Drum Line competition in Japan

drumlinetchr

I am looking to start up drumline competitions in Japan but have no idea how to get started. I am currently instructing (alone) the only American (DOD) high school marching band line, but they have no drive because there is no one to compete against. If anyone knows about drumline competitions in Japan, please let me know. These kids are dedicated to preform, but are limited to half time shows at football games.

There are other lines out there. The one off the top of my head would be Aimachi.

I'm also looking at photos from Utachinaka City Junior High School at the All Japan Marching band Contest.

Then there's the little kodomo drumlines (oh, arn't they cute ^_^ and good :rolleyes: )

There's another group too, an older one, that I'm trying to find a picture of, can't figure out which book they're in though.

But, you're not going find onything like WGI I don't think. I'm looking through all my Marching Express21 magazines and am finding nothing.

Edited by bari_benzo

There 're a lot of great marching bands and people in Japan, Aimachi, Soka Reneisance for example. Why don't you make an aliance with other school 's line and form a small compettition. I 'm sure that if you are looking for a copettition of drum line, many line will be interrested to join. In the first 2-3 years, it may be a small event, but with Japan marching standart, it will grow very fast in the future. I don't know much about your context but I think it 's easier to do compare it to Thailand.

good luck

hmm that is really interesting.

it seems like you need to make a entry to the

"all japan marching&baton stage contest".

you guys are located in yokohama right?

there are inspires, robins, scouts, and

a lot of great high school marching bands in kanagawa.

why don't you talk to them into it?

also if you want to compete,

you guys should start practicing with the metric system. :P

• 3 months later...
I am looking to start up drumline competitions in Japan but have no idea how to get started.  I am currently instructing (alone) the only American (DOD) high school marching band line, but they have no drive because there is no one to compete against.  If anyone knows about drumline competitions in Japan, please let me know.  These kids are dedicated to preform, but are limited to half time shows at football games.

I attended Nile C Kinnick. Class of 73 and I'm the director at Yamato Drum and Bugle Corps. I have a friend who is on the board with the All Japan Marching Band & Baton Twirling KANTO Association. His name is Yasuo Morimoto and speaks exellent English. I would suggest you send him an email at mbkanto@m-bkanto.org to see if the Kanto Association would be interested in hosting a drumline competitiion or festival in the very near future. Even if the association isn't interested, Mr. Morimoto knows alot of people who might be.

• 6 months later...
I attended Nile C Kinnick. Class of 73 and I'm the director at Yamato Drum and Bugle Corps.  I have a friend who is on the board with the All Japan Marching Band & Baton Twirling KANTO Association.  His name is Yasuo Morimoto and speaks exellent English. I would suggest you send him an email at mbkanto@m-bkanto.org to see if the Kanto Association would be interested in hosting a drumline competitiion or festival in the very near future.  Even if the association isn't interested, Mr. Morimoto knows alot of people who might be.

Thank-you Mr. Martin, I have emailed him and I'm looking forward to his reply. Did Kinnick have a marching band when you attended? We just purched new uniforms this year, and the kids are really excited. I just wish I could talk them into marching in a drum corps on the off season.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank-you Mr. Martin, I have emailed him and I'm looking forward to his reply.  Did Kinnick have a marching band when you attended?  We just purched new uniforms this year, and the kids are really excited.  I just wish I could talk them into marching in a drum corps on the off season.

You're welcome. Yes, there was a marching band at YOHI when I was there. Halftime shows mostly. Unfortunately nothing competitive. Congrats on the new uniforms! All we wore were white pants and red shirts we called disco shirts.

I trust Mr. Morimoto will get back to you soon.

Best regards,

Ed Martin

Director - Yamato Drum and Bugle Corps