Aussie hats

A recent photo added to Munson Chan's Scrapbook of California Drum Corps

http://mellom007.tripod.com/Scrapbook2001/scrapbook.html

featured an old picture of The Lakewood, CA, Ambassadors wearing Aussie hats with plumes, which begs the question:

Who was the first drum corps, senior or junior, to wear this type of headgear?

I have a few guesses that I'll keep to myself right now, but who do you all think it was?

RON HOUSLEY

Anaheim 67

Edited by ffernbus3

A recent photo added to Munson Chan's Scrapbook of California Drum Corps

http://mellom007.tripod.com/Scrapbook2001/scrapbook.html

featured an old picture of The Lakewood, CA, Ambassadors wearing Aussie hats with plumes, which begs the question:

Who was the first drum corps, senior or junior, to wear this type of headgear? 

I have a few guesses that I'll keep to myself right now, but who do you all think it was?

RON HOUSLEY

Anaheim 67

"A Few First Aussies":

The Garfield Cadets had "Aussies" in 1958 & 1959, the first two years after being dumped by Holy Name Parish. They wore short sleeve shirts and bermudas, knee-hi socks and white bucks. The "Garfield" uniform was reintroduced in 1960.

St Raphaels Buccaneers of Brideport Ct went to "Aussies" (with plumes) in 1959, and a cross town rival, the Connecticut Royal Lancers used them from 1962 on. The Racine Scouts wore white "Aussies" with their Scout uniforms in 1962 & 1963.

The Audubon Bon Bons & St Catherines Marionettes 'All Girls' corps wore a 'cowgirl' type of hat, introduced in the mid 1950s.

The Reading Buccaneers had an "Aussie Style" pirates hat, complete with plume in 1960.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Pretty good! I was thinking Reading Bucs and Preston Scout House as early examples....didja see the old Holy Name picture that was on ebay recently?

The Lakewood Ambassadors picture mentioned above would have been around the late 50s and early 60s...before 1963, that much I know, and I'm waiting for an old Ambassador-turned-Fresno Fern to give me a date for when the picture was taken aboard the USS Hornet, as I know he wore both hat and uniform in question.

Munson had asked me to verify the authenticity of this picture as he couldn't remember Lakewood wearing the Aussie headgear....I'd never seen it either until "D.C." sent me a pic of him wearing one at an early snare individuals comp.

RON HOUSLEY

Yup! You're right! Doremus Post is wearing Aussie hats. That's probably the oldest so far.

And speaking of all-girl corps: The Senoritas, a SoCal corps, wore flat, Hawthorne-style hats. Being a earlier West coast corps, they never got as much recognition as their more famous sisters like Bon-Bons. The Bandettes are more well known now than The Senoritas were in their prime......us local boys loved them, sometimes literally.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3