Looking for a new mouthpeice

GTFan513

Im looking to get a new mouthpeice that A: improves range and B: improves embuscher (sp?) stregnth...are there any suggestions? I play on an off brand 3C and a Schilke 14a4a which I know doesnt improve stregnth... I play on a 25 year old Bach Strad in very good condition...plays well...Model 37... would there be a better Trumpet for me to get to help me improve some of these aspects. Im thinking that Im marching corp this next year or the year after...either Spirit or Crown...I donno but I wanted to know what yall's opinion is...

PS..Im only looking to spend 50-75 dollars on this mouthpeice, but you can tell me whatever mouthpeices you prefer

Edited by GTFan513

We used the Marcinkiewicz 308 when I marched Bluecoats. It's similar a Bach 1 1/2, but the rim is much easier on the chops.

With a 25 year old 37 I would suggest a 25 year old bach 1 1/2 C or 1 1/4 C. Kanstul currently sells something very similar. The "BMV" series... Bach Mt. Vernon. They have fairly flat rims like the marcinkiewicz Hefty mentioned, are generally a pretty good match for that horn, and if you play on it concentrating on form and quality of sound it'll give you a workout. I'll admit they're big compared to a modern 3C, but once you get used to it there are a lot of benifits for most people I know.

Oh and as long as it's a good one that 37 is a pretty good horn for a lot of different styles of music. Yes, even lead playing.

[stock "everybody's different" disclaimer]

edit: if you go that direction be sure to talk to kanstul not bach. the new bach pieces are crap.

Edited by John Schmitt

My suggestion to you would be the "Marcinkiewicz" line of mouthpieces. I absolutely love these mouthpieces. I like them because they are comfortable...no sharp rim like a "bach" mouthpiece...they give you good endurance, are great for range and produce an all around good sound. They work well for all different styles of music, and are great for corps playing. If you are going to be doing mostly classical playing, you would be better to go with either a #1 or a #3...which will give you a darker sound. Otherwise, if you are going to be playing a lot of different styles, you could go with some of the higher numbers. I am playing on a Marcinkiewicz #5 which works very well for a variety of different styles. I would suggest trying either a #3 or a #5...but, try as many as you need to find the one that's right for you.

The Bach Strad 37 is a great all around horn. I stand by these horns and wouldn't trade mine for anything!

Best of Wishes to you for your plans to march Corps....it is an experience like no other....and one that you will treasure forever. :)

simply put, from the words of my college professor, play on a mouthpiece that feels good to you. its all about your embachure, breath support, etc. all a "better" horn will do is make your short comings more obvious.

so in conclusion, play on a mouthpiece that you like, and through practice, and reping the crap out of your basics your range, color, etc will improve. but i could totally be wrong considering i play tuba but whatever.

simply put, from the words of my college professor, play on a mouthpiece that feels good to you. its all about your embachure, breath support, etc. all a "better" horn will do is make your short comings more obvious.

so in conclusion, play on a mouthpiece that you like, and through practice, and reping the crap out of your basics your range, color, etc will improve. but i could totally be wrong considering i play tuba but whatever.

You're absolutley right. My professor says the same thing. Allen Vizzuti plays on a 7c student size mouthpiece and he is one of the best trumpet virtuosi alive today. It's all in the player man, whatever's best for you. There is never a quicker way of achieving what you want onther than a crap load of practice. :)

Edited by ictrumpet

As brass players, we consider ourselves fortunate that we do not have to constantly fork over money for reeds that wear out. Then why do we always buy a new mouthpiece?? I have a fair collection that I have built up.

The best way to find a new mouthpiece is:

Go to a music convention, such a the International Trumpet Guild Conference or Texas Music Educator's Association. At events like these, many vendors set up booths to sell their merchandise. This gives you a chance to play on many different styles/brands/sizes of mouthpieces. Also, the vendors will ask you about what kind of sound you want and will listen to you to match your goals. While they are intent on selling you their brand, they are knowledgeable and most willing to help.

Or

Go to a music store and spend some time trying out what they have there.

In other words, try out mouthpieces to figure out what feels right to you. Do not get a huge/extra small mouthpiece just because your friends might be doing it.

That said, a new mouthpiece will not give you an improved range or strength. Only correct practice can give you that. With that said, I cannot leave it there, but it is overall too much to go into right now. However, a former trumpet teacher of mine has a great website with many trumpet tips and a good high range exercise is included.

Dr. Wurtz at SFASU

I know this is a lot to digest, but I hope it helps.

Roger Williams

Revolution DBC

Brass Caption Head