for me. I know they were telling a story and that was the whole theme of the show was shown very well, but it was almost too theatrical (I mean, changing from your underwear wasn't completely necessary, but I know it was the whole changing from a normal human being to a warrior...but it was too distasteful in my eyes). I loved their music that was the one thing that was enjoyable to me.

Santa Clara looked like Christmas trees but they had a very complex show drillwise and they grew on me as the show progressed. I probably would've liked it better if I understood that the first sketch was triangles, then circles, then diamonds. Their guard had some amazing things (the big velvet/royal blue flags that just glistened!) except for the one diamond things.

Blue Devils were rocking and I loved them. (Playing a Blue Devilish show this year in band!)

Cavies are simply amazing. Now if only they had some really great music. Great theme and that was excecuted wonderfully (I mean, they were pretty much near perfect).

I just can't recall too much in the first half. That was another realization that I was AT FINALS and that I was seeing the top 12 corps. I can assure you that no one disappointed me too much (I say too much, however!).

Now I'm marching in high school and working on getting in a corps for next year... (betcha can't guess)