Instructor's Forum

I work as a consultant with many arts programs throughout the US. THe biggest topic is how to make limited resources work. Here are some things I discovered......

1. You have to be anal and detailed in how you spend the money. Many guard instructors/designers OVER ORDER things (silk, costume pieces, etc). Measure everything to the penny.

2. Plan ahead, if I design or teach for a fall guard I wonder what silks I can use for winter, costume pieces that I may be able to recycle (in a different circuit or area so that they don't get seen too much). I always keep one season ahead (fall marching band during drum corps, winter guard during marching band, drum corps during wg) so that I can plan effectively. And look for other programs willing to sell equipment at a lesser price.

3. Use your equipment, etc as assets and resources - SELL SELL SELL......like I said in #2 there are programs willing to buy your used silks!

4. Make costumes instead of buying (you can piece together a GREAT costume and get more for your $) check out my designs at www.sandiegoalliance.org, each costume is quite detailed and costs under $90 each.

4. ASK FOR MONEY! Develop a corporate sponsorship program for local business support. Even $100 from 10 businesses is $1000 (and that is a lot of silk and a can be 10 costumes). If you want more info on this I can help email me at cc_dancer@hotmail.com. But a part of this is scheduling and planning for events that showcase you in your community.

5. ASK FOR MONEY! Find a parent out there who is willing to write grants for free money - money for arts programs (ESPECIALLY THOSE DEAILING WITH EDUCATION< COMMUNITY SUPPORT, YOUTH) is out there you just have to find it.

6. MARKET YOUR PROGRAM - what is this activity we are talking about?!?!? A YOUTH ARTS PROGRAM THE BUILDS INTO AND IMPROVES THE LIVES OF KIDS IN "OUR" COMMUNITY. For independent groups, be willing to recruit from big brothers/big sisters, foster parent associations, etc.......be willing to build into the life of a child who needs an activity like this - GREAT for grants too!

Here are some great resources for saving money on equipment :

1. Postle Distribution in Elkhart, Indiana - you can get flag poles cut to any size you want and they average $5-7 each.

If anyone has questions feel free to email me cc_dancer@hotmail.com

Question for instructors out there: do you write for the judges or write for the music and what you visualize when you hear the music?

I know I definitely write for the music. Music has so much to offer if you really listen and attempt to understand it. I'm already at work on two shows, visualizing formations and effects that the music sparks in me.

My unit has money for equipment, but we are 3.5 hours away from the local circuit, so we are limited in what we can bring. Therefore, no props or floor since we have no trailer and no funds for a bus. These limitations are great motivators for me to be original in my designs, since I can't depend on props and a floor to help with the show. It also helps that I never participated in winterguard before, so I am not locked into any style of show design.

So far, I have no members displaying a great capacity for writing drill and choreography. Hopefully that will change by allowing them a chance to write parts of the show, or offer creative input.

A question about music selection. I am all for having member input into what they wear and what they perform too. However, I am much more creative with instrumental pieces versus songs. I want my members to enjoy what they perform too, but my fear is that they'll want to perform to pop music which doesn't spark much in me. I got by this last season by using a mix from Moulin Rouge. Since it takes time to develop a design for a show concept, how amendable should an instructor be with the show design if the members dislike or are disinterested in the selection?

I suppose I should ask when instructors conceive their show designs. When does a show concept begin to take form for instructors?

Unlike Malibu, where she and company make up the work for their guards, we, the members of the I.C guard and then the 27th guard made up their own work. We began doing it fully by 1977. Zingali could ask for a flip at this point or an explosion for this point, but other than that, it was hands off right up until about 81.........Not all of us mind you but a few made up 95%.

Do many of you have creative members, or are they just beginning, and by the time they are seniors or however that works, their creative juices begin to flow.

I mean it does help if you know how to handle the equipment to be able to create, but it ain't rocket science.....

I know what you mean LancerFi......when I was captain for my high school color guard, I made up all the work for flags and most for the rifle line. The very next year I was asked back as their "first" full time instructor. I've lost count on how many groups I have worked with over the years.

Yes, I have had some very "creative" members who go on to march drum corps and come back to help tech or teach. You know a couple of those individuals.

Yes I do, and they are very talented!

I just wasn't sure how many instructors were open to the talent they see. Some people in charge want to be in charge with no help from members. Of course I would think those people are far and few between on this forum.

It seems like people on here wouldn't mind sharing their ideas as well as taking help from a newcomer who happens to be very talented....

Sometimes it actually looks and seems more difficult than rocket science. I see what Malibu goes through during camps and 10-12 hour days....have to give you a lot of credit let me tell you.

All of you who are giving back! You know what I think about teaching Malibu...after teaching the Lancer Cadets....oh boy. I just tend to expect too much!

Edited by LancerFi

• 3 weeks later...

This may seem a little backwards but for me money is the very first consideration. For example, no money for real uniforms might mean that I choose a piece of music and write a show that fits jeans or bermuda shorts or I-don't-know-what kind of ordinary/easily attainable clothing. Money also dictates how much equipment you can write into the show ... how many flagpoles/rifles do you own, how many equipment changes, silk changes, etc can you write in. I recycle everything the guard has and keep everything as we go and I've borrowed equipment too (thanks Stu!) to get through. Money is a BIG deal in a poor school district. We do various fund raisers ... cookie dough, pizza, candy, etc. and the kids are responsible for "dues" but fundraising is HARD WORK for very little profit. The budget comes first, then the creative stuff.