Cavaliers Brass DVD

pitn0926

I was just checking out the Cavie's updated website when I noticed that they have a new brass technique DVD available (a la BD's "Dynasty of Brass"). I was wondering if anybody has seen it yet and could give me some feedback. Is it as good as Wayne Downey's? Does it have some different stuff in it to make it worth the $55 since I already have the BD DVD?

I've seen chunks of it. It's not a show off DVD. It's an educational DVD that explains the Cavaliers philosophies and how they can be applied to drum corps, wind ensemble, small ensemble etc...It's worth the 55 bucks if you ask me.

Full commentary from the Caption Heads, Mark McGahey and David Bertman.

Thanks for the info! What's great is instead of me shelling out the 55 bucks, I convinced the band director I work for to buy it for the band.

• 4 weeks later...

The Cavaliers Brass DVD is a useful tool for any music educator. Being from Texas, this DVD served as a reminder of what I had learned, but had forgotten. Both Caption Heads on the DVD teach in Texas and Eddie Green, to whom they credit much of their teaching philosophy, used to teach in my old school district.

The DVD is divided into four main sections:

1 Old Techniques, New Traditions

2 Exercises and the Daily Drill

3 Teaching and Rehearsal Strategies

4 Warmup and the Show

On the DVD, Mark McGahey and David Bertman discuss the benefits and uses of a "Daily Drill" and fundamental routines. You watch and listen as the Cavaliers play the exercises and the narrators discuss what is going on for you. They stress planning and having goals for rehearsals.

It also includes an audio recording The Cavaliers 2003 show, Spincycle.

I hope this helps.

From and educator's standpoint, you might also look at "Essential Musicianship for Band: Ensemble Concepts" by Eddie Green, David Bertman and John Benzer. It is a full band daily drill. Get the Conductor Book and it explains their philosophy and provides you with many exercises that fit into that philosophy. I have found that The Cavaliers DVD and this book work well together. You can find this book at Penders.com.

Again, I hope this helps

I did finally get the DVD and I think it's a great teaching tool. Such a wonderful resource for young educators, like myself. I would love to see those two guys in action with the hornline sometime. Thanks for the comments.